Cubis

Just in case you have not yet read the manual - the 1 ohm coil is recommended for TC;). I have only used the 0.5 ohm coil so far, around 15 to 25 W and am much impressed. Almost finished tank 11 and still going strong.

x6rD3uX.jpg

Thanks @Andre I read it but didnt see it, if you know what I mean. :)
So some editing of my previous post necessary.

I
Did you take apart and sunlight hot water soak all the parts? mine had an oil film all over the threads, that will affect taste badly, bigtime.
There can always be some oil left on the threads that only disassembly will clear.

This is the way @DaveH did it and I pretty much followed his example, I also unscrewed the vent pipe from the driptip/mouth piece base
img_2069-jpg.44602

The vape on the 1.5 clapton didnt impress me at all, but seems to be improving. :)
Next up in a day or 2 will be the 1ohm coil.

EDIT 1ohm is for TC so it will be the 0.5 ohm up next, thanks for the headsup @Andre
I used the .5 ohms too, keen to hear you thoughts on it .
I feel like I'm really missing out on something here .. I should love it .. But I just can't .. And I really want to :-(

Yes, it certainly can - I have now done 11 tanks of different juices on the 0.5 ohm coil. From 50/50 right up to Max VG, no problems at all.
Colour me impressed I really didn't expect this tank to handle some max VG juice at all. This tank just gets better and better doesn't it :D
I do comfortable MTL at 25 W with the 0.5 ohm coil, which btw Joyetech recommend you use with normal power, not TC - as you have experienced.
I should have been a bit more cleat when I said this tank isn't for MTL.
I meant the 0.5ohm coil isn't really for MTL. I find for the 1.5ohm Clapton and 1.0ohm SS coils are better suited for MTL with its tighter draw. And the 0.5ohm is better for DTL with its higher airflow.
That said, nothing stopping you from using the 0.5 for MTL if you turn the airflow down ;)

TC is a no go for these coils. I'm interested in seeing how the RBA does TC.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Colour me impressed I really didn't expect this tank to handle some max VG juice at all. This tank just gets better and better doesn't it :D

I should have been a bit more cleat when I said this tank isn't for MTL.
I meant the 0.5ohm coil isn't really for MTL. I find for the 1.5ohm Clapton and 1.0ohm SS coils are better suited for MTL with its tighter draw. And the 0.5ohm is better for DTL with its higher airflow.
That said, nothing stopping you from using the 0.5 for MTL if you turn the airflow down ;)

TC is a no go for these coils. I'm interested in seeing how the RBA does TC.

I am impressed with this tank too (based on my experience with the 0.5 ohm coil unit) and cannot wait for the RBA.

Of course, I am weird as I do MTL on basically anything. But, others in this thread have remarked that the tank is better suited for MTL, even on the 0.5 ohm coil. So, the jury is still out as we wait for others to give their experience.

I am impressed with this tank too (based on my experience with the 0.5 ohm coil unit) and cannot wait for the RBA.

Of course, I am weird as I do MTL on basically anything. But, others in this thread have remarked that the tank is better suited for MTL, even on the 0.5 ohm coil. So, the jury is still out as we wait for others to give their experience.
I have moved over permanently to DTL. MTL feels like I'm vaping nothing lol I tried some MTL pulls on the Cubis and it just had less flavour than DTL hit.

As they say "each unto his own" - and when it comes to this tank it seems this really is the case.

