What Watt?

Are you using the twisp juice? I see you’re using a Vega but I don’t know if you said what ejuice you’re vaping.

@Paul33 I'm not using Twisp juice. The guy in the shop said I could use any juice. I must admit, I have been wondering about that. Perhaps I'll get a bottle of Twisp juice just to test. However, up to now, I've been very happy with the Mini Vega, using all kinds of juce - except Twisp

@Silver Thank you for a most compre
Hi @Hooked, you have asked an excellent question and the guys have given great feedback

Allow me to just add a few things which might help

Firstly, I agree with @Rob Fisher , there is is no right or wrong wattage. If you are comfortable with 20W on your device with your coil and your juices then that is great. As long as you are enjoying the vape then you are winning. Thats the nice thing about a variable wattage device - you can change the wattage to suit your taste.

So what wattage is ideal?
Well, it depends on a number of things. The coil and wire used in the coil. The airflow. The vaping style. The juice. How much heat you want.

I have several setups running at totally different wattages but each is suitable for that device, coil and juice.

• My little Evod1 has a stock coil 1.8 ohms. Its a very tight Mouth to Lung. So very little airflow. I am running it at 6 Watts on my istick20. Its a mild kind of vape and very low power, so i use 18mg juice. I also use 50/50 juice in it because the little coil cant easily handle very thick high VG juice. Its perfect for me for my stealth out and about and my morning light MTL vaping sessions.
  • Next is my SirenV2. Also MTL but a bit more power. It has a 1.5 ohm coil in it made with thinnish 28g wire and 12mg juice. Am vaping that at 12.5 Watts. Its great. If i go lower its not enough vapour. If i go much higher it starts to taste a bit burnt.
  • Then there is my Petri V2 RDA. It has a 0.36 ohm coil in it with thicker 26g wire. Its a direct lung atty with more airflow. I vape it at 40-50Watts for the current juice (peanut butter ice cream). Seems the temperature and vaporisation is ideal around that wattage. At 50 its a bit hotter and 40 a bit cooler.

Here is a pic of the three setups referred to above. Evod, Siren and Petri.

dcaadc62eb720b42eaa95dea64640922.jpg

So what I am trying to show is that each setup has its own wattage range where the vape feels best to me.

It turns out that the wattage required depends a lot on the wire used in the coil. The wire needs to get heated up to vaporise the juice. So thinner wire (as used in the older style Evod coils) need less power than fatter wire. With the fatter wires, there's more metal so it needs more power to heat it up. Thinner wire gets heated up much quicker so it can get away with much less power. At the end of the day its about what power does one need to get a certain temperature at the coil.

The thinner wires tend to have higher resistance than the fatter wires.

I have also found that the "mech equivalent" power for a particular coil is round about where the ideal wattage range is for that coil on a variable wattage device. For a mechanical device (where you cant change wattage) the power is Vsquared over R. So in your case of your 0.6 ohm coil its 29 watts. (4.2*4.2/0.6)

I have found that the ideal power for a particular coil when using a variable wattage device seldom goes way off that mech equivalent.

Look at me. My Evod is 1.8 ohms. mech equiv is around 9 Watts and I use 6 Watts.
My SirenV2 is 1.5 ohms. Mech equiv is 12 watts. I am using 12.5 Watts
My Petri V2 RDA coil is 0.36 ohms. Mech equiv is 49Watts. I am using 40-50 Watts

So back to your question of why should you get a mod that is capable of much higher wattage?

Well, if you get an atty that you put in a lower resistance coil and has a lot more airflow, it will more than likely require a lot more than 40 Watts to really shine. You may not like that vape. Usually much bigger clouds. But you may like it a lot. Without having that mod you cant experiment with those types of vapes.

@Rob Fisher is also correct in saying that if you prefer just flavour you will probably not require a higher power than 40W. But there are other advantages of buying say a 2 battery high power mod. If you run it at say 40 W it will most likely last longer (battery life wise) than your mod because its not being pushed too hard. Yours will be maxing out.

I think vapers who want to experiment with other styles of vaping, lower resistance coils and bigger airflow and clouds should certainly consider getting a high power mod. Even if at the end of it you just use it at much lower power, it gives you options.

@Silver Thank you for a most comprehensive reply. It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into it and I appreciate it a lot!
I certainly do have problems with battery power and it drives me up the wall! I have 3 vape devices and 2 phones and I spend my time in a charging frenzy! I think I'll have to invest in something/anything that has two batteries. When I'm ready to do so I'll start a new thread asking for advice.

@Hooked, the o-rings are found on all atty's, be they tanks using commercial coils to RDA's. This is to help limit the risk of juice leaking out of your atty. They are not found on the mod.
It’s usually a silicone or plastic ring and found where metal or glass parts slide against each other in order to create a seal.

On commercial coils there is an indication of the power range at which the coils can be operated. Going below the indicated range does not allow the coil to get hot enough to sufficiently vapourise the juice. Going above the indicated range heats the coil too much, causing the coil to dry out too quickly and produce a dry hit toward the end of your drag. This is probably why you are getting a sore throat when trying to vape at 40W.

There are 2 main benefits of using a more powerful devise. You are able to use atty’s that require greater power (lower resistance) without the necessity of getting a new mod, and increasing the battery life when using a wattage setting well below the max wattage of the mod, much like the fuel usage of driving a car at lower speed compared to driving at maximum speed. So with a more powerful mod you have greater versatility of coil set-ups and greater battery life.

“Growing up” does not mean to have to vape at high wattage. It’s all a matter of preference. People like @Silver and @Rob Fisher have been vaping for a long time and are highly respected on this forum, both vape at low wattage due to their preferred style of vaping. Others, also experienced and respected, vape at a higher wattage, also due to their preferred style. High wattage tends to cater to the cloud lovers while low wattage caters to the flavour junkies. High wattage produces a warmer vape than low wattage.

Hope this helps without throwing in the added dilemma of choosing between an atty that uses commercial coils as opposed to rebuildable atty's and has been well addressed by previous posts on this thread.

@Stillwaters It helps a lot, thank you!!

@Silver Thank you for a most compre

@Silver Thank you for a most comprehensive reply. It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into it and I appreciate it a lot!
I certainly do have problems with battery power and it drives me up the wall! I have 3 vape devices and 2 phones and I spend my time in a charging frenzy! I think I'll have to invest in something/anything that has two batteries. When I'm ready to do so I'll start a new thread asking for advice.

I know what you mean about the charging frenzy

The nice thing about mods that take removable batteries (typically 18650 batteries) is that you can keep a few of them charged up and when you need to change batteries you just pop out the flat ones and put the fresh ones in and carry on.

I have more batteries than i need in all my mods so even if i dont use the charger i could go for about a week at least.

When im in a "charging mood" I start charging the flat ones...

Back