Out And About With Your Reo!

@Spydro, a glorious morning photo from my balcony.
20170331_081406.jpg

One of the joys of living so close to nature...
20170321_182803.jpg 20161117_172518.jpg 20161117_172153.jpg

@Christos why don't you ever sleep?! :-D

Sleep is grossly over rated.

Sauron never sleeps :D

Spydro almost never sleeps either. But that's typical of us Sindoyens.
devil.gif

devil.gif
If I want to get over 3 hours continuous sleep I either have to drink or exercise excessively and that's also more of a guideline than a rule.

devil.gif
What is a Sindoyen? I tried to Google it and I just get links to your posts on here! :-D

Aaah ........ common house button spider (Latrodectus geometricus) and the rain spider (Palystes superciliosus).
Both frequent visitors at my home as well. The rain spider however is always welcome since he loves mosquitoes and is non-toxic but the button spider is another cup of tea. :)

Aaah ........ common house button spider (Latrodectus geometricus) and the rain spider (Palystes superciliosus).
Both frequent visitors at my home as well. The rain spider however is always welcome since he loves mosquitoes and is non-toxic but the button spider is another cup of tea. :)
The rain spiders get let out peacefully where the button spiders get the sole of the shoe!

Unfortunately with a little child around I have to kill the button spiders as they pose a threat.
Just a short while ago I was letting a bat that found his way inside out peacefully :D

Love nature but that is what I also do. Only problem I have with rain spiders is that their favourite meal are geckos which I like a lot.
You can come stock up on the gecko's here :D They are everywhere.
The gecko's give me a shock often as you don't expect them to be hanging around under your laptop when getting ready to go to the office!

@Spydro, a glorious morning photo from my balcony.
View attachment 90026

View attachment 90027 View attachment 90028 View attachment 90029

I no longer live on the edge of the city where my son called my ranch house Wild Kingdom for reason. But I do live in the inner city ranch area, and still share my bungalow/outdoor space with some of the same species. Of the 4 pit vipers the Mojave Green is the most aggressive, and with it's Type A venom the most dangerous snake in the US. Bark scorpions are the only species that can kill a small child or old person in the US, and every spring to fall I get dozens of them inside my bungalow that prowl around in the dark. Since I never wear shoes indoors I often step on them, occasionally brush them off walls with a bare shoulder, or have one scurry across my body when sitting/lying idle in the dark sometimes. So far none have nailed me before I grabbed them and squashed them with my fingers. I also get my share of Black Widows and Brown Recluse spiders that live in my bungalow with me, and a few tarantulas as well outside, but they are not a threat if you know how to handle them. Now and then a stray coyote or bobcat visits here as well (a couple of coyote packs and a big male bobcat were year-round residents at my ranch house though... and I had stray coyote packs attack me twice while living there, but knew how to handle them). I don't rate any of them as a major concern. I assume just like there in SA with far more dangerous species overall than in the US, when they are critters that you have lived around all your life you respect them, but if you know them well you have no fear of them.

The many years I lived in the Rockies close encounters with much bigger dangerous species was pretty common because I spent so much time out in the wilderness. Bison, Moose, Elk and in my face encounters with Grizzly's dozens of times (but the black bears were never a concern). Even had a cougar get nasty with me once that I punched in the nose and sent packing. But I had also lived around them half my life, knew they ways, their triggers and so knew how to diffuse the encounters. Now that area is overran with wolf packs again thanks to GOV reintroduction that has increased the numbers so significantly that it has made them one of the top two most dangerous animals in that area (along with the bison).