If anything I'd say this a very versatile tank. Able to make MTL and DTL vapers happy :D

Ive now tried all 3 coils and heres my 2c
Im coming from a Bellus closed down to 1 and a bit airholes open, 1.85 ohm coil, with a smaller driptip @ 15W and a Kayfun 3.1, 1ohm coil almost wide open 16W, with a black plastic driptip and not the standard ss pinhole one.
  • With that in mind I couldnt get the 0.5 ohm coil to fit into my present style, it felt like sucking on a 30mm PVC rain gutter while a fog bank rolled in from the coast...maybe sometime in the future. :)
  • The 1.5ohm clapton was a tightish draw, not a whole lot of flavor, prefer the Kayfun.
Then defying convention wisdom and popular opinion, I loaded up the 1ohm TC SS316 coil, and seeing as the tank gets hot quickly, I filled it up with Vapemobs Peach max VG. The heat does seem to thin the thicker liquid fairly quickly and I didnt get any dry hits.
  • With the 1 ohm coil and the airflow 1/4 open it was quite tasty, swopped the standard driptip for the standard straight ss one on the mini Pro tank 3. Plenty vapour pretty decent taste @ 18W and continued up to 24W, slight cotton mouth and backed off to 22W.
  • I got some slight cotton flavour at the higher watts which couldnt have been the skin fuzz burning off the peach, nobodys peach flavor is that accurate, 20-22W seems to be the happy place with that combo of max vg peach and 1 ohm coil.
So, I hopped back onto the Kayfun with its tank full of the last of Legends Monroe. :)
The Cubis might take a while to grow on me, Im also awaiting the RBA coil to try them out, so it wont get sold anytime soon, that said I probably wont buy any more of them at this stage. :)

Some further views.
I've had this tank nearly two weeks used 50ml of juice with 1.5ohm clapton coil strictly MTL @ 12-13 Watts and I really like it. I take it with me in the car and just lay it on the seat next to me, it's not a problem because it just doesn't leak.

I have a second tank which I thought it was time to give it a go with the 0.5ohm coil. I first tried at 22 Watts (I think I may have lost my presence of mind :rolleyes:) and as a MTL that's hot and the little bits of juice burn my tongue, even the mouth piece gets hot and burns my lips (talk about hot lips :p).
To stop this happening I have to open the air flow which (to me) leads to a muted vape and flavour and not a pleasant vape.
So I end up at about 15Watts with the air flow at a minimum still fractionally warm but not overly so, going below 15watts I lose the vapor production.
At the moment I have a cubis running on separate KBOX mini mods the SS316 0.5ohm @ 15Watts and the clapton 1.5ohm @13 Watts and I have say to me anyway there is not much in it, very little difference that I notice.

What I would like to know as a MTL should there be a difference?

Dave

Some further views.
I've had this tank nearly two weeks used 50ml of juice with 1.5ohm clapton coil strictly MTL @ 12-13 Watts and I really like it. I take it with me in the car and just lay it on the seat next to me, it's not a problem because it just doesn't leak.

I have a second tank which I thought it was time to give it a go with the 0.5ohm coil. I first tried at 22 Watts (I think I may have lost my presence of mind :rolleyes:) and as a MTL that's hot and the little bits of juice burn my tongue, even the mouth piece gets hot and burns my lips (talk about hot lips :p).
To stop this happening I have to open the air flow which (to me) leads to a muted vape and flavour and not a pleasant vape.
So I end up at about 15Watts with the air flow at a minimum still fractionally warm but not overly so, going below 15watts I lose the vapor production.
At the moment I have a cubis running on separate KBOX mini mods the SS316 0.5ohm @ 15Watts and the clapton 1.5ohm @13 Watts and I have say to me anyway there is not much in it, very little difference that I notice.

What I would like to know as a MTL should there be a difference?

Dave
At those almost the same power settings, there should not be much of a difference imo. The higher power the 0.5 ohm coils can take should lead to faster vaporization and more vapour at least - if you use it at higher power. Flavour is probably subjective to your experience. Also, I suspect the 0.5 ohm coils was intended by Joyetech for DTL vaping - as some on here have experienced. Others, even on the 0.5 ohm coil, disagree and say it is better for MTL. Time will tell. Not much was reported so far on the 1.0 ohm coil, recommended for TC vaping by Joyetech. @ChadB be did say he preferred it to the Clapton coil, using TC and doing MTL.

