MMA & Boxing thread

Hearing updates on the story on SA radio, which is pretty amazing and shows what impact he has had in very, very few UFC fights. Probably as important to the sport as the first season finale of the Ultimate Fighter where Griffin/Bonnar put MMA on the map.
So apparently (according to 5FM news at 6) he has now said that he reacted too soon, and is not retiring, but has fallen out with UFC bosses (Fertita & Dana White). Dana though said yesterday that UFC were on good terms with CM and his retirement was up to him.
Either way, this will just make his UFC "comeback" that much bigger (or maybe even back at UFC200?)
I think it was important for UFC to, in a way, get him back in line. He isn't the UFC. He isn't a partner or director. They were there before him and they'll be there after him. Fighters, even champions, are replaceable. They did it with Jones, Anderson and now CM. Plus of course a bitter pill to swallow was a loss (for CM) after all the talk.
He'll be back no doubt - and I'm sure we'll all be excited to see that first fight. I honestly think he has the ability to be one of the best fighters of all time.
In other MMA news...
Saw an article saying that Fedor Emilianenko (best Heavyweight ever, arguably best fighter a couple of years ago) stated that the chances of him (finally) fighting in the UFC are now very high. The first person to beat him (after many many fights against the best) was Werdum - the current UFC HW champion. This one could be a Tyson-Holyfield type event if they pull it off. Nobody has ever fought for a belt in their first fight as far as I know - Anderson got it on fight #2 -, but with those credentials I'd say it's warranted. Plus, if he fought someone else and lost, it would make a Werdum fight an anti-climax. Just my 2c though on all that.

Seems like Mcgregor doesnt own his own life and had a fallout with the politics in UFC.

UFC star Conor McGregor is not retired. He just wants to focus on what he feels is his real job -- fighting.

McGregor, 27, released a statement on social media Thursday stating he was not retired, despite a post earlier in the week that said he was stepping away from the sport. On Tuesday, UFC pulled McGregor from a scheduled rematch against Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9, saying McGregor had refused to fly to Las Vegas to participate in promotional obligations.

In a highly anticipated announcement, McGregor (19-3) explained that refusal.

"I am just trying to do my job and fight here," McGregor wrote on Facebook. "I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote. I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.

"There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop."

I picked up from his post fight interview that he didnt manage his stamina properly, maybe a training issue that he wants to correct but is being hampered by promotions.
Personally I think he came out aggressively due to his arrogance of believing he wouldnt need to last more than one round, thus the energy wasteage.
He does speak himself up rather highly, takes longer for the ego to heal than the body. :)

Seems like Mcgregor doesnt own his own life and had a fallout with the politics in UFC.

I picked up from his post fight interview that he didnt manage his stamina properly, maybe a training issue that he wants to correct but is being hampered by promotions.
Personally I think he came out aggressively due to his arrogance of believing he wouldnt need to last more than one round, thus the energy wasteage.
He does speak himself up rather highly, takes longer for the ego to heal than the body. :)
So happy to read that Mcgregor is going back to concentrate on fighting. I watched a MMA show on YT and they were saying they pushing from a Mcgregor and Diaz rematch. Diaz isn't pleased as he feels like the MMA just wants to make Mcgregor champion. Even moving the weight class around to suit Mcgregor.
I'm glad if he's standing against it. Shows he's not falling for the hype promotional aspect of MMA - the MMA benefited from the friction and turmoil surrounding their fight build up.
I hope Mcgregor comes back swinging he's 1 of the best fighters as well as entertainers in the sport today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah that would be some event. And both of them love money enough for it to actually happen!

My :2c:, Conor would quickly dismantle Floyd in a street fight, and in an MMA cage as well.
But in a ring, Floyd's boxing skills are far superior and Conor really stands no chance. He hits harder, but Floyd doesn't get hit (even by Pacquiao). Conor's movement and Floyds "strategic sensibility" might mean a decision rather than knock-out. But if Conor won a single round on the cards I'd be surprised.
As both a boxing and MMA fan, I'd also love to see Pacquiao/Mcgregor in a boxing ring!

