Calling all DIY'ers

I have been attempting this DIY thing for the past month or so and although my mixes come out nice and I always finish them I will say that they never seem to be as good as the ones you buy off the shelf. I have a few different flavours to play with but I must say I am struggling to find recipes for the ones I have. Like I search the recipe sites and I think something is really cool only to discover I am missing some of the ingredients. So far I have nailed menthol mixes.

Blueberry Ice

TFA Blueberry 7%
Just B Menthol Ice 10%

All I'm going to say is additives ;) I can tell you that Ethyl Maltol (sp) helps A LOT when it comes to making your flavours pop and shine through a mix. Also, you may want to start upping your flavour percentages if you're making a VG heavy juice.

Oh trust me I have the Ethyl already. And I generally stick to 50/50. Sometimes Ill go for a 60/40 for when I feel like hitting it down low with big clouds.

Oh trust me I have the Ethyl already. And I generally stick to 50/50. Sometimes Ill go for a 60/40 for when I feel like hitting it down low with big clouds.

Interesting.... a 50/50 mix should be good with the flavour. Tbh, when I first started my mixes didn't taste too good, but after time I've found that I was being too shy with my flavours, and that upping my percentages really upped the level of my juices. Almost all my juices have between 20 to 30 percent flavouring in them. Maybe make yourself a "strong flavour" batch... try it out. there's no harm in it ;)

This is my thing I have liked all my juices eventually. Except my first custard attempt...HORRIBLE! :sick: But the others after some steeping were okay. I am missing that WOW factor. Like I ordered a 100ml bottle of Voodoo dark forest last week and as soon as I dripped it I was like :dance:...I just havent got that with my mixes yet

This is my thing I have liked all my juices eventually. Except my first custard attempt...HORRIBLE! :sick: But the others after some steeping were okay. I am missing that WOW factor. Like I ordered a 100ml bottle of Voodoo dark forest last week and as soon as I dripped it I was like :dance:...I just havent got that with my mixes yet

Maybe what you're missing is the complexity factor? I'm sure @r0gue z0mbie will agree, try some clone recipes to get a good feel for what other people use in their juices. It's a real eye opener to see a list of 10+ flavourings go into a juice. With complex amazing flavour, comes an even more amazingly complex recipe :p (I still don't know how some of these guys think to combine some of these ingredients.)

One of the ones I tried was a H1n1 Clone which was quite complex. That was quite nice but had to substitute a few different flavours as I didnt have the specific ones they mentioned. H1N1 the virus is my all time favourite ejuice. Hands down

My very first time to post a receipe. Woohoo!! Just how exciting is that? I saw Nicotickets description of Virus and thought I would try to replicate it. Here goes.
All Flavors are TFA unless otherwise noted
6% RY 4
4% 555 FW
3% Caramel Orig.
2% Vanilla
2% mixed nuts FA
.5% Cinnamon Danish
4% Catalan Cream FA
6% Coffee Espresso FA
Let steep minimum 2 weeks, unless you can do some of the quick methods, I just put my juices up and let them have their time.

Taken from:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-version-of-nico-tickets-h1n1-virus.21481/

My very first time to post a receipe. Woohoo!! Just how exciting is that? I saw Nicotickets description of Virus and thought I would try to replicate it. Here goes.
6% RY 4
4% 555 FW
3% Caramel Orig.
2% Vanilla
2% mixed nuts FA
.5% Cinnamon Danish
4% Catalan Cream FA
6% Coffee Espresso FA
Let steep minimum 2 weeks, unless you can do some of the quick methods, I just put my juices up and let them have their time.

Taken from:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-version-of-nico-tickets-h1n1-virus.21481/

That looks awesome! Thanks for the share ;)

Well... if you're making complex mixes, and you're using additives, then you're in the same boat as me when it comes to not getting that "X" factor when it comes to juices. I think it'll come down to experimentation and time. Not all of us are master mixers, so I guess we'll just flounder about until we stumble across something good :D

Maybe what you're missing is the complexity factor? I'm sure @r0gue z0mbie will agree, try some clone recipes to get a good feel for what other people use in their juices. It's a real eye opener to see a list of 10+ flavourings go into a juice. With complex amazing flavour, comes an even more amazingly complex recipe :p (I still don't know how some of these guys think to combine some of these ingredients.)

Yip, in my limited experience, I would say it's largely about really honed recipes... when the magic happens. Otherwise it just turns out okay.
I mean all these juice brands - they are using the same ingredients we are. It's not like food where the chef sources the very best beef and herbs, so the chances of you imitating their meal are not great. They are using TPA, FA, FW etc. They just have the recipes down.

