Explain Your Forum Name

I thought that I would skip this thread. Surely everyone knows the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" ....Well maybe not. Sometimes I forget my age.

Folk song made famous by "Peter, Paul and Mary". First recorded in 1963. It has been said that the lyrics are known to all Americans.

I took a trip down memory lane and watched Peter,Paul and Mary singing Puff on YouTube. Would it be possible for such a song to reach No.1 on the charts today ? I doubt it !
Ching Chong also made this song famous for eh other reasons......

@Daniel. I remember Cheech & Chong very well. (remember the brown thing in the snow ?).

w.r.t. Puff the Magic Dragon and Puffing the other stuff... The lyric writer (I think Peter of P,P & M)swears blind it has nothing to do with the green stuff. Just a tale about children growing up. :)

Hehe, I decided to keep my forum name and birth name the same for an impulsive group buy.....hehe...

Last edited:
I thought that I would skip this thread. Surely everyone knows the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" ....Well maybe not. Sometimes I forget my age.

Folk song made famous by "Peter, Paul and Mary". First recorded in 1963. It has been said that the lyrics are known to all Americans.

I took a trip down memory lane and watched Peter,Paul and Mary singing Puff on YouTube. Would it be possible for such a song to reach No.1 on the charts today ? I doubt it !

I know the song well! I remember when it was a #1 song! What a Baalie! :p

I've been using Glytch since the 90's when I registered for IRC. It's from the TV Series ReBoot (although I had to use a 'y' because Glitch was already taken on dal net).

I know the song well! I remember when it was a #1 song! What a Baalie! :p

My education is now complete. I am content. :)

Puff, the Magic Dragon
Peter, Paul and Mary
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
in a land called Honnah Lee
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, oh!

Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh!

Puff, the…

@Daniel. I remember Cheech & Chong very well. (remember the brown thing in the snow ?).

w.r.t. Puff the Magic Dragon and Puffing the other stuff... The lyric writer (I think Peter of P,P & M)swears blind it has nothing to do with the green stuff. Just a tale about children growing up. :)

Yip, and the following song is also about being sea-sick, nothing else...

"Sloop John B"

We come on the sloop John B
My grandfather and me
Around Nassau town we did roam
Drinking all night
Got into a fight
Well I feel so broke up
I want to go home

So hoist up the John B's sail
See how the mainsail sets
Call for the Captain ashore
Let me go home, let me go home
I wanna go home, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up
I wanna go home

The first mate he got drunk
And broke in the Cap'n's trunk
The constable had to come and take him away
Sheriff John Stone
Why don't you leave me alone, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up I wanna go home

I wanna go home, let me go home
Why don't you let me go home
(Hoist up the John B's sail)
Hoist up the John B
I feel so broke up I wanna go home
Let me go home

The poor cook he caught the fits
And threw away all my grits
And then he took and he ate up all of my corn
Let me go home
Why don't they let me go home
This is the worst trip I've ever been on

I wanna go home, let me go home
Why don't you let me go home

Last edited:
I should point out that Fleetwood Mac's Rattlesnake Shake isn't really about reptiles.

long ago in a young mind I had to pick a forum name. All the names I picked where taken ( gigantic forum I used to frequent ) so I figured ... my name is gert , I am a descendant of joe , so gertvanjoe it will be ....

Years ago I was tasked with picking a forum name.
I was hoping "Michael" was free, however what came...
The dreaded "username taken"
Telling me t'was versaken
Henceforth @Michaelsa I became

Well, since names needs a uniqueness to it, I didn’t know of a name that starts with a "Z" (Zee) So I used the Z and then just added the Belial , name of the demon that was possessing Emily in “The Exorcism of Emily rose”

my forum name actually has nothing to do with smokes or stompies, its a name that was given to on another forum car club and till today i still dont actually know why it was chosen...LOL

Spyker, well, because I like to.. um no. Actually I chose that nick many years ago after all the other names I could think of was taken. Since then it stuck and even my friends call me Spyker now.

Mine's an old school nickname. We decided to all have nicknames and somehow mine and 1 other guy's are the only ones that stuck. I got mine from some random book we were reading that same day and there was a character named spiv. It sounded close enough to 'Suv' of 'Suvan' (my real name) so we figured... why not.

Incidentally, years later, we discovered that it means: a man, typically a flashy dresser, who makes a living by disreputable dealings.
I'd love to say it's apt, but alas, it couldn't be further from the truth.

Back