MMA & Boxing thread

They are going to make a killing:

"There are some on sale on the site right now for $19,000—per ticket. But there are no tickets. Buyers are bidding on “spec tickets” sold by people who don’t have them yet, but think they’ll get them. With two weeks to go before the fight, the venue still hasn’t put any actual tickets up for sale." (source: z.com/386604/tickets-to-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-dont-even-exist-but-theyre-selling-for-19000-each/)
I read up to $250k for ringside:eek:

So...
  • At 185 - Rockhold destroys Machida. :(. Jacare (naturally) wins his fight with a deadly submission. Weidman finally set to meet Belfort - although I don't understand why. Belfort was on a crazy winning streak, but hasn't fought since 2013 - dubious as far as "ring rust". Who do you guys think should be fighting for the belt? Oh, and Anderson temporarily suspended for probable P.E.D use!
  • At Heavyweight - Miocic dominates Hunt after a convincing win over Dos Santos. Surely he's next in line for a shot. Against Werdum? or will Werdum meet (the man who imo is the champion) Cain Velasquez first?
  • At 145 - excited to see Aldo vs McGregor - who do you think will win?
  • At 205 - Jon Jones booted from the UFC. Deserves it if you ask me. So Rumble Johnson will now face Cormier for the vacant belt. Thoughts?
  • And finally, the big news (although not MMA)... what did you guys think of the Mayweather Pacquiao fight?

I think Vitor Belfort is getting a bit old as well and Chris Weidman might just topple him for the middleweight title on the 23'rd, although I hope Belfort triumph on the day.
It would definitely not be an easy one for Fabrico Werdum when takes on Cain Valesques on the 13'th of June, my money would be on Valesques though.
My choice, Conor McGregor, he is unstoppable at the moment, but he is going to work for the title, as Jose Aldo is definitely not a walkover (PS: maybe Jenna Jameson obsession with McGregor will just further up his testosterone levels for the fight ;)).
Johnson vs Cormier is going to be the fight of night for me, and If I have to choose, it will be Cormier.
For me personally the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight was very even, and I was actually disappointed with both boxer's performance.

Any of you guys watch our local boys (EFC 39) last week ?

I think Vitor Belfort is getting a bit old as well and Chris Weidman might just topple him for the middleweight title on the 23'rd, although I hope Belfort triumph on the day.
It would definitely not be an easy one for Fabrico Werdum when takes on Cain Valesques on the 13'th of June, my money would be on Valesques though.
My choice, Conor McGregor, he is unstoppable at the moment, but he is going to work for the title, as Jose Aldo is definitely not a walkover (PS: maybe Jenna Jameson obsession with McGregor will just further up his testosterone levels for the fight ;)).
Johnson vs Cormier is going to be the fight of night for me, and If I have to choose, it will be Cormier.
For me personally the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight was very even, and I was actually disappointed with both boxer's performance.
Yes, also think Weidman and Velasquez will both retain their belts in their next fights. But don't reckon Weidman will have the belt in a year. I like Jacare at 185 and Rockhold also will be difficult to beat.
The freight train that is Connor - Aldo might well stop him. Not sure who the betting favourite is, but I have that one for Aldo. Admittedly I'm a fan of McGregor and love his fights so won't be disappointed if he takes it either. And haven't followed the Jenna Jameson side of things but will have a quick Google and get up to speed ;)
Johnson Cormier is exciting. Johnson anyone is exciting. But if I had to put my house on it, I'd also go with Cormier. The 205 belt might change hands quite a bit though in the absence of Jones. Maybe even Mcgeary from Bellator?
And boxing-wise, I didn't enjoy the fight as I'd hoped. Mayweather fought as expected in my book anyway. Pacquiao was disappointing. I was STRONGLY routing for Manny. But I didn't see it so even - I had it for Mayweather by quite a margin.

Some interesting fights coming up in MMA and I think Michael Page will be fighting soon - man I'd love to see that guy in UFC at 170!

Any of you guys watch our local boys (EFC 39) last week ?
I didn't @BigK but I do enjoy EFC. Only just started watching it though so I still don't know who to watch out for but will def be getting tickets next time it's in CT

UFC 187 results:
Cormier def Johnson for the LHW belt
Weidman def Belfort and retains MW belt
Arolovski def Browne (one of the best HW rounds to my memory)
Cerrone def Makdessi
Benavidez def Moraga

Weidman silenced the crowd. Anthony Johnson should have been more patient but good on Cormier now we get to see him lose to Jones again if he ever gets his ducks in a row

Dan Henderson got the TKO win over Tim Boetsch in 28 seconds. Gotta love Hendo - turning 45 and still at the highest level of competition.

@KB_314 I won't be a bit surprised if he does beat Jose Aldo beginning July 2015.

