Spaced vs Compressed Coils

@Nightwalker what coils do you prefer in your TFv4? I tried spaced on my dual deck but kept getting dry burns on long hits :(
Right now I have been only using compressed coils and alot of wick to avoid this. Maybe I should use less wick in a spaced coil?
If anyone can give me some pointers I'd happily give spaced coils a go again.

@Nightwalker what coils do you prefer in your TFv4? I tried spaced on my dual deck but kept getting dry burns on long hits :(
Right now I have been only using compressed coils and alot of wick to avoid this. Maybe I should use less wick in a spaced coil?
I use a Griffin and at the moment I'm using 26g spaced 3mnID dual coils as a test. I used less wick thickness in the coil than I would for Claptons as I'm vaping at 40W with this setup. Its OK, but when I recoil, I'm going back to Clapton, there is a flavour difference. IMO

A friend who vapes tvf4 uses parral coils, and loves it

I use a Griffin and at the moment I'm using 26g spaced 3mnID dual coils as a test. I used less wick thickness in the coil than I would for Claptons as I'm vaping at 40W with this setup. Its OK, but when I recoil, I'm going back to Clapton, there is a flavour difference. IMO
I found the flavour to be a little muted on spaced coils. I thought I was the only one till I read here. I had a 5 wrap spaced clapton in the TFv4 and didn't like it at all.

Don't do that. Lol. He has done both. Atm he is using SS.

I have a lot of 26g SS laying around at home so I'm sorted there. Should I just do a straight parallel coil or do you think I should I just go for twisted SS coils?

I have a lot of 26g SS laying around at home so I'm sorted there. Should I just do a straight parallel coil or do you think I should I just go for twisted SS coils?

Twisted is good too. I use normal parral coils but twisted is lekker

Heres what I think I've found but not sure.
In my Griffin I've been using compressed 26/32 dual 3mmID Claptons. Wonderful.

But.
For sheets and giggles, I just did a spaced 26g dual 3mmID standard build in the Griffin.

Now

Here's the question.
Besides basically no ramp up time, it feels to me that the spaced coils juice up faster on spaced coils. Am I crazy?

I'll do spaced Claptons if it's true.

I had the same experience as you on the griffin. The flavour also seems better with normal spaced coils

So people were asking about spaced Claptons. I had to recoil and wick my Griffin as I broke my glass tank.
So I built.. 26/32 dual 5 wrap spaced Claptons with a 3.5 ID. Vaping at 60W.
I don't like warm vaping, first of all. More flavour. I have a habit of blowing into tank before I inhale, (don't know why) so the ramp up time is nothing. Also with 3.5ID coils, its a juicy hit. No spit back. And I think it will be hard to get a dry hit.
Verdict, I don't know anymore, spaced and compressed have there equal ups and downs.

In tanks I have only been doing spaced for a very long time prefer spaced over compressed in a tank. On a dripper compressed.
Different strokes for different folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, do a simple zipper coil.
Twist 2 x 28g clockwise
Twist 2 x 28g anti-clockwise
Put two diff strands together and wind coil in parallel so the twisted strands look like a zipper.
You won't believe the flavor of this. I've done it a few times and regularly go back to it because of the flavor.
This is the only compressed coil I ever make, but I guess you can do the parallel in spaced as well, like this:
12479137_1690815811188457_1002557270_n.jpg

Just my 2c :)

Guys, do a simple zipper coil.
Twist 2 x 28g clockwise
Twist 2 x 28g anti-clockwise
Put two diff strands together and wind coil in parallel so the twisted strands look like a zipper.
You won't believe the flavor of this. I've done it a few times and regularly go back to it because of the flavor.
This is the only compressed coil I ever make, but I guess you can do the parallel in spaced as well, like this:
12479137_1690815811188457_1002557270_n.jpg

Just my 2c :)
A zipper coil? Holy cow. OK, I'm going to try that on payday

A few images of zipper coils:

iSAcBiG.jpg

cu2lLsj.jpg

0.jpg

BzNzxFx.jpg

eb6f6ccc622f5199fa8aeca5e4009cd7.jpg

You don't have to flatten the surfaces like in some of these build, that is only done to make if look fancy and it may improve surface contact a little, but it's not necessary. The flavor off a normal zipper coils is awesome enough!

I used to do compressed coils, but now I only do spaced as well. I'm on the Fibrefreaks Cotton Nr2 which is like a sheet of cotton but it doesn't have the fluffy bit in between the two outer layers...... A bit p!ssed that I didn't take the Nr1 as it's quite difficult to wick with Nr2. Also, in the Mutation tank, it uses a lot of wick which results in a dry hit VERY quickly! I find that using a spaced coil resolves this problem instantly.

I used to do compressed coils, but now I only do spaced as well. I'm on the Fibrefreaks Cotton Nr2 which is like a sheet of cotton but it doesn't have the fluffy bit in between the two outer layers...... A bit p!ssed that I didn't take the Nr1 as it's quite difficult to wick with Nr2. Also, in the Mutation tank, it uses a lot of wick which results in a dry hit VERY quickly! I find that using a spaced coil resolves this problem instantly.
Why the hell would they make flat cotton for wicking????
But yeah, spaced coils juice faster

For zipper coils they need to be twisted much tighter than that :)

Back