I have also noticed two weeks is often not enough steeping time.
I had a simple Pineapple and Coconut mix. After two weeks it was nice, but not magic. I vaped it away anyway, but after say 4 weeks, when it was just about finished, it became really really nice. After two weeks the flavours weren't quite settled.

Yip, in my limited experience, I would say it's largely about really honed recipes... when the magic happens. Otherwise it just turns out okay.
I mean all these juice brands - they are using the same ingredients we are. It's not like food where the chef sources the very best beef and herbs, so the chances of you imitating their meal are not great. They are using TPA, FA, FW etc. They just have the recipes down.

I have also noticed two weeks is often not enough steeping time.
I had a simple Pineapple and Coconut mix. After two weeks it was nice, but not magic. I vaped it away anyway, but after say 4 weeks, when it was just about finished, it became really really nice. After two weeks the flavours weren't quite settled.

In terms of the flavours used, that's exactly what @Neil and myself were saying the other day. We're getting the same source ingredients, it's just a matter of mixing them up like the master mixers do (I'm sure 99% of the mixes most juice companies attempt don't see the light of day due to the same problems we're having).

As for steeping, you're 100% spot on. The longer the steep, the better as there is no substitute for time.

6% RY 4
4% 555 FW
3% Caramel Orig.
2% Vanilla
2% mixed nuts FA
.5% Cinnamon Danish
4% Catalan Cream FA
6% Coffee Espresso FA

Taken from:
Hey man, that looks delicious. Where did you get the Flavour Art flavourings?

Hey man, that looks delicious. Where did you get the Flavour Art flavourings?

As I stated this is a recipe I found online trying to recreate my all time favourite. I used a combination of TFA and Vapor Mountain concentrates at different strengths to try and recreate this. I dont have 555 tab so I used DK which at this ratio is far to strong. I dulled down the DK and upped the caramel to 5% and this seemed to be quite nice. Still not anywhere near H1N1 but was interesting. I also didnt have Mixed nuts or cinnamon danish. Actually this was my Latest attempt

6% RY 4 Double TFA
2% DK TFA
5% Caramel VM
3% Vanilla VM
3% Chocolate VM
1% Cinnamon VM
4% Cream VM
4% Coffee VM

As I stated this is a recipe I found online trying to recreate my all time favourite. I used a combination of TFA and Vapor Mountain concentrates at different strengths to try and recreate this. I dont have 555 tab so I used DK which at this ratio is far to strong. I dulled down the DK and upped the caramel to 5% and this seemed to be quite nice. Still not anywhere near H1N1 but was interesting. I also didnt have Mixed nuts or cinnamon danish. Actually this was my Latest attempt

6% RY 4 Double TFA
2% DK TFA
5% Caramel VM
3% Vanilla VM
3% Chocolate VM
1% Cinnamon VM
4% Cream VM
4% Coffee VM

DK Tobacco... My nemesis. I just can't get this stuff to taste nice in any mix, no matter what I do.

DK Tobacco... My nemesis. I just can't get this stuff to taste nice in any mix, no matter what I do.

I must say It is rather terrible. I am not really a tabacco man at all. But the virus pulls it off perfectly. I did try the mix without any DK and it was completely off. I need to get my hands on some 555 and nuts to give this a fair chance

I must say It is rather terrible. I am not really a tabacco man at all. But the virus pulls it off perfectly. I did try the mix without any DK and it was completely off. I need to get my hands on some 555 and nuts to give this a fair chance

I don't think that can be considered a Tobacco flavour. I get a lemongrass and ginger flavour with a slight nuttyness coming through.

Did you try the ACETYL PYRAZINE for a nutty undertone? Was reading up on this and seems worth a try

Did you try the ACETYL PYRAZINE for a nutty undertone? Was reading up on this and seems worth a try

That'll work a charm, just be VERY careful with the stuff in your mix, one drop too many will ruin it.

That'll work a charm, just be VERY careful with the stuff in your mix, one drop too many will ruin it.

I will keep this in mind! Thanks guys! I see Valley Vapor have quite a large selection to choose from. Abit more pricey so will order what I cant find else where!

I will keep this in mind! Thanks guys! I see Valley Vapor have quite a large selection to choose from. Abit more pricey so will order what I cant find else where!

Save and buy in bulk ;) when you buy more than 10 flavours, you get a discount! :D

So I did 7 x 30ml mixes last night and after shacking like mad had to make another plan !!
Building a magnetic thingy is not for me as I like to do 30ml at a time, my taste changes almost on every mix

So this is what I came up with and it works 200%. I mix a 30ml in the bottle then throth it for 20 seconds until it looks like cream. leave it open for a couple of hours and into the dark place.

