Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Managed to wrangle Calciferol finally, didn't even have to do anything dodgy. It's the one thing this apocalypse has been denying me and haven't been feeling great.

Managed to wrangle Calciferol finally, didn't even have to do anything dodgy. It's the one thing this apocalypse has been denying me and haven't been feeling great.

You need to spend more time in the sun ;) ... South Africans very rarely suffer from S.A.D. / Vitamin D deficiencies

All fine and dandy, you are already not allowed to drink before 18, or drive if over the legal limit, soon to be 0%, don’t dare drink cough mixture before you drive, rather cough over officer, going to love seeing someone with bronchitis trying to take a breathalyzer test, yet the booze is available.

There is nothing wrong with the laws, it’s the enforcement and education that is the problem. I sometimes think these guys just make laws for the sake of making laws and seeing their names on it. But I do agree that especially binge drinking is a problem, but I can’t judge as I was chief buyer as I was the tallest for most garage parties, 6’1 since standard 6.

I exposed my sons from a young age, 10 plus to “proe” if they wanted to, one drinks nothing and other used to have a 1/2 tot bourbon with coke with me sometimes while I still did had something before my neural event. Take the mystery away, then no need for them to experiment. Same with driving, I did it a 16, F250 to deliver straw for friends horses, or “boom sticks”. If they know it and grow up around it, know how to operate and safe use, no mystery, no behind the back experiments. I started “booming” at age 5, my sons the same. Big difference I trust my son behind me now as backup, won’t allow a lot of other people behind me in any situation.

Laws don’t change behavior, example and training far bigger impact. Proof is in telling a 3 year old don’t do that.

images

All fine and dandy, you are already not allowed to drink before 18, or drive if over the legal limit, soon to be 0%, don’t dare drink cough mixture before you drive, rather cough over officer, going to love seeing someone with bronchitis trying to take a breathalyzer test, yet the booze is available.

There is nothing wrong with the laws, it’s the enforcement and education that is the problem. I sometimes think these guys just make laws for the sake of making laws and seeing their names on it. But I do agree that especially binge drinking is a problem, but I can’t judge as I was chief buyer as I was the tallest for most garage parties, 6’1 since standard 6.

I exposed my sons from a young age, 10 plus to “proe” if they wanted to, one drinks nothing and other used to have a 1/2 tot bourbon with coke with me sometimes while I still did had something before my neural event. Take the mystery away, then no need for them to experiment. Same with driving, I did it a 16, F250 to deliver straw for friends horses, or “boom sticks”. If they know it and grow up around it, know how to operate and safe use, no mystery, no behind the back experiments. I started “booming” at age 5, my sons the same. Big difference I trust my son behind me now as backup, won’t allow a lot of other people behind me in any situation.

Laws don’t change behavior, example and training far bigger impact. Proof is in telling a 3 year old don’t do that.
Laws are part of the arsenal to combat the alcohol issue... I'm sure this announcement will trigger a massive debate within the society and hopefully raise awareness about the ravages of substance misuse in general

[USERGROUP=3]@Admins[/USERGROUP] - problems with server ?

What happened?
The web server is not returning a connection. As a result, the web page is not displaying.

What can I do?
If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not responding. Additional troubleshooting information.

[USERGROUP=3]@Admins[/USERGROUP] - problems with server ?

What happened?
The web server is not returning a connection. As a result, the web page is not displaying.

What can I do?
If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not responding. Additional troubleshooting information.

Yip, I have also been getting intermittent faults this morning.

The technical Team is looking into it.

You need to spend more time in the sun ;) ... South Africans very rarely suffer from S.A.D. / Vitamin D deficiencies

Kind of a fallacy, in fact majority of South Africans have darker skin pigments and darker skin actually suffers the most from Vitamin D deficiency. Then there is the factor of how some people simply don't metabolise it as well due to auto-immune issues and diet. Sunscreen messes with Vitamin D production too, so the weighing of risk of skin cancer versus a supplement to me is an easy one. Most people don't know that they are deficient because the idea is that a deficiency makes you depressed when it in fact messes with so much more and is not routinely screened.

13-15% of the world's population suffers from extreme vitamin D deficiency not just our pale cousins in the snow and long nights ;)

Kind of a fallacy, in fact majority of South Africans have darker skin pigments and darker skin actually suffers the most from Vitamin D deficiency. Then there is the factor of how some people simply don't metabolise it as well due to auto-immune issues and diet. Sunscreen messes with Vitamin D production too, so the weighing of risk of skin cancer versus a supplement to me is an easy one. Most people don't know that they are deficient because the idea is that a deficiency makes you depressed when it in fact messes with so much more and is not routinely screened.

13-15% of the world's population suffers from extreme vitamin D deficiency not just our pale cousins in the snow and long nights ;)

I'll have to go do some more research, as my current understanding is that we need to be very careful supplementing the fat soluble vitamins, (A, D, E, and K), as one can easily overdose on them, and ... they are all toxic to us in this state, (hypervitaminosis).

I'll have to go do some more research, as my current understanding is that we need to be very careful supplementing the fat soluble vitamins, (A, D, E, and K), as one can easily overdose on them, and ... they are all toxic to us in this state, (hypervitaminosis).

Hence why Calciferol is prescription only and why you have to get a blood test screening by a proper lab to see what's cooking. I have olive skin and I'm active outside. It's long been seen as a precursor to type II diabetes, when I was diagnosed I had almost no vitamin D, since I supplemented and changed my diet, I've been medication free with an Hb1ac of 4.6% for 5 years now and officially free of diabetes.

Hence why Calciferol is prescription only and why you have to get a blood test screening by a proper lab to see what's cooking. I have olive skin and I'm active outside. It's long been seen as a precursor to type II diabetes, when I was diagnosed I had almost no vitamin D, since I supplemented and changed my diet, I've been medication free with an Hb1ac of 4.6% for 5 years now and officially free of diabetes.

Glad to hear you're doing this properly, as apposed most peoples take on ALL vitamins ... which is pretty much a case of picking up a few boxes of the cheapest on the shelf multi vitamins and then shoving 'em down their gullets as and when the whim takes them :eek:

Government extends South Africa’s state of disaster by another month
Staff Writer11 February 2021

Cabinet has announced the extension of South Africa’s national state of disaster by a further month.

In a statement on it latest decisions published on Wednesday (10 February), cabinet said that the state of disaster will now continue until 15 March 2021.

The extension is expected to be officially gazetted Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma in the coming days.

The latest extension is notable as it will be a full year since the state of disaster was introduced for the country in March 2020.

Back