Starting Out Right - Die Kriek's Vaping Diary

Ok no, burnt taste is still there. Looks like I killed my first coil
Now, you will have to learn from members like @Silver and @BhavZ how to cheaply re-coil that yourself for a vape better than the commercial coil. You can try @Google as well for some videos.

1.8 ohms @ 11w is about 3.8v

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

My calculations suggest about 4.5 volts Gazza

Is your ohms law formula on a nic buzz?

Ok no, burnt taste is still there. Looks like I killed my first coil

If you change your coil @Die Kriek - keep the suspected burnt out one. You can use it at some point later on to recoil it. But I suggest you get familiar with the standard stock coils first.

I have sometimes also noticed that a coil takes a while to get into the swing of things. I have also noticed that some coils are not good at all - i.e dud coils. I suspect that some of the coils are not made very well inside.

Changed the coil and I let the tank stand upright for 10 minutes before even screwing it onto the battery. At 3.3 volts, and something still doesn't seem right. The vapor doesn't really taste burnt, it feels burnt. Feels very scratchy and hits my throat hard. This is 2 coils in a row, and I'm pretty sure this coil wasn't dry

What juice are you using again?

It is just possible that the 18mg is too strong for you @Die Kriek, my wife had a similar issue. We switched to 12mg and she has had no problems since. If you have other 18mg juices as well, maybe try them and see if you experience the same.

It is just possible that the 18mg is too strong for you @Die Kriek, my wife had a similar issue. We switched to 12mg and she has had no problems since. If you have other 18mg juices as well, maybe try them and see if you experience the same.
Can going from 12mg to 18mg make that much of a difference?

You'd be surprised. I had some 18mg VM Choc Mint left and filled a tank after about 2 weeks of using 12mg. Felt like I had been gargling glass by the end of the day.

I'm not too concerned about you experiencing more throat hit with the 18mg than the 12mg. That is normal.
But what worries me is that you say the vapour feels burnt. Shouldnt feel like that.
How is it behaving now?

Try on a very low voltage setting - does it even crackle? Does the vapour feel burnt?

I'm not too concerned about you experiencing more throat hit with the 18mg than the 12mg. That is normal.
But what worries me is that you say the vapour feels burnt. Shouldnt feel like that.
How is it behaving now?

Try on a very low voltage setting - does it even crackle? Does the vapour feel burnt?
Have it on 3.3, lowest the battery can go. The flavour is there, but very little of it, it crackles well, but I still get a scratchy feeling in my mouth, like I'm inhaling dust. It's more prominent in my throat, but some in my mouth as well.

Is this with the VM Vanilla Custard?

In the intrest of getting as much data as possible I asked Oom Google how to open a mPT2 coil. Took off the rubber cap and the top pin thingy, took out the 2 flavour wicks, they look fine, clear white color. The coil wick has a very faint brown color where the coil sits over it, but very very faint, lighter than the juice even

Really not sure how to explain the scratchy sensation you are experiencing
Perhaps try to put it all together and make sure the coil is screwed in properly.

Try again

If its still scratchy, I would suggest trying a different coil altogether if you have one.
- if that doesnt work, try a different juice altogether, if you have
- if that doesnt work, then I am a bit stumped without seeing it in the flesh.

Maybe @BhavZ can assist here as well.

My calculations suggest about 4.5 volts Gazza

Is your ohms law formula on a nic buzz?
Maybe I should stop doing calculations between calls and posting here during the day, starting to get them wrong often because i'm in a rush. Thanks for the Correction @Silver.

Really not sure how to explain the scratchy sensation you are experiencing
Perhaps try to put it all together and make sure the coil is screwed in properly.

Try again

If its still scratchy, I would suggest trying a different coil altogether if you have one.
- if that doesnt work, try a different juice altogether, if you have
- if that doesnt work, then I am a bit stumped without seeing it in the flesh.

Maybe @BhavZ can assist here as well.
Had the same problem with 2 different coils, my VK4 is fine, going to try another VM juice (all 18mg) to see if it is just maybe the higher nic

Ok so I put some VM4 in my other tank, also 18mg (by the way, tastes divine!) Also getting that scratchy feeling, but not as hard, so I upped the volts to 4.3 to test, now I get the same scratchy feeling on the inhale, but nothing on exhale, the Vanilla has a hit on the exhale as well.

Seems to me it just might be the higher nicotine. Way to test this is to try another one of the 12 mg juices. Do not throw the 18 mg juices away. Your body is still adjusting. If, in the end, you stick with 12 mg you can always dilute the 18 mg with PG or with 6 mg of the same juice.

I didn't particularly enjoy the vanilla custard either, thought it was a bit harsh too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok, 3 different coils tried, it's definitely the juice. @devdev, what is the 'dischem blend' you use in your juice? think this one needs some

Ok, 3 different coils tried, it's definitely the juice. @devdev, what is the 'dischem blend' you use in your juice? think this one needs some

Its a blend of 60 VG/30 PG/10 H2O

Get Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin and distilled water and you are all set. I dilute juices at 50/50 or 60 juice / 40 blend.

I have got myself moving towards 4.5mg nic now, but I still have a ton of 12mg stock, which I vape in region of 6 to 9mg

I have noticed that certain flavours can scratch the throat, especially when starting out on vaping. Remember your mouth and throat is still adjusting to the new environment and smoking does numb the senses so as your taste buds, palate and villi in the throat reawaken certain juices may scratch the throat. As @Matthee said, dont throw any of the juices away just yet, you can always dilute them down with PG, VG or a low nic strength of the same juice.

Also VM makes their juices fresh, how long have you had the juice for? It may need a bit of steeping time. I would suggest letting the custard steep for about 48hrs. The method I use is to firstly store the juice in a dark cool cupboard, with everything sealed, give it a good shake so that you see bubbles in the bottle twice a day. After 48hrs give it a bit of a test, if the scratchiness is still there let it steep for another 4-5days with the method described above, then give it another go.

If you find that the scratchiness is still there (feels like you are inhaling razor blades) then it is most likely the high nic level which your body is not used, else if the scratchiness has diminished or even completely gone then it means that some of the flavour needed to blend a bit more with the base (which is perfectly normal).

What I have noticed is that if you really wanna go high nic, but you are getting the scratchiness, slow drags into the mouth, then a slow inhale into the lungs tends to do the trick, only thing is that with this method a silver can sneak up on you so be aware of that.

Hope that helps.

Back