eLeaf iStick 50W on the oscilloscope

that looks owesome.realy a fantastic device from my point of view.but still just want to wait a bit longer and see what smok cums up with.then i will compare and then decide,hahaha.

I can agree.... It feels really solid in my hand. I do not have a constant fear of dropping it and then breaking the glass on my nautilus head

I was wondering at what watts/volts to run mind on. I have used it on 4.6v the whole time and I am quite happy...

Any suggestions ?

I can agree.... It feels really solid in my hand. I do not have a constant fear of dropping it and then breaking the glass on my nautilus head

I was wondering at what watts/volts to run mind on. I have used it on 4.6v the whole time and I am quite happy...

Any suggestions ?

Switch to Wattage mode - makes it easier to find a nice setting for each juice. Then use it at around 14-20W with the Nautilus (depending on juice).

View attachment 21751

Here it is ... How do I lower the resistance? Is that based on the coil and is the battery clever enough to detect the resistance?
The resistance is fixed, if you want to change the resistance you need to change the coil. In wattage mode you select your desired wattage that the coil will produce, the circuitry works out how many volts to supply to the coil... it's like magic, just a lot more awesome :)

Exactly what @BumbleBee said :D

Also, don't worry about the resistance - the higher resistance is going to keep you vaping for much longer between charges than a lower resistance coil because you need less power to get it warmed up :)

But isn't it true that a lower resistance produces a better throat hit and a better vapour.

Sure, the lower resistance+higher power does produce more (and denser) vapour (and by extension throat hit).

However, the Nautilus was not designed for that. So for that you would need to invest in a different atomizer...the SubTank Mini is fantastic in this regard :D

But isn't it true that a lower resistance produces a better throat hit and a better vapour.
Generally yes, but this applies mostly to lower power mods, simple eGo type batteries and especially mechanical devices. With the more powerful devices like the iStick50 the voltage is kicked up significantly. With rebuildables you will be able to build lower ohm coils with thicker wire, the idea here is that it increases the surface area of the coil to maximize flavour and vapour production.

yeah, @free3dom is right, don't push the Nautilus too hard, when you get more comfortable with the power then look at the SubTank mini, it's a great way to get in to sub ohm territory and when you feel confident enough you can start rebuilding on it too :)

uploadfromtaptalk1424425033329.jpg

This device rock the socks. ADV at 15W with the 1.2 ohm occ coil is amazing. Battery has barely moved in the 12 hours.
I would have charged my spinner twice by now.

...Tomorrow I'll see how it goes on the subtank mini as an 0.5 ADV.
View attachment 21730 View attachment 21731

ADV Boss! Started fully charged this morning and used 2 full tanks so far on the Subtank Mini with 0.5Ohm OCC@25Watt without any top ups throughout the day and there's only a slight blip off the top of the battery indicator. Let's see how it goes on this spec.

Looking the the iS50/Reo pics, something just occurred to me. The iS50 takes 20 18650-type Lipo cells and a 6ml Reo bottle/tube assembly is basically the same size, if not thinner. So if they can squeezed a pretty good 50W board, with USB, into a 2-cell 18650 device that's thinner and shorter than the Grand, then......I'll leave it at that:D

ADV Boss! Started fully charged this morning and used 2 full tanks so far on the Subtank Mini with 0.5Ohm OCC@25Watt without any top ups throughout the day and there's only a slight blip off the top of the battery indicator. Let's see how it goes on this spec.

Okay, did another 1,5 tanks and a little on the Atlantis again, then at +-11:00 this morning switched to a Delta II with 0,5Ohm coil and ran it between 27-32Watts, with some extended Looper chain-vaping sessions, till the battery finally ran empty at 14:00 today....since being fully charged yesterday morning at 5:00AM. I'm sure I could have squeezed out even more time if I stayed at the 0.5/25Watt.

Looking at quality, size, price(even at SA prices) and solid proven performance, this is going to be a tough one to beat. For those wanting to upgrade to a compact guaranteed all day vaping subohming workhorse, this is it.

Sounds great, thanks for all the feedback @huffnpuff
Can you estimate how many mls of juice you went through on the battery?

Sounds great, thanks for all the feedback @huffnpuff
Can you estimate how many mls of juice you went through on the battery?
Lets see

+- 3,5 Subtank mini (4.5ml tank) = 15.75ml
plus
+-0,3 Delta II (3.5ml tank) = 1 ml
plus
+-0.25 Atlantis (5ml tank) = 1.25 ml

About 18ml-ish, pretty much on par with what I'm consuming on my Reo's(also running +-0.5Ohm buils), Lol. Subohm coils are thirsty buggers.

Last edited:
Lets see

+- 3,5 Subtank mini (4.5ml tank) = 15.75ml
plus
+-0,3 Delta II (3.5ml tank) = 1 ml
plus
+-0.25 Atlantis (5ml tank) = 1.25 ml

About 18ml-ish, pretty much on par with what I'm consuming on my Reo's(also running +-0.5Ohm buils), Lol. Subohm coils are thirsty buggers.