I have been using the 0.5 ohm coil exclusively so far. Vaping, MTL only, between 15 and 28 W, depending on the juice. Using the clear Delrin drip tip. For me it has not been hot at all, but I suppose what is hot and what is not hot is experienced differently from person to person. Flavour for me was very accurate - been vaping juices I know well and have vaped on many different devices. The once a tank spitting I have solved by using the technique you and others suggested in this thread. I did take a few toots of the 1.5 ohm Clapton coil when I gave it to HRH to test. Flavour for me was fine on that one too and, like @blujeenz, found that a minimum of around 12 W was required for a good vape.

Conclusions so far for me:
  1. The Cubis tank concept is brilliant and it works well. I see other tank makers using this configuration. Like with drippers where top airflow has become much more popular.
  2. If you are a MTL vaper, at least one of the coil units will be for you.
  3. Some say the 0.5 ohm coils is predominantly for DTL, some say only for MTL, some say it is fine for both DTL and MTL. Be aware of this if you consider getting a Cubis. The RBA coil head, which should be available locally very soon, might be what hardened DTL and higher power vapers have been waiting for, but should also work perfectly for us MTL vapers.

Thanks to all for all the informative discussion on this Cubis tank

I am starting to develop FOMO

@Andre, if you can:
How's the flavour compared to the RM2 ?
Do you think this tank suits particular flavour families or do you think its an allrounder?

Thanks to all for all the informative discussion on this Cubis tank

I am starting to develop FOMO

@Andre, if you can:
How's the flavour compared to the RM2 ?
Do you think this tank suits particular flavour families or do you think its an allrounder?
I have been using it on fruity, minty/menthol and dessert juices. Only on the 0.5 ohm SS coil in normal power mode. Between 15 and 28 W, depending on the juice. All the flavours (12 different juices so far) have been really accurate - up there with the RM2 for me. From 50/50 to max VG. Next I shall try a coffee (C de la C). Shall wait for the RBA for the tobaccos.

I have been using it on fruity, minty/menthol and dessert juices. Only on the 0.5 ohm SS coil in normal power mode. Between 15 and 28 W, depending on the juice. All the flavours (12 different juices so far) have been really accurate - up there with the RM2 for me. From 50/50 to max VG. Next I shall try a coffee (C de la C). Shall wait for the RBA for the tobaccos.

Music to my ears
Thank you kindly
I need a Cubis!

I've had this tank for a few days. I honestly can't decide if I prefer the 1.5 ohm Clapton coil or the 0.5 ohm SS coil.

Thought I'd add that one can definitely do direct to lung with the 0.5 ohm, but can also be restricted to MTL.

I've had this tank for a few days. I honestly can't decide if I prefer the 1.5 ohm Clapton coil or the 0.5 ohm SS coil.

Thought I'd add that one can definitely do direct to lung with the 0.5 ohm, but can also be restricted to MTL.
Thanks for adding your experience to this body of knowledge. I found the same with the 0.5 ohm coil re MTL and DTL. Have yet to try the Claptons.

After spending some time with the 1.5 the 1 and 0.5 ohm coils, I prefer the 1.5 clapton, I think the juice holes on the 1ohm are a bit restrictive leading to a cotton taste on chained hits, the 0.5 coil and I cant seem to get along, even with the airflow turned down ala mtl mode.

The Cubis has a sharp edge on the bottom of the outer SS glass cover which can gouge a circle on the top of your mod.
I sanded mine down with some 1000grit wet/dry paper, but I also tighten till just snug, no more.
The gouging is not as bad as a Goblin mini, but needs to be watched all the same.
On my iJoy Solo mini with is generous sized ss 510 spring loaded connector, the Cubis is a lot looser when screwing in than my other tanks, Bellus and Kayfun, but once seated, no play is evident on any of them.
The 1ohm coil was also the only one to give problems on my Solo mini, initially set at 22.2W, change to TC mode and 295deg is too hot resulting in a cotton taste. Dropping the temp down to 275deg is better but 2 quick chained hits reveals the coton flavour again, immediately changing over to taste control mode on the Solo results in a flasing raindrop and power is cut, leading me to speculate that the juice slots on the bottom need enlarging.
Tried a similar experiment on the 1.5 clapton with the airflow wide open, 4 chained hits were fine and the flavour was still good. (no flashing raindrop)
The Cubis with the clapton head seems very similar to the Kayfun 3.1 regards flavour and juice usage and I alternate between the 2 tanks.