Yeah that would be some event. And both of them love money enough for it to actually happen!

My :2c:, Conor would quickly dismantle Floyd in a street fight, and in an MMA cage as well.
But in a ring, Floyd's boxing skills are far superior and Conor really stands no chance. He hits harder, but Floyd doesn't get hit (even by Pacquiao). Conor's movement and Floyds "strategic sensibility" might mean a decision rather than knock-out. But if Conor won a single round on the cards I'd be surprised.
As both a boxing and MMA fan, I'd also love to see Pacquiao/Mcgregor in a boxing ring!
Have to agree with you,especially about the money.
I don't see the 'money' getting in a cage and CM can forget about trying to beat him in a ring.
May turn into some sort of exhibition bout.
Let's hope they get something on!

Conor won't last 12 rounds with money and I think money will drop him at round 6

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Im thinking Conor might use the feet or a ground attack, wonder what the rules will be?
It would be a standard boxing match (Marquess of Queensberry rules, slightly adjusted). Definitely giving Floyd a huge advantage.

Looks like Overeem will be the next in line for a Heavyweight title shot, facing the winner of Werdum/Miocic. Was sad seeing Arlovski lose - really thought he could beat all odds and find himself in a title shot again. Who do you peeps see winning the Werdum fight?

This weekend is a massive fight card in Brazil. Werdum, Anderson Silva, Jacare Souza, Vitor Belfort, Shogun Rua, Noguera, the UFC debut of Cris Cyborg :eek:, Demian Maia... all on the same card. Should be a good one!

Who do you peeps see winning the Werdum fight?
Werdum, he beat both Emelianenko brothers, more experiened.
Werdum seems to have far more credentials than Miocic's "boxing & wrestling".
I think a Miocic win would be considered an upset...my money would be on Werdum.

Have just seen and read that Anderson Silva / Uriah Hall is not happening. Silva had to have surgery (gallbladder removal)

Werdum, he beat both Emelianenko brothers, more experiened.
Werdum seems to have far more credentials than Miocic's "boxing & wrestling".
I think a Miocic win would be considered an upset...my money would be on Werdum.
:) I still think Henderson & Werdum both got a little lucky against Fedor! but it seems chances are good of him finally joining the UFC... there are some awesome match-ups in HW if it happens.
I also think Werdum has a good chance against Miocic - few more tools and lots of experience.

So much for me thinking Werdum with his many tools would take the fight.

This quote pretty much sums up their clash at UFC198
Miocic folded "Vai Cavalo" in the first round because the Brazilian decided a solid gameplan included running forward with his chin up and his arms flailing. The challenger passively backpedaled and uncorked a stinging right hand, one that sent the now ex-champ into la-la land.

So I just got through watching UFC 198 and after watching Werdum drop like that I must say I'm seriously disappointed. 5 championship rounds scheduled and the fight barely went 3 minutes.
Werdum looked weak, I mean you come iat Miocic swinging your arms like an Orangutan and he took you down with a short right. Weak!

On the up side UFC 200 looks to be a winner. Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar and Cormier vs Jones and Tate vs Nunes. Looking forward to the Cormier/Jones fight - this beef has gone on long enough and NEEDS to be settled!

Holloway and Lamas last 10 second standoff and trade was the highlight of UFC 199 for me. Anyone else catch the fights?

Holloway and Lamas last 10 second standoff and trade was the highlight of UFC 199 for me. Anyone else catch the fights?
Indeed! But not the undercard yet (I heard there was another cracker).
The last 10 seconds of that fight was absolutely awesome. Re-watched it a couple of times.

Indeed! But not the undercard yet (I heard there was another cracker).
The last 10 seconds of that fight was absolutely awesome. Re-watched it a couple of times.

