HE v non-HE

Oops this is in the HE vs non-HE thread.
I didn't mean it @Feliks Karp ....can we still be friends?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is awesome. Some decent banter in a good spirit.

Sent from my Note 4

Wow, this is one hotly contested thread!

Having caught the last three pages, this seems to be more about instilling a revolution - the apparent LE public getting to the point where they'd like to lead the apparent HE Marie Antoinette-esque snobs to the guillotine. Lol. Can't see much of a discussion between the gear here.

What even classifies vape gear as High End? Is it:

1. The Price?
2. The Rarity?
3. The Use of Expensive Materials?
4. Just talked up by parties that can afford and justify the purchase to themselves?
5. The associated engineering and ergonomics of the product?

Talking on each point:

1. I could buy a normal pico and melo 3 combo for R25k - do I now own HE gear? Or am I just a silly sod for falling for that without researching the associated value?

2. Does having something that's one of a kind with a limited production run really increase its value? Is there a demand for that product in the open market? I could also argue that my one of a kind VGOD Pro 150 is the only one in the world with a zig zag scratch on it signed by Nelson Mandela (see it's one of a kind) is worth more than your meteorite metal, Damascus steel, samurai blood etched dripper, since both are again one of a kind. I suppose if someone really wanted my VGOD, since they're a big Nelson Mandela fan, would find more value in that than the aforementioned dripper.

3. Expensive materials. This is interesting. I mean in a car you have materials like carbon kevlar used which is exotic, expensive but also serves a purpose. My mod has resin impregnated iron wood from 17th century South America beset with actual insects that are now extinct, all topped with the finest blood tanzanite money can buy. But does it really add any function to my mod? I'm not sure as I'll leave that to you to decide.

4. Talked up? Well if I sold snake oil as the best and most flavourful vape juice ever created, that's one thing. But if via my immense marketing budget I was able to convince enough people that this is true, then I would have created a following. Each to their own here. Now imagine I managed to convince enough people that this is the best, period. Now I have an army of fan-boys that I've created. They will also fight for my product till the end of time on Internet forums, and judge anyone that points out that it is in fact just snake oil.

5. Now this rings true with me. Something that was well engineered and thought out. Designed with the best fit and form factor in mind. Where usability is at the fore and it's just a great product in terms of quality. However I spent millions on researching this product, and perfected the technology that went into it. This would be a great product, and it's desirable. However, someone took my design, broke it down and copied it, and released it to the free market at a lower price since they didn't have to foot the immense R&D cost that went into it. Not very fun anymore is it? That being said. What I designed was still based off of what was already there. So in a macro scale is my product really just a perfected clone of existing technology?

The point here is that the HE and LE legions just make something out of nothing. If whatever they purchase fits what the group determines as higher value to them, it will then become HE in their circle. The associated snobbery is what gets me every time though. On one hand you have those who say that my product is superior to yours due to any combination of the above points, and the other side that pleads poverty, cannot recognise the value, or just doesn't identify with the other side, in itself creating reverse snobbery.

In essence, I was mortified to hear that something like a Therion 166 and VGOD Pro 150 doesn't qualify as HE, nor is my Goon 24 or Apocalypse Gen 2. I'm not sure why, but to me it is, so I'll just enjoy my setups and in my mind they'll be the best ever, even if they aren't swathed in Stab Wood and signed off by Carol Shelby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Having caught the last three pages, this seems to be more about instilling a revolution - the apparent LE public getting to the point where they'd like to lead the apparent HE Marie Antoinette-esque snobs to the guillotine. Lol. Can't see much of a discussion between the gear here.

1. The Price?
2. The Rarity?
4. Just talked up by parties that can afford and justify the purchase to themselves?

Talking on each point:

1. I could buy a normal pico and melo 3 combo for R25k - do I now own HE gear? Or am I just a silly sod for falling for that without researching the associated value?

2. Does having something that's one of a kind with a limited production run really increase its value? Is there a demand for that product in the open market? I could also argue that my one of a kind VGOD Pro 150 is the only one in the world with a zig zag scratch on it signed by Nelson Mandela (see it's one of a kind) is worth more than your meteorite metal, Damascus steel, samurai blood etched dripper, since both are again one of a kind. I suppose if someone really wanted my VGOD, since they're a big Nelson Mandela fan, would find more value in that than the aforementioned dripper.

3. Expensive materials. This is interesting. I mean in a car you have materials like carbon kevlar used which is exotic, expensive but also serves a purpose. My mod has resin impregnated iron wood from 17th century South America beset with actual insects that are now extinct, all topped with the finest blood tanzanite money can buy. But does it really add any function to my mod? I'm not sure as I'll leave that to you to decide.

4. Talked up? Well if I sold snake oil as the best and most flavourful vape juice ever created, that's one thing. But if via my immense marketing budget I was able to convince enough people that this is true, then I would have created a following. Each to their own here. Now imagine I managed to convince enough people that this is the best, period. Now I have an army of fan-boys that I've created. They will also fight for my product till the end of time on Internet forums, and judge anyone that points out that it is in fact just snake oil.

