Battle Of The Box Mods(with Attys)!

@MurderDoll, I'm not. It then functions just as a plain old mech box mod. Nowhere near as good as the Hana or IPV. If you don't use it as a bottom feeder, it's nowhere near as good a regular mod.

@MurderDoll, I'm not. It then functions just as a plain old mech box mod. Nowhere near as good as the Hana or IPV. If you don't use it as a bottom feeder, it's nowhere near as good a regular mod.
OK. Again you missing the point.

I'm clearly not explaining it correctly.

Box mod or not. Convert the aqua or trident or any atomiser to bottom feed and it still serves the exact same purpose.

*Edit. I'm also curious as to why you say the REO is nowhere near as good as the others?

We're clearly on different wavelengths.

Lets assume we decide we love the Aqua. However sometimes we want to vape 18mg, other times 6mg, but at a higher wattage. Can the Reo change wattage on the fly? Assuming your battery runs low at a mate's house and you have no backup, can you charge it with just a cellphone charger? They're very close to being the same size and weight and the Cana or IPV cost a bit less. The IPV has an adjustable 510 too (not sure about the Reo, don't know them well).

Lets assume we decide we love the Aqua. However sometimes we want to vape 18mg, other times 6mg, but at a higher wattage. Can the Reo change wattage on the fly? Assuming your battery runs low at a mate's house and you have no backup, can you charge it with just a cellphone charger? They're very close to being the same size and weight and the Cana or IPV cost a bit less. The IPV has an adjustable 510 too (not sure about the Reo, don't know them well).

I get what you're saying. And yes absolutely right. The Cana or IPV function very well in that role. Should you prefer a tank system.

Some just loves Reos and some Electronic mods. Im all about the electronic. Never spend that cash on a reo. Rather get myself two new electronic mods. Just my point!

Exactly @Alex. Hence if you remove the bottom-feed system from the Reo, you're getting rid of what's special about it

Some just loves Reos and some Electronic mods. Im all about the electronic. Never spend that cash on a reo. Rather get myself two new electronic mods. Just my point!

I hear you and will chat to you in 6 months time. Been there done that and have a number of t-shirts! :rock:

If a vaper prefers a regulated vape, then the Reo and any other pure mechanical mod is not for him/her, but that's just my opinion.

So are there any regulated bottom feeders?

Very valid point.

But you have only looked at it from one side.

If you've never used a REO, I doubt you'll ever understand it.
I have both systems and love them both. But the reo is still better. You won't understand it until you have one.

I want to know who have one in Cpt. So that i can go test it and see what all the fuss is about!!

Make an appointment with the 2 retailers in Cape town who stock them.

I dont think VapeMob have there to test. I was yesterday there and vapor mountain. Just open after hours on Tuesdays and thursdays. Im like 80km away from them. Ill c what i can do. Thx

Exactly @Alex. Hence if you remove the bottom-feed system from the Reo, you're getting rid of what's special about it

@Mike, you are right. If you don't use the bottom feeding of the REO, then it is not as versatile as a regulated device that can change the power.

However, bear in mind that the REO was designed as a bottom feeding system. And to bottom feed a dripper.

So if you like a dripper - and want the "convenience of a tank system" - then the REO is extremely hard to beat.

It does bring me back to something I said previously in this thread.
If you like the type of vape you get on a dripper, then the REO is the way to go
If not and you prefer a tank type of vape, then the REO is not the way to go at all...
Or... even if you do like a dripper, but don't need that vape all day (i.e. just for the odd taste here and there) - then you don't need a REO

Just to refresh. I have tried quite a few Clearos, stock coils, rebuilt coils, Kayfun and a few others. The best vape for me and my preference is a well set up dripper. The REOs give me an excellent dripper vape all day, every day with no fuss or bother. 3 months and not one problem. In fact, I'm about to buy another one.... ;-)

I do still use a IGO-L dripper on a SVD for occasional tasting, but my workhorses are my REOs. At home, office and on the road.

Let me tell you how the Reo is special for me.

1. You can chuck it in the sink and give it a good wash, take it out shake it off, and you're good to go.
2. Building coils is super easy and fast, Reomizer has a ceramic deck.
3. Almost indestructible little mod.
4. Lifetime support from Rob the creator/owner.
5. Best vape you will ever get from any device.
6. Super easy to change juices and batteries.
7. Can still drip from the top when you feel like trying a new juice on the fly.
8. Really cheap once you consider it's not a clone.
9. In 2/4/6/8/10 years time, will still be the same awesome device.
10. It's compact, and doesn't leak
11. It's amazing.
12. fantastic.
13. Best support community.

