MMA & Boxing thread

I'm primarily a boxing man but I like the way CM fights so with the big UK boxing bill tonight its a good weekend of sports for me.
Gotta love a weekend of fights... it's the small things!
@Genosmate - I too love the sweet science and have for as long as I can remember, and it was what got me watching mma tbh.
If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend watching The Ultimater Fighter Season 1, similar to "The Contender". Super easy watching and very entertaining (even for people who aren't interested in fighting of any kind like my better half). I reckon any fan of any martial art or contact sport could get sucked into mma. For boxing fans, it really makes those fight-filled championship weekends more plentiful!

Awesome to see this thread doing so well! Bless CM!
I've been quiet because I got a real curve ball at work and my time hasn't been my own. So much so, that I couldn't watch the biggest fight ever until almost 4 days later. This presented an interesting challenge because I could not do anything online that might reveal the result, even work-related online activity was monitored. And everyone around me for that matter. No social media, no Ecigssa notification checking... I finally watched all the fights, and of course the big one. Wow. Here's my usual 2c :)
Rockhold was amazing - can't wait to see him fight Romero, and Jacare too (felt sorry for Jacare - imo, he'd long won a shot at the belt and now has to go a few steps backwards).
Conor vs Aldo - I was so split and had it at a boring 50/50. Just didn't know - Aldo's leg kick is not normal. CM has never faced a striker as good as Aldo, or even close. Conor's movement is his biggest asset imo - what would happen if Aldo landed the kicks and eliminated that. Aldo is fast. Has equal or greater one hit knockout power. He has better BJJ. On paper he is better - at least in things that can be quantified and named. But confidence like Conor is rare and powerful - and he's on a wave that few fighters have ever seen - an aura develops and opponents are beaten before they fight. We saw it with Anderson Silva, with Mike Tyson, with Fedor Emilianenko. Plus, did I mention, he's amazingly bloody spectacularly good at fighting. If I were forced to bet my house, I'd have probably gone with CM, but based on gut alone. He really is a special talent. The odds had it for Aldo though, I had heard - to me that reflected an educated MMA audience.
But here's my issue - we still don't have the answer to any of those questions. CM has still never fought Aldo. He got into his head, Aldo was too emotional and wanting to kill him in the first minute, rushed in, and Conor landed a clean left, then hammer fist ko to seal the deal. He or it was not magical or uncommon. Anyone can get caught whether at 14s or at 24 mins 55 seconds into the fight.
What I'm saying - I had it fractionally for CM against the best on the planet - so I do believe he thoroughly deserves to and has what it takes to be there as undisputed champion, but the rematch with Aldo needs to happen, and soon. MMA fans need to see these two rare & special fighters actually fight while they are both in their prime. My overriding feeling after the fight was disappointment and a feeling of being robbed.

Awesome to see this thread doing so well! Bless CM!
I've been quiet because I got a real curve ball at work and my time hasn't been my own. So much so, that I couldn't watch the biggest fight ever until almost 4 days later. This presented an interesting challenge because I could not do anything online that might reveal the result, even work-related online activity was monitored. And everyone around me for that matter. No social media, no Ecigssa notification checking... I finally watched all the fights, and of course the big one. Wow. Here's my usual 2c :)
Rockhold was amazing - can't wait to see him fight Romero, and Jacare too (felt sorry for Jacare - imo, he'd long won a shot at the belt and now has to go a few steps backwards).
Conor vs Aldo - I was so split and had it at a boring 50/50. Just didn't know - Aldo's leg kick is not normal. CM has never faced a striker as good as Aldo, or even close. Conor's movement is his biggest asset imo - what would happen if Aldo landed the kicks and eliminated that. Aldo is fast. Has equal or greater one hit knockout power. He has better BJJ. On paper he is better - at least in things that can be quantified and named. But confidence like Conor is rare and powerful - and he's on a wave that few fighters have ever seen - an aura develops and opponents are beaten before they fight. We saw it with Anderson Silva, with Mike Tyson, with Fedor Emilianenko. Plus, did I mention, he's amazingly bloody spectacularly good at fighting. If I were forced to bet my house, I'd have probably gone with CM, but based on gut alone. He really is a special talent. The odds had it for Aldo though, I had heard - to me that reflected an educated MMA audience.
But here's my issue - we still don't have the answer to any of those questions. CM has still never fought Aldo. He got into his head, Aldo was too emotional and wanting to kill him in the first minute, rushed in, and Conor landed a clean left, then hammer fist ko to seal the deal. He or it was not magical or uncommon. Anyone can get caught whether at 14s or at 24 mins 55 seconds into the fight.
What I'm saying - I had it fractionally for CM against the best on the planet - so I do believe he thoroughly deserves to and has what it takes to be there as undisputed champion, but the rematch with Aldo needs to happen, and soon. MMA fans need to see these two rare & special fighters actually fight while they are both in their prime. My overriding feeling after the fight was disappointment and a feeling of being robbed.

Liked reading your thoughts on the past UFC 194. If I read into the latest comments made by Dana White, it seems that Frankie Edgar will get first shot before a Aldo / McGregor rematch, and that might happen as soon as April 2016.

Regarding Aldo vs McGregor; for me personally its like all individual sports; the contestants at that level are mostly physically equal, what sets them apart on a given day, is their individual mental state when he/she set foot in the octagon.

Liked reading your thoughts on the past UFC 194. If I read into the latest comments made by Dana White, it seems that Frankie Edgar will get first shot before a Aldo / McGregor rematch, and that might happen as soon as April 2016.

