Spaced vs Compressed Coils

I was sitting on my bed. To lazy to walk to garage to get drill. Used a pen and pliers. Sigh. I'll use this in my ECR head for the Ijust2 tank. And try again. Lol:oops:

Did this quickly just now. Twisted 28g kanthal zipper parallel with 25g kanthal. 7 wraps zipper with 5 wraps 25g. Comes to .17Ω
You can leave out the other wire and just do the zipper. Ohms should be above .2 but you can do more wraps for higher ohms.

IMG_20160223_110617.jpg

Did this very quickly (about 5 minutes from start to finish) and it's not very neat, but the flavor is awesome. Very full taste.

Did this quickly just now. Twisted 28g kanthal zipper parallel with 25g kanthal. 7 wraps zipper with 5 wraps 25g. Comes to .17Ω
You can leave out the other wire and just do the zipper. Ohms should be above .2 but you can do more wraps for higher ohms.

IMG_20160223_110617.jpg

Did this very quickly (about 5 minutes from start to finish) and it's not very neat, but the flavor is awesome. Very full taste.
That is awesome. Master Jedi you are. Padawan I am

@Zadiac thanks for the quick tutorial - now if only work would end so I can go home and try this shyte out :D

EDIT: My apologies Zadiac :)

Last edited:
So i have been playing around with making my own coils for a while now and have had some great success with both compressed and spaced coils but was wondering if there is there any real science to which to use when and why, any rules of thumb or tips and tricks.

I started playing around with compressed coils but noticed that as I was adding more wraps to the coil I was increasing my chance of dry hits if chain vaping, especially at higher wattages. Ive been building with Stainless steel mostly as I like playing with the TC but these dry hits would happen regardless of running on TC or not. I think its due to the fact the center of the coil doesn't have time to cool down quickly enough and if the compressed coil is too long you run the risk of the center of the wick getting dry.

Changing to a spaced coil it has solved this problem and no more dry hits, I can now chain vape with out a problem. The TC also seems to work a helluva lot better with the spaced coil which got me thinking as to when would you prefer to use a compressed coil over a spaced coil?

I have not experienced much with long coils with plenty wraps - just 6 or 7 wraps.
And I mainly use thinner Kanthal (around 28g)
Have experimented mostly in the Reo - so my coils have been small ID coils - around 1.6mm ID.

With that in mind, I have found that I prefer compressed coils over spaced.
It seems the contact coils get hotter and give me a crisper vape.
The spaced coils often spit and I find the vape is not as crisp.

I am not a temp control vaper but from what I understood, with Nickel coils, one needs to go spaced for temp control because it works better that way. Not sure about SS though.

NI200 you pretty much have to use spaced as you cant really bed the coils in. With the SS I've been dropping the gauge from 26 to 24 to be able to add more wraps, my logic being that more wraps = more surface area = better vape but it seems there might be an upper limit on the amount of wraps you can do.

Funny enough I seem to get a slightly better flavor when the coils are spaced too, and less spitting. It could just be that I don't get that burned taste on occasion :rolleyes:

When using Kanthal i make them compressed. Easy and quick.
When using SS I make them spaced because I was told that SS compressed in TC might cause a short on the coil. Not sure how accurate my info is but that is what I do.
Want to test the Ni soon

So i have been playing around with making my own coils for a while now and have had some great success with both compressed and spaced coils but was wondering if there is there any real science to which to use when and why, any rules of thumb or tips and tricks.

I started playing around with compressed coils but noticed that as I was adding more wraps to the coil I was increasing my chance of dry hits if chain vaping, especially at higher wattages. Ive been building with Stainless steel mostly as I like playing with the TC but these dry hits would happen regardless of running on TC or not. I think its due to the fact the center of the coil doesn't have time to cool down quickly enough and if the compressed coil is too long you run the risk of the center of the wick getting dry.

Changing to a spaced coil it has solved this problem and no more dry hits, I can now chain vape with out a problem. The TC also seems to work a helluva lot better with the spaced coil which got me thinking as to when would you prefer to use a compressed coil over a spaced coil?

I tend to go the spaced coil route mostly in tanks. I find it seems to assist with wicking. I agree with you 100% TC with spaced SS works far better than compressed. I must be of the few who still uses Ni200 :p

Drippers on the other hand don't run the issue of not wicking efficiently, and i find the compress coils produce a hotter, denser vape on the dripper. Oddly enough, the spaced coils for me on a dripper always end up spitting back at some point.

With regard to accuracy of TC with SS, I recall reading that the lower the resistance of the SS coil, the less drastic the change in resistance will be when the coil is heated, which effectively would mean a less accurate TC.

I tend to go the spaced coil route mostly in tanks. I find it seems to assist with wicking. I agree with you 100% TC with spaced SS works far better than compressed. I must be of the few who still uses Ni200 :p

Drippers on the other hand don't run the issue of not wicking efficiently, and i find the compress coils produce a hotter, denser vape on the dripper. Oddly enough, the spaced coils for me on a dripper always end up spitting back at some point.