I must have watched those last 10 seconds about 10 times now too. Really uncommon to see that anymore, I have only seen that type of stand and brawl at some early EFC matches. Okes are literally just swinging and hoping to land one.
The title fight with Rockhold vs Bisping was also good, Bisping knocked himon his backside. I really thought Rockhold would win but expected a tough fight because Bisping can take a hit.
Did you see that guys face after the Anderson match? Damn he took a beating and still won!

In my view, Anderson beat him twice in the same fight! And it showed in his face :) I scored only the first 2 rounds to Bisping and the next 3 to Silva.
But he left no doubt against Rockhold. I'm happy for him because he's been trying for so long. But I don't think he has enough to defend the title for long. Rockhold should have learned not to be over-confident after Belfort knocked him out. Now his chin is questionable too. Whoever holds the belt, if Silva wins his next fight be it against Hall or anyone else, they will give him one last shot at getting his belt back before retirement. And after watching the Bisping fight, he could well do it.
Hendo vs Lombard was also very entertaining and surprising. Lots of action!
And what do you think of Brock Lesnar returning to MMA? Against Mark Hunt at UFC200

In my view, Anderson beat him twice in the same fight! And it showed in his face :) I scored only the first 2 rounds to Bisping and the next 3 to Silva.
But he left no doubt against Rockhold. I'm happy for him because he's been trying for so long. But I don't think he has enough to defend the title for long. Rockhold should have learned not to be over-confident after Belfort knocked him out. Now his chin is questionable too. Whoever holds the belt, if Silva wins his next fight be it against Hall or anyone else, they will give him one last shot at getting his belt back before retirement. And after watching the Bisping fight, he could well do it.
Hendo vs Lombard was also very entertaining and surprising. Lots of action!
And what do you think of Brock Lesnar returning to MMA? Against Mark Hunt at UFC200

I didn't want to say it but I also felt Anderson won that fight. Anderson hardly looked like he was even in a fight, Bisping looked like he was hit by a train.
I think Anderson does himself no favour with his show boating, he's a very unorthadox fighter and I love watching him. He has crazy power for his thin frame. I just wish he'd get more busy in the ring, I think this is why he loses fights. He might come out of the fight looking better but the other fighter wins simply on points. Because they worked more and landed more, even if they insignificant, they win the rounds on points.
Rockhold was too cocksure, he was chirping Bisping before they started the match. Bisping has got some serious heart and while I agree he won't last much longer in the ring because of his age, I'm hoping he gets to defend his title at least once. I don't believe your a true champion till you have defended your title.
I really thought Henderson was done for sure, there were moments in the 1st round where I thought thats it Lombard is going to finish him off. but man that guy is tough, he came back into the 2nd round and won it. I think Lombard was burnt out after that 1st round. He was hardly moving from the start of the 2nd round. Lombard has power but what the hell is he doing in MMA when every fight I watched him in he can't go the distance. But what a good fight nonetheless.
Can't wait for next month when UFC 200 rolls around and we get to see Jones vs Cormier, Aldo vs Edgar and Nunes vs Tate - we getting spoilt with 3 title fights in one event! Not too excited by the undercard line up but you never know. The undercard fights really produced in UFC 199.

I'm kind of 2 minded about the return of Brock, I wasn't into MMA as much when he was fighting but I have watched some of his UFC fights on TV and YT. He's been away for a long time, lets see how much ring rust hes sitting with. I just get the feeling this is more about publicity than anything else. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Brock is back. I like the way Brock handles his ground game. For guy of his size he's fast on the ground, you never want to have Brock ontop of you in side mount...

