Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone know where to go for a rapid test? I think I may have finally caught this crap.

Some Dischem branches do the rapid test. Just make sure it's not the antibody test.

If you got medical aid, most of them cover for 2 PCR tests a year.

Anyone know where to go for a rapid test? I think I may have finally caught this crap.

I hope and pray not! ... I've buried way too many family and friends this past year ;(

Where are you are based? ... The Total garage up the road from me in Senderwood, (opposite Saheti School), has a "Drive Through / Rapid Test" facility. I thankfully haven't had the need to test it tho'.

I hope and pray not! ... I've buried way too many family and friends this past year ;(

Where are you are based? ... The Total garage up the road from me in Senderwood, (opposite Saheti School), has a "Drive Through / Rapid Test" facility. I thankfully haven't had the need to test it tho'.
Anybody knows the pricing on these tests ?

Anybody knows the pricing on these tests ?

The PCR test is R850. That price is regulated and is the same for all private labs. This is the most sensitive test and also used for traveling and data collection.

For the Rapid and antibody tests can be anything from R250 to R500.

Four schools in Calvinia closed after 36 Covid-19 cases reported

Kimberley - Four schools in the Calvinia area have been temporarily closed after 36 Covid-19 cases were detected among teachers, pupils and support staff.

The Northern Cape Department of Education said on Wednesday that Hantam High School, Hantam Primary School, Calvinia High School and Calvinia Primary School will be closed for the next 10 days, which will allow for disinfecting of the schools and extensive mass testing of teachers, pupils and support staff.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...reported-f2c14d91-09b0-419e-9b88-d2dbb9551746

Spain: Travel ban on South Africa
https://www.all4women.co.za/2210482...ychelles-now-spain-travel-ban-on-south-africa
10 March 2021

" The Spanish government has extended its existing ban on travellers from South Africa, UK and Brazil entering the country by air until the end of March, citing concerns over variant strains of COVID-19 discovered in these countries.

Originally set to expire on February 17, the entry prohibition does not apply to residents and nationals of Spain and the neighbouring Andorra..."

Emirates is flying passengers into SA again from this week – but only cargo going out
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/e...rom-this-week-but-only-cargo-going-out-2021-3
9 March 2021

• Emirates will restart passenger flights from Dubai to Johannesburg on Thursday.
  • But South Africans will still not be allowed to board outbound flights as the United Arab Emirates’ travel ban stays in place until at least 20 March.

Thanks everyone, dischem only does the PCR, I'm feeling way better, decided a test was redundant, will just stay away from people for a few days. Either I had something else or I had the baby version, had a headache today and all other symptoms have moved on.

Thanks everyone, dischem only does the PCR, I'm feeling way better, decided a test was redundant, will just stay away from people for a few days. Either I had something else or I had the baby version, had a headache today and all other symptoms have moved on.

Please be careful ... A good friend of mine passed away last Friday after spending her last 43 days in ICU ... the story goes that her partner came home with mild flu symptoms that dissipated after three days, however not before infecting my mate :-( ... It's not just your health at risk #justsaying

Please be careful ... A good friend of mine passed away last Friday after spending her last 43 days in ICU ... the story goes that her partner came home with mild flu symptoms that dissipated after three days, however not before infecting my mate :-( ... It's not just your health at risk #justsaying

literally said I would stay away from people for a while. Don't stress!

Insurers planning for ‘two and a half more Covid-19 waves’ in South Africa
South Africa may still be short of the halfway mark of the Covid-19 pandemic, even after two distinct waves of the coronavirus swept through the country over the past year.

“We are basically planning for two-and-a-half more waves,” Sanlam chief executive officer Paul Hanratty said by phone.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/tre...-waves-in-south-africa/?utm_source=newsletter

Countries suspend Astrazeneca vaccine rollout over blood clot concerns
Health officials in a number of European countries suspended the use of the Astrazeneca vaccine on Thursday (11 March), citing concerns that the vaccine can cause potentially fatal blood clots.

Iceland, Denmark and Norway have all suspended use of the vaccine, with Italy and Romania pausing shots due to concerns about a specific batch of vaccines, the New York Times reported.

A huge shoutout to the Mangaung “Metro” acting mayor for going out of his way to make sure we live an authentic camping experience in our own homes. No water for more than 24 hours then less than an hour after we saw some muddy sh@t coming out of the taps, he didn’t hesitate to bless us with some f.ing load shedding for more than 2 hours now. You got this man!

SA factory on track to produce J&J vaccine
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/johnson-vaccine-preparation-at-pe-factor-on-track-2021-3
12 March 2021

"Aspen is on track to deliver the first batch of Johnson & Johnson vaccines from its Gqeberha (until recently Port Elizabeth) factory before June this year, the company confirmed this week...

The factory will receive the coronavirus vaccine in frozen format from Janssen Pharmaceutica, the Belgium-based division of Johnson & Johnson which developed it.

It will then be thawed, vials will be filled with the liquid vaccine, and then closed – through an entirely mechanised process, to ensure sterile conditions and no human contact.

The finished vials will be packaged in special containers, at the correct temperature, before being returned to Johnson & Johnson, which will export it across the world. It is expected – although not yet confirmed – that the three million doses of J&J vaccine that South Africa anticipates between April and June may come from the locally finished stock...

As many as 300 million doses of the vaccine could be packaged in South Africa.

More than 110,000 South African medical workers have already been vaccinated with the jab, as part of a “implementation study”, which is similar to the final phase of a vaccine trial and will test the real-life efficacy of the vaccination in South Africa.

Recent data, released by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US, showed the vaccine has a 64% efficacy rate against the more contagious South African variant.

Vaccine efficacy against severe Covid cases was 73%, 14 days after vaccination, increasing to 82% at least 28 days after vaccination.

There were no deaths due to Covid among South African trial participants who received the J&J vaccine. More than 5,000 South Africans took part in the J&J vaccine trial in recent months, of which around half received a placebo vaccine.

The major benefit of the vaccine is that it is only a single dose. Also – unlike other vaccines that require ultra-low temperatures - it can be stored in a domestic-type fridge for a month..."

Back