With regard to accuracy of TC with SS, I recall reading that the lower the resistance of the SS coil, the less drastic the change in resistance will be when the coil is heated, which effectively would mean a less accurate TC.
Spot on imo. Compressed coils, from a power point of view, are certainly more effective, but when it comes to tanks, for the sake of effective wicking, one has to forego that extra bit of effectiveness.

Want to test the Ni soon

Ni is really tough to work with, the resistance is so low and you need to run it spaced that it is a challenge even in a 25mm deck. Played with making a ni200 build yesterday and ended up with 13 wraps spaced, dual coil 26ga ni200 and that came in at 0.06Ω. Luckily the 350J chipset can go as low as 0.05 so i was able to run it and it is a really nice vape. Going 30 or 28 would start becoming quite fiddly to work with.

Drippers running compressed makes a lot of sense.

On a standard build 26g kanthal or stainless steel I used spaced coils and with Clapton I use compressed. These work for me

I have recently moved from ss316 fused clapton to single 26g ss316 and I do 5-6 wraps, spaced and it's at 0.56 ohms. Great flavour and no spitback at all, also much lighter on batteries and juice compared to clapton IMO.

I will space a single strand coil but parallel strand coils I compress.

Most mods can't TC parallel compressed coil well but the Hohm Slice does it without breaking a sweat.

I have had the same experience with dry hits on a compressed single strand coil but for some reason going into parallel mitigates the dry hit effect.

I only do spaced coils. Flavor is better for me that way.

IMO the closeness of the compressed coils leads to sympathetic heating and messes with the TCR factor in TC.
I therefore do spaced on TC regardless of wire and compressed kanthal in watt mode.
Its a fine line between okay flavour with a compressed SS coil and burnt rubbish.
Added benefit of not having to dry burn exotic metals like SS Ni and Ti to make a decently performing coil, I'll go so far as to say a spaced coil wicks and vapourizes more juice than a compressed coil.

I was always concerned that the tightly wound/wrapped coils would somehow ’trap’ the vapour inside the coil (not the claptons, but the perfectly round wire). I don’t have a fancy coil making thingy so I didn’t know how to make a spaced coil. Anyway I built a setup for my Velocity V2, SS 316 l 26ga 9 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrill and spaced them best I could (dual coils 0.3 Ohms)

Well it works very well for me and I’m Happy with the vape I get. Thanks for the good people here and this thread for finally getting me to do a spaced coil.

It's seems like the cosensus is exactly what I've experienced, spaced seems to be better for both TC and tanks, compressed for RDA.

@Warlock, I find one of the easiest ways is to make a parelell coil then simply unscrew one from the other once it's made, your spacing is immaculate and you have 2 perfect coils

Ni is really tough to work with, the resistance is so low and you need to run it spaced that it is a challenge even in a 25mm deck. Played with making a ni200 build yesterday and ended up with 13 wraps spaced, dual coil 26ga ni200 and that came in at 0.06Ω. Luckily the 350J chipset can go as low as 0.05 so i was able to run it and it is a really nice vape. Going 30 or 28 would start becoming quite fiddly to work with.

Drippers running compressed makes a lot of sense.
Yeah getting the resistance right with ni is tricky.

I do find ni200 to work best as a single coil though. I was never happy with duals.

I have had great success with either 26g single coils as well as twisted 30g

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

The only time I ever do a spaced coil is for NI... personally I have found the flavour better on a tight coil... and my OCD hates a spaced untidy coil!

The only time I ever do a spaced coil is for NI... personally I have found the flavour better on a tight coil... and my OCD hates a spaced untidy coil!

I can get pretty OCD about getting my coils spaced decently too. I Don't think I did too bad of a job. This isn the 26g ni200 build I was talking about earlier.

IMG_2600.JPG

I only do spaced coils (for the past 18 months+) on Ekowool, free hand - no OCD on my side.

I was always concerned that the tightly wound/wrapped coils would somehow ’trap’ the vapour inside the coil (not the claptons, but the perfectly round wire). I don’t have a fancy coil making thingy so I didn’t know how to make a spaced coil. Anyway I built a setup for my Velocity V2, SS 316 l 26ga 9 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrill and spaced them best I could (dual coils 0.3 Ohms)

Well it works very well for me and I’m Happy with the vape I get. Thanks for the good people here and this thread for finally getting me to do a spaced coil.
@Warlock have a look at this post. It`s a nice and easy way to build spaced coils:--). No need for the for the coiler tool, you can use screwdrivers, drillbits etc. You will get the same result.;)

No wonder I am battling to get Stainless steel compressed coils to work on TC mode. My TC SS refuses to work on My RX 2/3 and Pico Mega. I must try spaced coils. Thanks for the useful information in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back