This throther was very cheap, maybe R60 or so. Do not remember where the boss got it but its vape gear now. Just knip of the tip and make a small loop. It works like magic

IMG_20150505_121039.jpg IMG_20150505_122448.jpg

Maybe I can use the cutoff for a mother-coil...hehehe

In terms of the flavours used, that's exactly what @Neil and myself were saying the other day. We're getting the same source ingredients, it's just a matter of mixing them up like the master mixers do (I'm sure 99% of the mixes most juice companies attempt don't see the light of day due to the same problems we're having).

As for steeping, you're 100% spot on. The longer the steep, the better as there is no substitute for time.

This goes back to someone in the thread, a week or two ago, asking why some of us DIY'ers arent posting up our recipes.

The BIG difference between me and the "good stuff" vendors, is ATTEMPTS.
Me, and likely most DIY'ers, will make a new recipe. It will taste OK. We will finish vaping it, possibly modifying "live" as we vape. A vendor will probably mix up the exact same thing, vape it for a few puffs in different devices, and then bin it and start over.
A vendor will not be happy with a "just OK" juice. I can well imagine that they bin more ingredients per month on "development" than what we use for actual vaping!

What I am saying is that developing just 1 new bottle of juice, to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, will probably take around 20-50 remakes. Difference is that a vendor/mixer will do those in a week or month. For us personal-DIY'ers, that could take a VERY long time.

You will NEVER make the perfect DIY juice on the first try. Unless you follow a recipe.
... And even those can turn out wonky...

This goes back to someone in the thread, a week or two ago, asking why some of us DIY'ers arent posting up our recipes.

Me, and likely most DIY'ers, will make a new recipe. It will taste OK. We will finish vaping it, possibly modifying "live" as we vape. A vendor will probably mix up the exact same thing, vape it for a few puffs in different devices, and then bin it and start over.
A vendor will not be happy with a "just OK" juice. I can well imagine that they bin more ingredients per month on "development" than what we use for actual vaping!

What I am saying is that developing just 1 new bottle of juice, to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, will probably take around 20-50 remakes. Difference is that a vendor/mixer will do those in a week or month. For us personal-DIY'ers, that could take a VERY long time.

You will NEVER make the perfect DIY juice on the first try. Unless you follow a recipe.

While I agree that the MAJORITY of DIYers won't do this...many juice vendors, especially locally start out with DIY and move on from there. Some people just get flavour better than others and have a better understanding of what to combine and at which levels - this comes from experience and perhaps even an "x factor".

The same can be said of chefs, brewers, etc. There are always those people who create something new better than others and it is not always because they throw enough crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Personally I have witnessed the creation of what I consider an exceptional juice right in front of my eyes on the first try - it may be rare, but saying NEVER is never a good idea ;)

With all that said:

I am semi-happy to reveal my first 99% complete DYI Juice Mix to our forum members here.
Feel free to adjust the overall amount of flavouring as suitable to your personal PG/VG ratios.

If you are going to do that, use the Flavour Percentage thingy in "eJuice Me Up". (Tools menu --> Flavour Percentage).
21% Percentage Flavour to eLiquid (is what I use); (1)57% (2)24% (3)19% (1=Strawberry, 2=Hazelnut, 3=Cream)

You can then adjust that 21% at the top to whatever you want (Higher for more VG based juice, lower for more PG based juice), and ---> To Main Form clicky.

Ex:
flavour percentage.PNG

Default recipe right now: (for use directly in eJMU app - no need for above percentage step, made user friendly!)
(All ingredients sourced from Skyblue)

Strawberry Tart:

40PG/60VG, 12mg Nic
12% TFA Sweet Strawberry.
5% TFA Hazelnut Praline.
4% CAPELLA Sweet Cream.

Ex:
Mix.PNG

Steep AT LEAST one week, two weeks RECOMMENDED!

If you wanna turn this into "Strawberry Fridge Tart", just add 1% Koolada on top!

I hear what you're saying, but don' agree at all. I don't think anyone starts out in DIY expecting to create the next international premium juice hit. Most people, like myself, will do DIY for the fun of it and as a hobby. Also to save some money on juice in the long run. We always preach that taste is subjective, so one man's OK juice could well be another man's ADV. I was one of the people complaining that people don't share their recipes. To me, the only way to get the most from a forum such as this is by sharing ideas and information. Otherwise we're just a bunch of guys playing with out keyboards, talking shit and playing :"mine is bigger than yours" with our mods.

One might mix up an OK juice, share the recipe and someone else might go "let's add that", or "why not try this additive" and turn it into a joy to vape. We might as well remove the whole DIY section on the forum if the idea is "every man for himself" in my opinion.

When I look at the international forums and the passion they have for DIY it saddens me to say I am south african. Really.

Back