Yea @Silver. My initial point was that it's not totally fair to compare the Reo as a mod to a Cana or IPV. I wasn't for a second disagreeing that Reos aren't cool - no need for anyone here to get so defensive (or condescending). The Reo is it's own system and you do make certain sacrifices for it, but the perks far outweigh the cons. Everyone has different requirements and priorities which is why there's a huge amount of devices out there.

I'm loving all the points ppl have made here!! It's interesting to think as a vaper what is the best option for yourself and also what best suits your needs (flavor, quality of vape and useability.

These are not really comparable box mods

The reo is bottom feeding and the other two are not.
So you are right, no point in putting a non bottom fed topper on a REO

The way i see it, the comparison above is between a bottom fed mechanical REO and a electronic box mod with a tank rebuildable on top.

I.e. The comparison here for me is the whole system, not the parts

You are quite right! I only did compare them cause they are box designs lol

Of course you are correct. Bottom feed is part of the magic of a Reo. I have used a Cana with Aqua and Russian and it works great. But I have sold the Cana for the following reasons:
  1. The Cana give you the same power all the time, which is great. But in real life for me the difference in vape with a mech mod is minuscule. I have heard of one person that is extremely sensitive to the gradual loss of power in a mech. For that and similar persons the Cana and the like is heaven sent.
  2. With a mech I have to switch out batteries more frequently, but that is a moment's work.
  3. Switching out the battery on the Cana not so easy. And those little screws will get worn out and the threads will strip. Of course you can charge without removing the batteries, but that takes the mod out of use for some time in practical terms. I am sure this will be addressed in future models though.
  4. The Cana is more expensive and bigger than a mech (not a Reo obviously).
  5. The Cana will long have given up the ghost (which is the nature of all electronic devices) whilst the mech will still be going strong. And the Cana is much more likely to break at an inconvenient time than a mech mod.
Above for me the difference between a high power electronic mod and a mech mod. After some time with a Cana, I prefer a mech mod for my money. And my IPV 50 on the way will probably go the same route.

As for the Reo system a whole lot of other factors come into play, some which are set out in this thread. Many others in the Reoville forum. In the end I agree with @Rob Fisher, you need to try a Reo out for yourself for some time to really appreciate and declare on it.

Well summed up @Alex !
Couldn't agree more there.

Just to add a few things and thoughts from my side on my journey.

I am a technology gadget lover. I love gadgets that make my life easier. When I first came across the REO from local REO master, @Andre, I was like "WTF, there is NO WAY I will go for this device." I wanted something with more electronic wizardry like the Evic that could be programmed on my computer to vary the vape.

Just so you know, I'm the type of guy that has a spreadsheet of every cycle of my MVPs and how many puffs I got from fresh to flat. I love stats. I love digital things!

The REO is comparatively such a dumb device - that I thought there would be no way I would like it.

But the more I vaped, the more I realised that it wasn't the wizardry that gave me a good vape. It was the coil, the wick and the juice.

After a plethora of devices, I got to the the humble IGO-L dripper. Such a simple looking thing. I tried many combinations of coils, different heights off the deck, close to the posts, close to the airhole - and eventually, I found my ideal setup (incidentally, quite high and close to the edge for strong throat hit and still good flavour). But I got tired of dripping. This was not an all day solution. But I loved that vape so much.

Just so you know, I found the stock Clearos weren't intense enough. The rebuilt Clearo coils had better flavour but I needed more throat hit. I found the Kayfun had great flavour but just couldn't give me the same throat hit (as my reference IGO-L dripper) no matter what coil combo I tried or height above the deck. And it was a pain to change wicks or flavours.

I said to myself, if the REO can give me that exact same IGO-L dripper vape but free me from the hassle of dripping, then I will take it. @Andre said it could. And I took his word. He was 100% right!

So 3 months and 3 REOs later, I am a now without doubt a happy vaper. I get dense, rich flavour and super strong throat hit. And I get it all the time.

I think it works especially well for me because I really like my strong throat hit. If I didn't need such throat hit, I may not have ended up in Reoville.

Nevertheless, it's quite incredible that I have grown to love and appreciate such a relatively "dumb" mechanical device. But when its set up properly, it just performs so well that I am always astonished and pleased.

Last edited:
You are quite right! I only did compare them cause they are box designs lol

No worries @paulph201 - your comparisons were spot on - this is a great real world comparison.

And the points made on this thread are extremely valid for vapers to help them discover what works for them best.
The discussion on here is fantastic. You started off something great.

By the way, we will be waiting for your views on these "systems" a month in....

Back