Regarding Aldo vs McGregor; for me personally its like all individual sports; the contestants at that level are mostly physically equal, what sets them apart on a given day, is their individual mental state when he/she set foot in the octagon.
Yeah Franky looks to be up next, and he deserves it especially after a great ko of Mendes. Mendes vs CM 2 would also be entertaining. The fun and games though will really begin if CM beats all of those guys and moves up to 155... quite a few great fights in his future no doubt!

McGregor will fight Dos Anjos for the lightweight belt!
So its going to be Rafael dos Anjos... I believe that Conor has what it takes to even take the next weight division. As he said in the press conferences no one has a answer to his left hand. If you watch his series Notorious you will see just how much effort and passion this guys has. I would rate him Higher than Da Silva.

So its going to be Rafael dos Anjos... I believe that Conor has what it takes to even take the next weight division. As he said in the press conferences no one has a answer to his left hand. If you watch his series Notorious you will see just how much effort and passion this guys has. I would rate him Higher than Da Silva.

I agree 100% with you Coppertop, not because I'm biased towards McGregor, but because of his mental attitude.

9 Feb 2016; Conor McGregor: " ... after I destroy Dos Anjos, following will be a rematch with Aldo":

PS. This is the mental attitude of any WINNER in any sport!

Patiently waiting for SA's Gareth Soldierboy Mclellans next UFC fight. Training with Firas Zahabi can only lead to good things :)

safe_image.php.jpeg

So, what is your thoughts on the McGregor - Diaz fight? And Holm and Tate?
I reckon Holm will win, but Tate's toughness and grit should make for an entertaining fight. My 2c is that Holm wins the decision off her technical striking, boxing & better movement.
McGregor-Diaz. When Conor is involved it's always exciting. When a Diaz brother is involved is always exciting. Should be a cracker. Interested to see Conor against a striker with big reach advantage. At 145 that's often been him. And a BJJ blackbelt (anyone is at risk and he already knows all about losing from a submission). Diaz looked the best he's ever looked in his last fight which he was not supposed to win (Michael Johnson fight). Conor's Conor. I can't wait for this one. I'd not bet my house on either. Diaz is maybe the one person who won't be beaten before the fight. He's too arrogant to care. I'd have to bet on McGregor in the end. But it would be good to see how he handles if things get ugly and into deep waters. He predicted a first round knockout. That's also possible.

Wow! Love this sport.
Tate, who was a couple of minutes away from losing a decision, chokes Holm out and becomes the new BW champion. She didn't tap, so eventually just went to sleep after coming close to losing in the second round to a similar rear naked choke.
And then Nate Diaz convincingly beats McGregor. First round, maybe to McGregor 10-9, but nothing of real significance happening. Conor started the round well showing a little more aggression, but great boxing and well-timed clean shots from mid-way through the second round hurt McGregor who, then went for a takedown, with Diaz quickly finishing it with another submission.

Did anyone watch the bloodbath between Boyd Allen and Leon Meynard on Saturday night?

Ufc 196 was nothing short of amazing anyone watch it already ???

I missed them all due to Zero connection in Turkey :rolleyes:. Glad I missed the McGregor fiasco - I really thought he would make mince out of Nate Diaz.

Not sure if vaping and MMA go hand in hand but did anybody else here catch the UFC 196 broadcast?

Not sure if vaping and MMA go hand in hand but did anybody else here catch the UFC 196 broadcast?

Hi @Greyz - i have moved your post to this existing thread.
Thanks for the headsup @Andre

After UFC196's upsets, I watched the biggest fighting upsets (or comebacks) I could think of, one after the next :) If you haven't seen any of these fights, they are worth the watch. Lemme know if I forgot any crackers

Fedor vs Werdum (Strikeforce 34)
Serra vs GSP (UFC 69)
Silva vs Weidman (UFC 162)
Holm vs Rousey (UFC 193)
Penn vs Hughes (UFC 46)
Penn vs Edgar (UFC 112)
Griffin vs Shogun (UFC 76)
Henderson vs Fedor (Strikeforce 52)
Pettis vs Dos Anjos (UFC 185)
Silva vs Sonnen 1 (UFC 117)
Lawler vs Manhoef (Strikeforce 43)
Liddell vs Jardine (UFC 76)
Holm vs Tate (UFC 196)
McGregor vs Diaz (UFC 196)
Tyson vs Douglas

My short memory span can't keep up with yours @KB_314 :eek: - I could recall less than half you mentioned.

"UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday that UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been pulled from his UFC 200 main event against Nate Diaz on July 9.

White revealed that the decision was made by the promotion after McGregor informed UFC officials that he would not participate in any promotional activities, including a commercial shoot and press conferences."

McGregor then tweeted: "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

Thoughts?

"UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday that UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been pulled from his UFC 200 main event against Nate Diaz on July 9.

White revealed that the decision was made by the promotion after McGregor informed UFC officials that he would not participate in any promotional activities, including a commercial shoot and press conferences."

McGregor then tweeted: "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

Thoughts?
Its tough to come back from a hard swallow of humble pie. :)

Its tough to come back from a hard swallow of humble pie. :)
It's even worse when you retire young because your mouth was bigger than your game.

I really like Mcgregor I believed he was one of the toughest MMA fighters out there. I think he might just be pulling a publicity stunt. No ways he's chicken shit to fight again because Nate won. If he is then I lost all admiration!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I agree with @Greyz, he is too much of a limelight junkie - publicity stunt and maybe a strategic move from his camp, he will come back with a bang.

Back