Calling all DIY'ers

Thank you! Nice work there @Soutie - I just need some FW White Grape and I can give this a whirl too.
I might try mix up the SRipe with CAP Sweet Strawberry or TFA Strawberry if I find the Strawberry too weak :)

It could work, I was just getting the sweetness from the ripe.... man I wish I could taste it properly so I could understand the hype around it

Thanks will give it a shot, sounds delicious. But will have to order FA Kiwi and Peach first...

Quite keen on finding a good grape mix.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm in love with FA White peach. Peaches have a bad habit of ripping a persons throats up, this isn't nearly as harsh as the rest and man it's yummy.

Im thinking of trying FA Concord grape in this too, at around 1,5% for another, darker grape layer. I'll give it a bash and keep you posted

It could work, I was just getting the sweetness from the ripe.... man I wish I could taste it properly so I could understand the hype around it

I'm in love with FA White peach. Peaches have a bad habit of ripping a persons throats up, this isn't nearly as harsh as the rest and man it's yummy.

Im thinking of trying FA Concord grape in this too, at around 1,5% for another, darker grape layer. I'll give it a bash and keep you posted

Personally I prefer to use SRipe in combination with other Strawberry flavours. On it's own mixed with some VBIC it's great but fades faster than a Heavy Weight Boxer in Round 10...

Im thinking of trying FA Concord grape in this too, at around 1,5% for another, darker grape layer.

Do the FA grapes work for you? I've held off on them, mainly due to HIC's observation that the White gets perfumey at 2% and the Concord dominates at 2% and stands out even at <1%.

Grape flavours are, for me, a bit like cherry. It feels like something one should have and then you ask yourself what you'd use it in and I can't think much beyond a sweetener/accent in a fruit juice blend. I note that in all of HIC's recipes (at least, the ones that I have) he uses Cherry twice, and Black Cherry/White Grape/Concord once each. Is it worth getting any of them?

Do the FA grapes work for you? I've held off on them, mainly due to HIC's observation that the White gets perfumey at 2% and the Concord dominates at 2% and stands out even at <1%.

Grape flavours are, for me, a bit like cherry. It feels like something one should have and then you ask yourself what you'd use it in and I can't think much beyond a sweetener/accent in a fruit juice blend. I note that in all of HIC's recipes (at least, the ones that I have) he uses Cherry twice, and Black Cherry/White Grape/Concord once each. Is it worth getting any of them?

The white grape I have been playing with is FW, I tested it at 5% and didn't find it perfume at all, it is rather sweet but you expect that from a white grape. I haven't tried the FA version but I could imagine it would be much stronger. I actually was looking for the FA when I go at this but Blckvapour didn't have FA white grape. I'm not sorry I got the FW though.

The grape concord I was worried about after reading HIC's notes but bought it anyway and it is quite nice. Tried at around 2% standalone and it is rather strong but there are uses for it. Only had it just over two weeks and haven't played enough with it yet to make a definitive call but I'm liking it so far.

I guess if you are going to be following recipes most of the time then you won't really be using them all that much but I got them to play with and I think they are great, either for their inherent sweetness or as a base for fruit recipes much in the same way you would use watermelon. It tends to tie the fruits together nicely without overpowering them making the fruit mix seem slightly less disjointed. I can actually see white grape play well with pretty much any fruit in the right amounts.

@RichJB
Fa Grape candy and FlavourtArt White grape (goes well with white peach) are very nice.
Use them in two great recipes : Grape bubblegum and Tropical fruit.
Still working on a grape float. :)
I very much like this Purple Cow (Grape float) by HIC.

83df6075b78296a8c5207f7d26fb2dcf.jpg

Got up to some long awaited mixing this weekend, now the dreaded steep...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Quite an array!

I am Manuel ;)

@Andre my post was edited (almost 2 weeks later) because I was "discussing my products" :nono:

Sorry, I'm not able to divulge that information as it conflicts with my business.

Cleese is classic!

A bit off topic here, has anyone tried to extract their own flavouring into PG? I'm tempted to try something like a Bos iced tea which is a rooibos tea, I haven't seen any rooibos concentrates, just the usual TFA Sweet tea and the likes.

So out of curiosity I'm considering heating up some PG, dunking 2-3 tea bags in the heated PG to extract, then use it in a recipe. Will this be safe to vape?

