Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that looks so sexy, master coiling there man.. great job!

Too much cotton and the coil to close to the deck causes leaks. 1 ohm coils on the kayfun for me is the best vape. I strictly vape kayfuns as to me it is the best. My current way to set it up is 10 wraps on 1.2mm bit 2mm above the air hole with just enough cotton to touch the deck. No dry hits no leaks. Too much cotton causes dry hits as it inhibits the wicking. Less is more with kayfuns.

Too much cotton and the coil to close to the deck causes leaks. 1 ohm coils on the kayfun for me is the best vape. I strictly vape kayfuns as to me it is the best. My current way to set it up is 10 wraps on 1.2mm bit 2mm above the air hole with just enough cotton to touch the deck. No dry hits no leaks. Too much cotton causes dry hits as it inhibits the wicking. Less is more with kayfuns.
Do you also have the 4 channel one?

Didn't even notice it was the 4 channel one. Nah have the 2 channel and you won't get it from my hands lol

Didn't even notice it was the 4 channel one. Nah have the 2 channel and you won't get it from my hands lol

We're kinda trying to figure out why they made the 4 channeled one in the first place. Seems like they messed with a proven recipe...

Nice coils there! I would suggest at least 1.5mm coils to accommodate more cotton. Also, try and make the tails even longer to fit the whole channel even in the base.
I have found that coils smaller than 1.5mm give some try hits because the cotton cant keep up the wicking for 1mm coils.

Cool thanks TylerD and CVS. Yeah that makes sense, I'll do 1.5mm next time.

I love doing the coils, but getting that cotton wick done right :( geez I battle with that for ages, hopefully I'll get the hang of using just the right amount at some stage. :confused:

I love doing the coils, but getting that cotton wick done right :( geez I battle with that for ages, hopefully I'll get the hang of using just the right amount at some stage. :confused:
Practice makes perfect. It does take time to learn how much you need. Each coil will be different and each RBA will be different.

Agreed. You've purchased some Glycerin BP right? Try rubbing one or two drops onto your fingers when twisting your wick. It gets slightly saturated and strengthens for when you thread it through the coil.

Agreed. You've purchased some Glycerin BP right? Try rubbing one or two drops onto your fingers when twisting your wick. It gets slightly saturated and strengthens for when you thread it through the coil.

I do have some glycerin and I'll definitely be giving that a try..many thanks

Here is my latest invention! The Jagged mini coil.
26g wrapped with a space round 26g (not to be confused with the Clapton coil)
1.5mm ID
0.9Ohms
5 wraps
IMG-20140401-00651.jpg
IMG-20140401-00646.jpg
IMG-20140401-00647.jpg
IMG-20140401-00644.jpg
IMG-20140401-00645.jpg

That looks totally awesome Hein, well done man.

Thanx guys, vapes good! Lots of vapor! Taste is just good but not awesome! Think its more a wow looking coil than wow tasting coil, gotta get me some 30g and 32 g and try again.

So in my whole time of vaping i've now built a grand total of 3 coils without someone coming to the rescue, rebuilt the kayfun lite plus just now with 28g kanthal , wanted 1.3 ohms but got 1.4 and this is how it looks (2mm id ) and just a little bit wonky :0IMG-20140401-WA0004.jpg

Wicked up and ready, it vapes goodIMG-20140401-WA0007.jpg , but im aiming for much better

Also struggling with the 4-channel Kayfun. First build flooding, second build dry-hits and third build wicking sort of OK but with gurgling/low vapour/low flavour.

Anyone found the magic recipe yet?

I don't have an answer for you guys, but I have had zero problems with my 4-channel Kayfun. A little gurgling which I sorted out by opening the air-control screw more. My build is pretty much a stock standard build as shown by Rip Trippers. The only real issue I had was when I made the wick too short and thin and started getting dry hits, but that was my fault.

I'll take pics when I re-wick.

My first twisted coil using .3mm (29G) and .2mm (32G) using a 1.5mm mandrel @ 1.1ohm. Sorry about the focus, but it's late and I got tired of messing around with the AF on my iphone.

13570171734_464a8ee78f.jpg

btw, she really gives a massive throat hit, I almost passed out on the first go :lol:

Last edited:
Also struggling with the 4-channel Kayfun. First build flooding, second build dry-hits and third build wicking sort of OK but with gurgling/low vapour/low flavour.

Anyone found the magic recipe yet?
Haha, not as easy as the Reo hey!

So in my whole time of vaping i've now built a grand total of 3 coils without someone coming to the rescue, rebuilt the kayfun lite plus just now with 28g kanthal , wanted 1.3 ohms but got 1.4 and this is how it looks (2mm id ) and just a little bit wonky :0View attachment 2890
Does not look wonky to me.

The Kayfun version.

Here's my hand at the double barrel. Two coils in parallel consisting of 10 wraps 3og kanthal around a 1mm id (20 gauge needle). Resistance is at 0.5 ohms.

View attachment 2862 View attachment 2864 View attachment 2866
View attachment 2867 View attachment 2868
View attachment 2869 View attachment 2870 View attachment 2871

This did seem to eliminate the gurgling and leaking at first but as I'm typing this I hear that devilish *gluck gluck* and see some juice leaking out of the air hole. I turned it upside down and blew gently into the air hole with a tissue underneath the drip tip. The gurgling is gone now but I'm unsure for how long.

I've just completed this build so I'll give more feedback later but so far the vape has been very nice. Very warm with 8/10 throat hit and 9.5/10 flavour. Vapour production is a sub-par 6.5/10.

I do get an "almost" dry hit every 10 or so drags. Any ideas? Is it because the wick is too thin to accommodate the 1mm coil?

Is this how you suggest we wick the 4 channeled Kayfun @Cape vaping supplies?

I know we are supposed to concentrate on the coils but @Reinvanhardt those photos are spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back