His last interview:

Last edited:
So we will not get to see McGregor vs Aldo after all. Huge pity, but not surprising unfortunately. The only bigger fight would be a unification fight on Aldo's return, if McGregor wins the interim belt of course. If Mendes wins... wow, that could be a spanner in the works! Although I don't think anyones really interested in seeing him face Aldo for a third time.

What do you guys think will happen? And in the Lawler MacDonald fight? That one imo has become the more exciting match up.

@johan - where will you watch the fight? What's the vibe in Ireland in anticipation of their first UFC world champion? I imagine there's an energy in the air - if you are watching it socially and in public space, would love to see some pics after the event

So we will not get to see McGregor vs Aldo after all. Huge pity, but not surprising unfortunately. The only bigger fight would be a unification fight on Aldo's return, if McGregor wins the interim belt of course. If Mendes wins... wow, that could be a spanner in the works! Although I don't think anyones really interested in seeing him face Aldo for a third time.

What do you guys think will happen? And in the Lawler MacDonald fight? That one imo has become the more exciting match up.

@johan - where will you watch the fight? What's the vibe in Ireland in anticipation of their first UFC world champion? I imagine there's an energy in the air - if you are watching it socially and in public space, would love to see some pics after the event

This was posted early this morning on one of the Irish forums (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056059510&page=503):

Dana White reiterated today that Aldo's rib was not broken and he was cleared by 3 non UFC doctors and that Aldo refused to fly to Vegas to even watch the fight where he could be checked out my a UFC doctor.

The X-ray he was posting was showing an old injury not a fresh fracture.

The real concern was making weight if he cant train properly, which is somewhat fair enough but each incident from the drug test issue, dropping out of 5 fights to posting misleading X-rays has Aldo's looking more and more sketchy and the less sympathy people should feel for him that an interim belt fight was forced.

Locally, the majority is behind Conor McGregor obviously, but also a quite substantial support for Chad Mendes. Regarding Lawler & MacDonald; Both fighters are willing to play each other's game. MacDonald loves to engage in technical kickboxing bouts and control where the fight takes place. Lawler is willing to participate in a kickboxing match as long as it means he gets to throw a few bombs here and there. As Reed Kuhn of Fightnomics highlights, MacDonald looks to control fights, whereas Lawler is a little more comfortable allowing his opponents to dictate where the fight takes place. IMO it can go either way.

My local Pub, Tipler's, confirmed that they have a subscription to ufc.tv and will have it on the big screen. I hope I will be able to take photos afters ;).

Here's a pic of my favourite barmaid at Tipler's with owner, and she already knows my poison :cool: (no permission required to stand on the bar and take a photo):

JD2.jpg

Thanks for sharing that link - sounds very dubious. As soon as there was talk of the possibility of Aldo not fighting, I think we all kind of knew he wouldn't make it.

Awesome pic - I've never been to Ireland but in my minds eye, that pic is exactly what I envision :)

Fights will start 04H50 local time - loooong night at the pub - and afters, starting of the Battle of the Boyne festivities over here (12 July).

LawlerVsMacDonald.png

MendesVsMcGregor.png

Wow what 2 incredible fights! Now lets try and remember from early morning and 2 hours sleep:

Welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Rory MacDonald went to absolute war. It started off slow, with both fighters coming out cautious, looking to pick spots. But then all hell broke loose.

Lawler began to heat up in the second round, finding his rhythm and MacDonald's face with a stiff jab. Eventually the Canadian's nose began to bleed due to a clean broken nose, the beginning of the end for the top-ranked 170-pound contender. But, not before MacDonald nearly finished Lawler in the third round thanks to a thundering head kick that was partially blocked. Lawler was hurt, though, and MacDonald pounced. In fact, Lawler was in so much trouble along the cage that the referee had to keep check to ensure he was able to continue. Though he continued to get torched, Lawler somehow continued to remain upright and fire back. MacDonald must have been completely flustered - he pretty much hit Lawler with everything he could but it wasn't enough.

Lawler dug deep, down three rounds to one on the judges scorecards, and came out for the fifth and final round willing to leave it all inside the Octagon. But, all he left was MacDonald in a pool of blood, as a straight hard shot to his already-broken nose literally crumbled him to the canvas. It was an incredible back-and-forth fight that will likely go down as one of the very best.

What a morning to remember for Conor McGregor and the majority of Ireland. The fiery Irishman, literally, talked himself into being a superstar, the future of the Featherweight division and, possibly, the sport. And when the cage door closed, McGregor not only proved that he could take a good punch - Mendes drilled him numerous times, but that he could also overcome adversity.