What did you think of the Urijah vs Cruz match? I was highly disappointed, all that smack talk and all it took was a few good shots to put Urijah on his back and he was defending the rest of the 5 rounds. What a let down :'(

Jon Jones is out of Saturday's UFC 200 main event. Tested positive for a PED. He claims he knows nothing about anything illegal - but a banned substance was found in one of his "supplements". Heard it all before, right? He also faces a possible 2 year ban.
What a huge let-down for MMA fans and the event as a whole. I'm not sure which fight will replace the main event, but would be surprised if they make Lesnar face 5 rounds, so I'm guessing it'll be Aldo vs Edgar. Seems far too late to find another opponent for Cormier. I haven't really dived into the story online, just sharing news I just heard. Anyway, time to watch France vs Germany

I didn't want to say it but I also felt Anderson won that fight. Anderson hardly looked like he was even in a fight, Bisping looked like he was hit by a train.
I think Anderson does himself no favour with his show boating, he's a very unorthadox fighter and I love watching him. He has crazy power for his thin frame. I just wish he'd get more busy in the ring, I think this is why he loses fights. He might come out of the fight looking better but the other fighter wins simply on points. Because they worked more and landed more, even if they insignificant, they win the rounds on points.
Rockhold was too cocksure, he was chirping Bisping before they started the match. Bisping has got some serious heart and while I agree he won't last much longer in the ring because of his age, I'm hoping he gets to defend his title at least once. I don't believe your a true champion till you have defended your title.
I really thought Henderson was done for sure, there were moments in the 1st round where I thought thats it Lombard is going to finish him off. but man that guy is tough, he came back into the 2nd round and won it. I think Lombard was burnt out after that 1st round. He was hardly moving from the start of the 2nd round. Lombard has power but what the hell is he doing in MMA when every fight I watched him in he can't go the distance. But what a good fight nonetheless.
Can't wait for next month when UFC 200 rolls around and we get to see Jones vs Cormier, Aldo vs Edgar and Nunes vs Tate - we getting spoilt with 3 title fights in one event! Not too excited by the undercard line up but you never know. The undercard fights really produced in UFC 199.

I'm kind of 2 minded about the return of Brock, I wasn't into MMA as much when he was fighting but I have watched some of his UFC fights on TV and YT. He's been away for a long time, lets see how much ring rust hes sitting with. I just get the feeling this is more about publicity than anything else. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Brock is back. I like the way Brock handles his ground game. For guy of his size he's fast on the ground, you never want to have Brock ontop of you in side mount...

What did you think of the Urijah vs Cruz match? I was highly disappointed, all that smack talk and all it took was a few good shots to put Urijah on his back and he was defending the rest of the 5 rounds. What a let down :'(
Yep, I agree with all of your points. As far as Anderson, I think he can still get the belt and end on a high. The showboating, in my view, is to compensate a little. He's not young and the speed and chin isn't quite there anymore. In a way though, it's also what makes his fights so much fun. It's only ever really failed him once - the first Weidman fight. The second was an injury, and all he did wrong with Bisping was get off to a slow start, but still really should have one that fight. A re-match, for the title, will be just what the doctor ordered :)
The Cruz fight was very disappointing. But the Henderson fight was a treat. Lombard would be deadly but only fights for a round it seems - very entertaining fight though. Lot's of fights coming up, even without Jones - 3 events in 3 nights!

Jon Jones is out of Saturday's UFC 200 main event. Tested positive for a PED. He claims he knows nothing about anything illegal - but a banned substance was found in one of his "supplements". Heard it all before, right? He also faces a possible 2 year ban.
What a huge let-down for MMA fans and the event as a whole. I'm not sure which fight will replace the main event, but would be surprised if they make Lesnar face 5 rounds, so I'm guessing it'll be Aldo vs Edgar. Seems far too late to find another opponent for Cormier. I haven't really dived into the story online, just sharing news I just heard. Anyway, time to watch France vs Germany

Main that blows! Jon Jones had his title stripped for testing positive, now again, come on! Ha ha looks like Jon Jones needed an extra boost to win
I can't see Brock going past 4 rounds, if he doesn't ground and pound his opponent within 3 rounds there's a very high chance he will lose. Brocks been his bully self but let's see if his game is as big as his mouth. 2 and a half years out of MMA is like a life time...

Laters, my teams behind

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back