Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FlySafair may bill you R100,000 – and ban you for life – if you refuse to wear a mask
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/f...-for-life-if-you-refuse-to-wear-a-mask-2021-2
15 Feb. 2021

• Low-cost carrier, FlySafair, confirms that passengers who refuse to comply with mandatory face mask laws are discretely handed a warning card.
  • This card details the consequences for continuous refusal, which includes arrest and being added to the “no-fly” list.
  • It also states that the plane’s captain may decide to divert the flight and, if that happens, the offending passenger will be slapped with a R100,000 bill to cover the cost of wasted fuel and admin.

Yes we are at the end of the second wave. We're launching the vaccination campaign this side tomorrow :)

That's great news.

At least something is starting to happen. We still don't know if we qualify for the first phase. And all our collection depots registered as vaccination sites and no word yet. I can see this is being used as a vote scoring tactic by politicians.

That's great news.

At least something is starting to happen. We still don't know if we qualify for the first phase. And all our collection depots registered as vaccination sites and no word yet. I can see this is being used as a vote scoring tactic by politicians.
Healthcare workers are divided into categories (4) depending on where you work and what you do. You are definitely part of phase 1 but probably in the last category as you don't have contact with patients (if my guess is right).

Healthcare workers are divided into categories (4) depending on where you work and what you do. You are definitely part of phase 1 but probably in the last category as you don't have contact with patients (if my guess is right).

Spent my first 5 years working with patients. Never again.

Our CEO sent an e-mail that he whole company qualify. But yesterday they said they are still waiting for confirmation. Initially they wanted to do a mass vaccination for the whole company but government didn't want that. It just would have made the admin and logistics so much easier for everybody.

But I'm in no rush. It's the staff that uses public transport that I'm worried about. 7 out of 12 on my shift alone got it and they all uses taxis and busses.

I'm just glad something is happening. Even if it's at an African pace. Every shot is one less channel of transmission.

Eskom will increase electricity tariffs by 15.63% on 1 April 2021, the power utility has confirmed to MyBroadband.

This follows the power utility and the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) reaching an agreement on Eskom’s allowable revenue for the 2021/2022 financial year.

The settlement was confirmed in a court order handed down by Justice Joseph Raulinga on 15 February.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/ener...-prices-by-over-15.html?utm_source=newsletter

Experts suggest sugar tax be increased
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/experts-suggest-sugar-tax-be-increased
17 Feb. 2021

"The soft drinks and beverage industry will soon be forced to clearly indicate the fat, salt and sugar composition of products on the front of its packaging. Experts have also suggested that an increase in sugar tax – the current suggestion is to push it from 10% to 20% – will improve health outcomes and boost revenue collection.

The proposal was made just as the Minister of Finance Tito Mboweni is due to make his 2021 Budget Speech next week.

According to experts – as reported by SABC News – a further increase in taxes on sugary beverages will not only cause a reduction in diseases such as diabetes, but will also support the country’s ever-increasing tax collection shortfall.

According to Karen Hofman, who is the Director of the South African Medical Research Centre for Health Economics and Decision Science (SAMRC), a 20% tax increase on sugary beverages will help reduce comorbidities, which have led to increased COVID-19-related deaths among the population.

The government currently projects a R300-million shortfall in revenue in 2021’s budget. Experts, however, believe that a significant shortfall of R250-billion can still be recovered, as sin tax was lost during lockdown when alcohol and tobacco sales were banned.

“Of the alcohol, tobacco, and sugary beverages – those taxes in total comprise 3.5% of government revenue. The government is going to be collecting substantially less of what that they had anticipated,” said Director of Research at the University of Cape Town, Corne van Walbeek. “The main reason for that is because of the ban on cigarette sales during 2020 for 20 weeks and the three different bans on the sale of alcohol during that same time period.” [my highlights]

And guess where the govt. will be looking for more sin tax? Stock up on vape stuff now!

Stock on nicotine. I have 200ml of 100mg/ml in my fridge. Not sure what it’s life span is though.
We face similar dramas here with this AU nicotine ban still hanging in the air for now. My nicotine is all in the freezer itself set on extra cold as I've been advised it's the best way to store it. My understanding is it can be stored for two years in freezer storage but it could be wrong?

Back