Indeed, Mendes dragged McGregor down to the mat several times when it was clear that he was over matched in the striking department. "Money" bloodied and beat McGregor - even went for a his bread-and-butter submission, but it was not enough to stop a man seemingly possessed. McGregor escaped the aforementioned submission, and even though Mendes was grinding on him for nearly a full round, popped up like toast and torched his opponent along the cage. One more good kick, and then an overhand left, was too much for Mendes, who after 10 minutes seemingly had nothing left in the tank.

With just three seconds remaining in round two, McGregor scored the decisive victory of a lifetime, with all the pressure of Ireland on his shoulders. He is clearly a one-of-a-kind superstar in the making - if he isn't one already.

Sorry @KB_314 - no photos, I hand too much Oros to stay awake for the fights.

What an event! Incredible fights, great finishes - all in all, one to remember. The Irish fans took over, and a stadium event in Ireland against Aldo would probably make MMA history in many regards!

@johan - your evening must have been insane and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your fight synopsis of the two main events. Lawler didn't disappoint - that's one tough, old-school fighter who never has a boring fight.

And now it's time for a very different type of excitement, the Wimbledon men's final with an appropriate strawberries and cream vape :)
Happy Sunday everyone!

A great read, thank you @johan. You should become a commentator for that sport! I shall watch out for the repeat.

Well, last night Rowdy Rhonda Rousey, my Reo's namesake, knocked out Bethe Correia in a satisfying 34 seconds to remain the undefeated champion. Correia definitely had it coming. A stellar performance from the most dominant fighter in the world.

Shogun Rua defeated Little Nog in a unanimous decision - a rematch of a good fight in Pride, years ago, which Shogun won. It was a close fight - personally I was surprised with the decision though. Not the best fight either way. Pity we didn't get to see Anderson Silva face Shogun instead.

Big Nog also suffered a unanimous decision defeat at the hands of 7 foot Stefan Struve. Also not a particularly memorable fight.

Well boys and girls (although I suspect it's just me and johan left o_O) alot's happened in MMA since the last post.

Machida has lost to Romero. Man he's good. But being a Machida fan, I wasn't thrilled with the result. Not sure what's next for Lyoto - so good, and for so long undefeated, but he's seen a couple of bad consecutive losses and in the UFC, whether good or bad, that means he's on the cutting block. What else, Bisping beat Leites and reckons he's gonna take the belt soon - happy for the old-timer but also not so sure about the belt! Max Holloway had a surprising victory over the very talented Oliveira and can't be far from a title shot. McGregor would destroy him though (again). Oh, new season of The Ultimate Fighter is a few episodes in. McGregor coaching against Faber - very entertaining, very funny imo and worth watching if anything for the coaches. Johnson has defended his title again, against Dodson, again. This time was even more convincing. Joe Rogan reckons he's the best p4p fighter period. I'm not entirely convinced. The division isn't exactly packed, and to me his big test was against Cruz, where he wasn't able to win a round. But he's improved - just nobody left to fight other than heavier fighters. And finally Cormier is still the champion. Really hard being a Gustafsson fan - another great 5 round fight. This time a split decision. Unfortunately, this time the judges got it right. Cormier is pure hard work and technique. He's beaten more gifted and physically blessed fighters than himself and it was true for this fight too.

In Bellator, Phil Davis won the LH tournament event with a packed card. 2 fights in one night - interestingly Francis Carmont stepped in as King Mo pulled out from an injury in the final. It was also Carmont's second fight of the night! Old school. Entertaining fight especially considering that Phil is the most boring fighter in the galaxy. He beat Carlos Newton earlier in the evening. Tito Ortiz lost (obviously) to Liam Mcgeary - man he needs to join the UFC - amazing fighter and worth you tubing if you haven't seen him fight. Currently the Bellator LHW champion. Josh Thomson won his first Bellator fight on that card as well, and Melvin Guillard lost in his Bellator debut.

And lastly, the big news... Fedor Emilianenko is going to fight again. Unfortunately not in the UFC, but he'll be the main card on Bellator, and I think on New Years Eve.

And here is a new 20 min dockie about Michael Page - still think the most exciting prospect in MMA, certainly outside of the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/10/go-beh...ael-venom-page-in-our-new-mvp-247-documentary

I missed quite a few of them. Thanks for keeping us updated @KB_314. I must commend you in the compact, yet informative way you summed up the current status of this exhilarating sport, well done.

I missed quite a few of them. Thanks for keeping us updated @KB_314. I must commend you in the compact, yet informative way you summed up the current status of this exhilarating sport, well done.
Appreciate that Johan. I must say, it's one of my 3 passions - architecture by day, mma by night, and vaping... all day and all night! So these posts don't take effort at all - just nice to meet someone else who loves it as much as I do! My posts just give the bottom lines though - I prefer your blow-by-blow synopses of the big fights :)

Back