I no longer live on the edge of the city where my son called my ranch house Wild Kingdom for reason. But I do live in the inner city ranch area, and still share my bungalow/outdoor space with some of the same species. Of the 4 pit vipers the Mojave Green is the most aggressive, and with it's Type A venom the most dangerous snake in the US. Bark scorpions are the only species that can kill a small child or old person in the US, and every spring to fall I get dozens of them inside my bungalow that prowl around in the dark. Since I never wear shoes indoors I often step on them, occasionally brush them off walls with a bare shoulder, or have one scurry across my body when sitting/lying idle in the dark sometimes. So far none have nailed me before I grabbed them and squashed them with my fingers. I also get my share of Black Widows and Brown Recluse spiders that live in my bungalow with me, and a few tarantulas as well outside, but they are not a threat if you know how to handle them. Now and then a stray coyote or bobcat visits here as well (a couple of coyote packs and a big male bobcat were year-round residents at my ranch house though... and I had stray coyote packs attack me twice while living there, but knew how to handle them). I don't rate any of them as a major concern. I assume just like there in SA with far more dangerous species overall than in the US, when they are critters that you have lived around all your life you respect them, but if you know them well you have no fear of them.

The many years I lived in the Rockies close encounters with much bigger dangerous species was pretty common because I spent so much time out in the wilderness. Bison, Moose, Elk and in my face encounters with Grizzly's dozens of times (but the black bears were never a concern). Even had a cougar get nasty with me once that I punched in the nose and sent packing. But I had also lived around them half my life, knew they ways, their triggers and so knew how to diffuse the encounters. Now that area is overran with wolf packs again thanks to GOV reintroduction that has increased the numbers so significantly that it has made them one of the top two most dangerous animals in that area (along with the bison).
I have scorpions coming out of the bathtub drain holes occasionally and I have found one under the bed.

I dont know what type of scorpions they are but they do not seem to be the dangerous kind. Also I have not come across an adult scorpion yet :D perhaps these juveniles ventured to far out from the beaten path.
20170215_203600.jpg 20161121_104321.jpg

Snakes - I run a generator at least once a month hoping the vibrations keep them out.

The wild animals seem to keep to themselves but the only ones that bother me frequently are the porcupine that eat my shrubs and set of my alarm sensors between 2am and 4am in the summer.

I have scorpions coming out of the bathtub drain holes occasionally and I have found one under the bed.

I dont know what type of scorpions they are but they do not seem to be the dangerous kind. Also I have not come across an adult scorpion yet :D perhaps these juveniles ventured to far out from the beaten path.
View attachment 90056 View attachment 90057

Snakes - I run a generator at least once a month hoping the vibrations keep them out.

The wild animals seem to keep to themselves but the only ones that bother me frequently are the porcupine that eat my shrubs and set of my alarm sensors between 2am and 4am in the summer.

Probably Uroplectes sp. those are the adults ; )

View attachment 90056 View attachment 90057

We have around 2 dozen species of scorpions in Nevada. I have been stung endless times by some of the other species with no ill effects... more like bee stings to me which also don't bother me.

I sometimes find a bunch of juvenile bark scorpions together that are only about 1/2" long with the "tail" laid out flat behind them. But most of these found in my place are a bit smaller than full grown. Matters not the size though, even babies have potent venom.

Bark Scorpions...
barkers.jpg

We have around 2 dozen species of scorpions in Nevada. I have been stung endless times by some of the other species with no ill effects... more like bee stings to me which also don't bother me.

I sometimes find a bunch of juvenile bark scorpions together that are only about 1/2" long with the "tail" laid out flat behind them. But most of these found in my place are a bit smaller than full grown. Matters not the size though, even babies have potent venom.

Bark Scorpions...
View attachment 90072

Love me some bark scorpions, was offered four of them a few years back but didn't really have room, and luckily I didn't because the selller was later busted for dealing in local invertebrates.

I had a permit to keep and breed these, so long as I didn't sell them:
(not my pic) Parabuthus Transvaalicus

6422581161_47f3f86840_b.jpg

Unfortunately with all the load shedding my heating was out of whack during winter and a bunch died, I was just too heart broken to start over, and gave the survivors to a friend who studies them.

Back