Like making a cup of tea, with PG:D:D

A bit off topic here, has anyone tried to extract their own flavouring into PG? I'm tempted to try something like a Bos iced tea which is a rooibos tea, I haven't seen any rooibos concentrates, just the usual TFA Sweet tea and the likes.

So out of curiosity I'm considering heating up some PG, dunking 2-3 tea bags in the heated PG to extract, then use it in a recipe. Will this be safe to vape?

@Cespian shed some light please my mentor

Not something I have tried but there is an article on reddit regarding this. they don't cover tea specifically but they do talk about tobacco and i would imagine the process would be the same.

Alot more research would need to be done into exactly how safe the extract would be.

Not something I have tried but there is an article on reddit regarding this. they don't cover tea specifically but they do talk about tobacco and i would imagine the process would be the same.

Alot more research would need to be done into exactly how safe the extract would be.

Awesome, I'll read that in just a sec.

Its just for interests sake, but still safety first, hence I posted this here to see what others thought.

@Cespian shed some light please my mentor

Howsit boet!

I have successfully extracted Tobacco, Cardimom and Cloves, by soaking in PG and filtering with a cheesecloth. Tea sounds like it could be a similar concept but I would need to do some research first before trying. Remind me tonight if you dont mind ;)

I went the whole hog with Carmien's Rooibos Chai Tea, 4 tea bags into distilled water, steeped and then popped in 20ml PG and let that mix sit awhile.
Then left the whole batch in the sun for all the water to evaporate, helped with a black metal plate under the purity jar container and glass hot box.
The main problem is working out how much of the final PG Chai mix to add to VG.

While the majority of the suspended PG Chai solids will be left on the coil and cotton wick, some will be transported in the aerosol to your lung tissue... even though there isnt much tannic acid in rooibos to harm the lung tissue, what about the nutmeg ginger allspice and other unknowns?

Basically, ya steeps ya PG and takes ya chances.

Howsit boet!

I have successfully extracted Tobacco, Cardimom and Cloves, by soaking in PG and filtering with a cheesecloth. Tea sounds like it could be a similar concept but I would need to do some research first before trying. Remind me tonight if you dont mind ;)
Definitely I'll WhatsApp you later on

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

So I tried swapping this up, I removed the Strawberry and replaced it with 2% Grape concord rather. IT totally dominates the peach and takes over the recipe. Don't get me wrong it is a rather nice Grape vape (Been vaping it all morning) but i have lost all the peach and the Kiwi and pretty much only get the two grapes which is not what i was aiming for.

You were spot on @RichJB, that Grape Concord is over powering at 2%, Delicious but overpowering.

For the guys who are struggling with mixing small testers, Wayne had a suggestion on his show last night: use some whipped cream and add a couple of drops to that.

This is a pretty outlandish idea, please share the results of your experiment with us. I'd love to find a new way of testing flavours.

OK, I got a can of Clover Whipped Cream today and tried this. I thought it would totally not work and that I would suck as usual. But it's actually pretty darned good.

I tested FA Cinnamon Ceylon and FA Banana just to test run. I shook up the can of cream, took a wide-brimmed coffee mug and tilted it to one side, then squirted big blob of cream into the bottom. I then added precisely two drops of the Cinnamon, sort of swished the flavour drops and cream together with a spoon, and then put the entire large blob in my mouth. This was the hard bit because you have to do it like the pros. I was determined to be at least half as good as the oke in @method1's video. I didn't have the white coat but I got the rest perfectly. So it's:

Move it around in your mouth to coat the whole inside of your mouth
Nom nom nom
Cinnamon
Inhale mouth, exhale nose
Bakery-type cinnamon powder
Nom nom nom
Inhale nose, exhale mouth
Authentic
Nom nom nom
Not sweet
Move one side of mouth to the other, inhale, exhale
Earthy, strong feeling in throat
Nom nom nom
That's a 9!

I thought the sweet cream flavour would block out the concentrate flavour but it doesn't. You get good strong concentrate flavour coming through. For the Banana, I didn't even bother mixing the flavour and cream. I just dropped two drops into the cream and then put the whole lot in my mouth. I could taste the banana right away and didn't get 'hot spots' in it. I could tell straight away that it wasn't "yellow foam sweets" banana but also not entirely authentic somehow. It tasted quite ripe to me, others feel it's too green. But it was overall quite realistic and pleasant for me. That's an 8!

