Bumpedy Bump - Vape Mail!

What are the 510 taps for?

They are for making the thread that your tanks screw into. The thread on the top of your mod. I can now make a Rio for instance, or a 510 adaptor.

510 taps (along with 510 dies) are also handy to standardize your vape gear. Not all 510 connections in mods and on atty's are created equal. So coming across a 510 mod that will not accept every 510 atty is not all that uncommon. I own a lot of mods and atty's, and some have had to be "fitted" to work together smoothly. Most often with mine it has been the atty's thread specs that was the problem, not the mods, but I did get a new Reo once that was the culprit.

Hi @Spydro
The 510 thread (M7 with a 0.5 pitch) on the attachments is usually generated on a CNC lathe using a full form tungsten carbide tip. This tip will fail if the machinist pushes it beyond its limits. If the tip loses just a tiny piece of its point the thread will be out of limits and won’t work well. This will manifest itself with the thread having a root diameter that is too large.

This is why you found that it is usually the attachment that was the problem.

The attachment can usually be repaired with a 510 die and the female thread on the mod with a 510 tap.

Handy to have yes ... easy to find in South Africa ... no.

Hi @Spydro
The 510 thread (M7 with a 0.5 pitch) on the attachments is usually generated on a CNC lathe using a full form tungsten carbide tip. This tip will fail if the machinist pushes it beyond its limits. If the tip loses just a tiny piece of its point the thread will be out of limits and won’t work well. This will manifest itself with the thread having a root diameter that is too large.

This is why you found that it is usually the attachment that was the problem.

The attachment can usually be repaired with a 510 die and the female thread on the mod with a 510 tap.

Handy to have yes ... easy to find in South Africa ... no.

Agree with the why's. Among the many hats I have worn in my life I did machine work for some of the jobs and businesses I owed, and in my shop at home for hobbies.

And then that awesome addition to my arsenal of gadgets ... 510 taps.

100_1211small-jpg.69851

Where did you find them. I need a set of taps and dies.

Morning @GregF

It was a long and torturous affair.

Made in Germany, imported to Britain, couriered to Wales, cleft stick to my front door (visiting friend from Nantyglo in Wales).

www.rotagriponline.com

Cost R410.00 ... interestingly I had a quotation from a local tool manufacturer ... R9000.00 for one, dropped to R7000.00 each if I ordered 5.

Morning @GregF

It was a long and torturous affair.

Made in Germany, imported to Britain, couriered to Wales, cleft stick to my front door (visiting friend from Nantyglo in Wales).

www.rotagriponline.com

Cost R410.00 ... interestingly I had a quotation from a local tool manufacturer ... R9000.00 for one, dropped to R7000.00 each if I ordered 5.

Eish, R9k
What a ripoff

Unfortunately it is justified for a one of tap. The price would drop drastically if you ordered 1000 of. It is not as if a one man is going to be standing in front of a lathe to make it. The entire cost of production has to be paid for by that one tap ... all the various processes, and there are lots of them.

Unfortunately it is justified for a one of tap. The price would drop drastically if you ordered 1000 of. It is not as if a one man is going to be standing in front of a lathe to make it. The entire cost of production has to be paid for by that one tap ... all the various processes, and there are lots of them.
makes sense if u put it that way

Back