Get your Cubis RBA head from LungCandy! I got my hands on one on the way home from work! :D

PS. Started vaping on the 0.5SS coil and I am loving the clouds and flavour! Easier pull than my UWell Crown on 35W and flavour seems better on the cubis for me but then again it may be cause it's different juice.

Get your Cubis RBA head from LungCandy! I got my hands on one on the way home from work! :D

PS. Started vaping on the 0.5SS coil and I am loving the clouds and flavour! Easier pull than my UWell Crown on 35W and flavour seems better on the cubis for me but then again it may be cause it's different juice.
Links bra plz links :D

Great stuff. Cubis gives me great flavour and clouds for the power (between 15 and 25W) on the 0.5 ohm stock coil. Good to hear the RBA head is doing the job for you. Hope to get mine tomorrow.

Great stuff. Cubis gives me great flavour and clouds for the power (between 15 and 25W) on the 0.5 ohm stock coil. Good to hear the RBA head is doing the job for you. Hope to get mine tomorrow.

Haha..I meant I was still on the stock coil..i need to try out all the coils to find my perfect resistance but seems like I keep loving the .5ohm stock coils for both my cubis and crown! :-D But once I get through the stock ones, it's Kanthal RBA's (Need to finish an entire spool!) and then SS RBA's! Can't wait to use it!:rock:

Got my 2 Cubis RBA heads from LungCandy.

MIHXdzP.jpg

They come with a vertical 0.5 ohm coil installed and wicked. First order of business was to take one apart to see how it looks like. Wanted to start off building a vertical coil. Some info on their vertical coil:
  • Measured it at 24 g
  • Looks like SS
  • 3 mm ID
  • 6 wraps
  • Strip of Japanese cotton with one outer removed. 10 mm x 50 mm.
My attempt at the coil using 24 g Kanthal. Came out at 0.56 ohms.

JcNh3VG.jpg

That little screw to fasten the negative coil tail has a tiny head. The included blue screwdriver does not cut it. Needs a very fine screwdriver. I see many screw heads stripped.

JOdgzLP.jpg
f0AeeFh.jpg
VW0BOn0.jpg

What an epic fail. First up the resistance jumped to almost zero. Fiddled with it a bit. Got it working. The vape was horrible. Gurgling and juice in the mouth (25 - 30 W). The tank got extremely hot and I had to be very careful to not let my lips touch the metal below the delrin drip tip.

Pulled it out and screwed on the other RBA with the pre-built and pre-wicked vertical coil. Much, much better. Still not as good as the 0.5 ohm commercial coil is my initial impression, but there is hope for me yet. Need to experiment much more to get it right.

One problem with this RBA is that one cannot pulse the coil. A solution I picked up on ECF is that one can use the eGrip RBA 510 adapter for this purpose. These are available here and here for R80.00.

So i used the 1ohm stock coil yesterday and i kept getting dry hits on 30w vw..and i packed it up and went back to .5ohms. Still have to try the clapton and if it doesnt work for me then i have 2 stock coils to give away at the vapemeet..>.<

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

So i used the 1ohm stock coil yesterday and i kept getting dry hits on 30w vw..and i packed it up and went back to .5ohms. Still have to try the clapton and if it doesnt work for me then i have 2 stock coils to give away at the vapemeet..>.<

max suggested power on the 1ohm was 25W, the clapton is 8~20W.

I think 30w is to much for any 1ohm coil. I doubt if most 1ohm coils can handle anything above 20w

Back