Very good juice out of that battery!
Thanks

Finally, Pbusardo's indepth review with Oscilloscope and torture testing....big Thumbs Up:

You know of course the next Uber-budget device in is the 4400mAh SMOK XPRO M80 Plus with thermo regulation (via nickel no-res wire). Little bit bigger/wider(55mm) than the iStick and Current listings show's the price to be within $5-$9 of the iStick. Size and specs puts in it in a weird "tweener" slot, leaning more towards the bulkier current 100W devices like the Sig100/150.

So the reviews and feedback are starting to come in for the Smok M80, and it seems good for the regular stuff BUT "temp control" is a fail (Smok is being quiet whether it can be fixed via firmware or not, but with their history......I'll leave it at that). So, if you're want something a with a little more oomph for normal kanthal vaping, but a little smaller than the current 100Watt boxes with losing too much power, this looks good, but do not buy this device if the temp control was the hook for you, you WILL be disappointed.

[RANT ON]Without upsetting too many people. IMO, if a product has such a big feature and selling point that is so half-@rsed, what does that tell you about the potential for more "surprises" with the rest of the product?[RANT OFF]

Yeah I am very happy with my istick 50w. Gave it a nice full charge Sunday night and battery is sitting at 50% or there about.

Coming from spinner that had be charged 3 times a day this is incredible. Running a 0.9 ohm build in the rba and kicking at 20 watts.

I will however have to drop my nicotine level from 6 to 3 as the hits I get from the sub tank mini is so good. I can't seem to go lower than 0.8 ohm build then its gets pretty harsh.

Love this device. Would recommend it as a beginner device or if you in the market for an upgrade this is it.

Finally, Pbusardo's indepth review with Oscilloscope and torture testing....big Thumbs Up:

Thanks for posting this @huffnpuff
Yip, looks very good and I agree at that price, one is getting a great device

What i like other than the obvious great battery life is as follows:
- bigger than the istick 20/30W, so should be more comfortable in the hand
- its tuned for RMS settings not average. So comparable settings to most other devices
- appears phil is happy with the flattish signal it produces. Although if i use it on my Evod at lower power i am worried it will be in PwM and i may not like it as much as the mVP i am using now for that.

He didnt mention how long it takes to charge - i may have missed that. But it seems to me when this runs flat its out of service for quite a while. Lol.

Looks like a super device and i am keen to get one. Just need to decide on colour. I suppose black is probably the most classic looking. Anyone out there got any suggestions on the colour and finish?

Charging from total flat is about 3.5-4 hours, but rarely do this because as a person always around a PC, I just top up via USB once in while between vapes, so it's ready to go the distance whenever. Now that I did the o.5Ohm +25Watt duration test, I think I'll try the 1.2 Ohm next week and see how many days I can squeeze out of one charge. Should be amusing.

Charging from total flat is about 3.5-4 hours, but rarely do this because as a person always around a PC, I just top up via USB once in while between vapes, so it's ready to go the distance whenever. Now that I did the o.5Ohm +25Watt duration test, I think I'll try the 1.2 Ohm next week and see how many days I can squeeze out of one charge. Should be amusing.
Ok,

Duration test on the 1.2Ohm OCC in the Subtank on the iS50 done. Flippinhel, it's tough going back to down-to-earth puny-vaping after being so long in the subohm ADV-heaven zone:rolleyes:. Settled on a fixed 15Watts and got going. Every refill was performed when the juice level was just below the ports on the coil, so take the 4.5ml qauntities with a +-pinch of salt. AFC was mostly on max and vaping style was looong straight-to-lung hits ( Subsconcious compensation due to lack of subohmage:D)

1.2Ohm Coil in iStick 50 @15Watts/4.2V(as displayed):
  1. 17:31 to 22:35 01.03.2015 4.5Ml Subtank Mini Colossus/H1N1/VG 4mg
  2. 22:35 01.03.2015 to 11:00 02.06.2015 4.5Ml Subtank Mini Frenilla 6mg
  3. 11:00 to 20:35 02.06.2015 4.5ml Subtank mini H1N1/Colossus/VG 4mg
  4. 20:35 02.05 2015 to 09:40 03.03.2015 4.5ml Subtank Mini Wakonda 6mg...battery about a bar above half at this stage
  5. 09:40 to 13:15 03.03.2015 4.5ml Subtank mini – AV Blend4 till battery reached blinking zero bars at 13:15.

= about 19ml Juice consumed in total

Geek time (ie...finally figured out what the puff timer on the iStick is good for:rofl:):
One thing I found interesting was the lack of expected battery life throughout this test despite the 3.5Amp draw of the 1.2 compared to the 7+ Amps on the 0.5ohm coil, then I realized ...frikkin Joules and how my adjusted vaping style influenced this!

A Joule is a unit of work. In this case the work required for 1 Watt for 1 second: J = Watt x second

On the 0.5Ohm@25-32Watts I was generally vaping at about 1.8-2.2 seconds per hit with longer pauses between hits, averaging 2seconds per hit. So 25Watts x 2Secs = 50 Joules per hit

With the 1.2Ohm I was averaging 2.8-3.8 seconds per hit (averaging at 3.3 seconds). 15Watts x 3.3 seconds = 49.5 Joules per hit!!!! and I was double-clutching with shorter intervals between hits, so basically I was working the mod harder at this level than when I was subohming, in an attempt to attain a similar result( heat/density/flavour). :nerd: Interesting, Neh?

Back