5. Now this rings true with me. Something that was well engineered and thought out. Designed with the best fit and form factor in mind. Where usability is at the fore and it's just a great product in terms of quality. However I spent millions on researching this product, and perfected the technology that went into it. This would be a great product, and it's desirable. However, someone took my design, broke it down and copied it, and released it to the free market at a lower price since they didn't have to foot the immense R&D cost that went into it. Not very fun anymore is it? That being said. What I designed was still based off of what was already there. So in a macro scale is my product really just a perfected clone of existing technology?

The point here is that the HE and LE legions just make something out of nothing. If whatever they purchase fits what the group determines as higher value to them, it will then become HE in their circle. The associated snobbery is what gets me every time though. On one hand you have those who say that my product is superior to yours due to any combination of the above points, and the other side that pleads poverty, cannot recognise the value, or just doesn't identify with the other side, in itself creating reverse snobbery.

In essence, I was mortified to hear that something like a Therion 166 and VGOD Pro 150 doesn't qualify as HE, I'm not sure why, but to me it is, so I'll just enjoy my setups and in my mind they'll be the best ever, even if they aren't swathed in Stab Wood and signed off by Carol Shelby.

Thank you @Fuzz, that was very thought provoking.

Last edited:
Nice post @Fuzz! Eloquent and thought out... let me give some of my 2c replies...

Silly Sod!

2. Does having something that's one of a kind with a limited production run really increase its value?

Yes it does. Rarity is sought after by some... does it change functionality? Nope.

Nope it doesn't change functionality in most cases... but again see point number 2.

Oh yes and now we are talking... and I agree 100%. The Hurricane V2 was a perfect example... it was talked up (and I guess it was easy to take in the hype because thier pervious version 1.3 atty was pretty well loved) and was expensive and was one of the kakkest atties I ever bought.

Yes this is where the water gets a little muddy... slight or major changes to an existing design. That's why I really like the Billet Box... it was a revolutionary design and not copied from anything else and it's a bloody marvellous product.

No argument here.

In essence, I was mortified to hear that something like a Therion 166 and VGOD Pro 150 doesn't qualify as HE, nor is my Goon 24 or Apocalypse Gen 2. I'm not sure why, but to me it is, so I'll just enjoy my setups and in my mind they'll be the best ever, even if they aren't swathed in Stab Wood and signed off by Carol Shelby.

There are products that stand out (and are awesome) that are not considered HE because they are made in China. I would agree the Therion is one of those products... the VGod not so much... my VGod was crap... kak button and it whined...

It's the same argument that happens in life and just about every other product grouping... VW vs Merc vs Ferrari... Chinese phones vs iPhone and S7's... Thoroughbred pets with papers vs SPCA specials... Checkers vs Woolies... Taurus firearm vs Glock... and the list goes on... but we should all be happy for each other in this LE vs HE discussion because we are all off stinking cigarettes!

Nice post @Fuzz! Eloquent and thought out... let me give some of my 2c replies...

Silly Sod!

2. Does having something that's one of a kind with a limited production run really increase its value?

Yes it does. Rarity is sought after by some... does it change functionality? Nope.

Nope it doesn't change functionality in most cases... but again see point number 2.

Oh yes and now we are talking... and I agree 100%. The Hurricane V2 was a perfect example... it was talked up (and I guess it was easy to take in the hype because thier pervious version 1.3 atty was pretty well loved) and was expensive and was one of the kakkest atties I ever bought.

Yes this is where the water gets a little muddy... slight or major changes to an existing design. That's why I really like the Billet Box... it was a revolutionary design and not copied from anything else and it's a bloody marvellous product.

No argument here.

There are products that stand out (and are awesome) that are not considered HE because they are made in China. I would agree the Therion is one of those products... the VGod not so much... my VGod was crap... kak button and it whined...

It's the same argument that happens in life and just about every other product grouping... VW vs Merc vs Ferrari... Chinese phones vs iPhone and S7's... Thoroughbred pets with papers vs SPCA specials... Checkers vs Woolies... Taurus firearm vs Glock... and the list goes on... but we should all be happy for each other in this LE vs HE discussion because we are all off stinking cigarettes!
damn @Rob Fisher

Never thought I would see the day that your signature changed :)

poor avril :(

Avril is still with me (and always will be)... she is watching from the display cabinet. :p

PS now you have made me all nostalgic... maybe I should dig from some 9mg Tropical Ice, build a micro coil and fire her up just for old time sake! :oops:

Avril is still with me (and always will be)... she is watching from the display cabinet. :p

PS now you have made me all nostalgic... maybe I should dig from some 9mg Tropical Ice, build a micro coil and fire her up just for old time sake! :oops:
NO NO

you have to test the goon 1.5 on the mech
don't get distracted
FOCUS
u can get nostalgic tomorrow

1. The Price?
2. The Rarity?

Talking on each point:

Nice write up, to be honest, i really dont care what "class" my (or anyones) gear falls into, if it does what i want from it and built with longevity in mind, im happy!

Personaly I wouldn't consider anything that comes out of China a "collectable/rare/HE" (including my favorite atty : Hadaly) simply because that is the opposite of the China business model and simply cant be compared to something crafter by a European jeweler for example, im by no means saying Europe/America ect. Is not capable of producing crap , manufacture outside of china is expensive and runs are limited (due to small scale operation ) , quality should be expected but is not a given.

Regards

Back