Next time, I will just swoosh the cream into a large egg cup, that is plenty big enough and makes it easy to scoop out. I think it gives a good flavour representation. The caveat is that this is my cardboard palate so your mileage may vary. But I will certainly use this testing method again. The chicken dinner is that I now have a very good idea of what FA Cinnamon and Banana offer, I haven't had to mix up anything, and I don't need to vape a plain Banana or Cinnamon flavour for two days to use it up. I have used exactly two drops of the concentrate.

NotCharlesManson advocates using fresh cream and whipping it yourself. That will maybe be good if you're testing 20 flavours in one go. But for just two, as I did, it's a waste. So I'll just use the can, which is R60 and probably enough for around thirty flavours. Yes, the added preservatives and flavourings and whatnot will freak out NotCharlesManson's palate. But not mine. I will definitely be doing these tests from now on.

Howsit boet!

I've done tobacco, tea, vanilla and some spices. Guessing the steep time is the problem. Leave vanilla to long and it gets very bitter.
Get yourself some low micron lab filters, those little white circular ones to minimise the particles.
Just a warning it takes an age for pg to drain through those rhings but better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On Monday 31 October, I finally took the leap. Bought all the liquids, PG, VG, nicotine, 34 concentrates and 5 additives. All TFA and DX. As someone said on this thread, "Welcome to the Rabbit hole". Thats no lie. I am so into DIY now, been mixing for the past four evenings. The variety of recipes is truly mind boggling, but I am trying to keep things simple. I have mixed 12 -- 30ml bottles, using recipes I have found on this thread and other places on the web. It takes a long time, as being new to the game, I find I have to concentrate deeply so as not to make a mess up. I have already cocked up one mix totally. I am a bit OCD so I am keeping careful notes of my recipes, on the e-liquid-recipes dot com website, in a book and on my i Phone, just to make sure I never loose my many notes.

I like the new dimension of control I now have with vaping, being able to decide what I want to vape, at what nicotine strength and VG/PG ratio's. DIY is both challenging and lots of fun at the same time. I can see where this DIY thing is going. It will probably become more addictive that nicotine itself in the endless pursuit to find that perfect mix.

Now to find a decent scale, as using syringes really sucks! I have looked at gun shops, Dischem and I cannot just find one in a shop.

I will be following this thread continuously...

On Monday 31 October, I finally took the leap. Bought all the liquids, PG, VG, nicotine, 34 concentrates and 5 additives. All TFA and DX. As someone said on this thread, "Welcome to the Rabbit hole". Thats no lie. I am so into DIY now, been mixing for the past four evenings. The variety of recipes is truly mind boggling, but I am trying to keep things simple. I have mixed 12 -- 30ml bottles, using recipes I have found on this thread and other places on the web. It takes a long time, as being new to the game, I find I have to concentrate deeply so as not to make a mess up. I have already cocked up one mix totally. I am a bit OCD so I am keeping careful notes of my recipes, on the e-liquid-recipes dot com website, in a book and on my i Phone, just to make sure I never loose my many notes.

I like the new dimension of control I now have with vaping, being able to decide what I want to vape, at what nicotine strength and VG/PG ratio's. DIY is both challenging and lots of fun at the same time. I can see where this DIY thing is going. It will probably become more addictive that nicotine itself in the endless pursuit to find that perfect mix.

Now to find a decent scale, as using syringes really sucks! I have looked at gun shops, Dischem and I cannot just find one in a shop.

I will be following this thread continuously...

Check the China Mall out @Waine I'm sure you will find something there. Just make sure it can do 2 decimal places and you will be fine.
If you consider online Blckvapour has a R140 scale and a R250 scale.

@Waine Blckvapor has the cheapest scale in SA. And it works well enough, I've heard.

In the meantime save yourself the PT and just count drops. Granted it's not 100% accurate but the difference is like 0,1% and nothing you can notice. Working on about 35 drops = 1ml you'll get good results with way less effort.

20 drops of water makes 1 ml but that said some of the flavours loose cohesian and drop at a smaller volume than water so with some flavour bottles 30 to 35 drops could well make 1 ml. Imo the margins are too loose so using an insylin syringe that measures 1 ml for the whole syringe is very accurate for the smaller quantities. Simply clean the needle for the next flavour. I use a 3 ml syringe for the bigger quantities.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone

I have been making my own vape juice for a while now and someone asked me if id be interested in selling it....
All I want to know is if I want to go forward and sell my vape juice , what do I need to make it legit??

Back