Ceramic coils and compatible tanks

And now I'm fighting with a brand new coil and not winning... will leave it over night and see how we go in the AM. These coils are not all created equal... some are a piece of cake to prime and others are a real toil! :-@

But it's worth it in the end...

And now I'm fighting with a brand new coil and not winning... will leave it over night and see how we go in the AM. These coils are not all created equal... some are a piece of cake to prime and others are a real toil! :-@

I actually gave the nickel one a go and found it at 27w and 560 F a very pleasant xxx vape. No dry hits at all so far as (hopefully) expected with TC. Kanthal still has the edge though just that priming...eish

Last edited:

Was that one of the McGuyvered coils or unmodified?

From what I've gathered reading up about these coils is that what sometimes happens is that a bubble gets trapped somewhere in the sheathe (the outer casing with those hexes).

Was that one of the McGuyvered coils or unmodified?

From what I've gathered reading up about these coils is that what sometimes happens is that a bubble gets trapped somewhere in the sheathe (the outer casing with those hexes).

It started out as a normal coil and gave me crap... then I McGyvered it and it hasn't helped... it's a stubborn one but so was the one that lasted 75+ refills in the beginning... will see how it is in the morning... if it still fights with me I'll throw it in the gorge and try another one. :confused:

Never say never. :facepalm:

The guy who has had no interest at all in regulated box mods, has said he never would has succumbed to this thread and it's chief enabler.

Must try these coils, I must. So a Snow Wolf Mini, Target 2 Tanks and extra CCell's will be arriving here Friday and Monday. I normally do 100% VG liquids in all my sub ohm mech's. So I will DIY some 50/50, 60/40 low nic liquids and fast age them to be ready to start playing too this weekend following a lot of the information and fixes read here and on the side. :)

Never say never. :facepalm:

The guy who has had no interest at all in regulated box mods, has said he never would has succumbed to this thread and it's chief enabler.

Must try these coils, I must. So a Snow Wolf Mini, Target 2 Tanks and extra CCell's will be arriving here Friday and Monday. I normally do 100% VG liquids in all my sub ohm mech's. So I will DIY some 50/50, 60/40 low nic liquids and fast age them to be ready to start playing too this weekend following a lot of the information and fixes read here and on the side. :)

And I may now consider a Lukkos! :D Never say Never! :D

It started out as a normal coil and gave me crap... then I McGyvered it and it hasn't helped... it's a stubborn one but so was the one that lasted 75+ refills in the beginning... will see how it is in the morning... if it still fights with me I'll throw it in the gorge and try another one. :confused:

This pic is from another international forum, not sure of I'm allowed to link, but basically go extreme!

To be fair he had wicking issues with using these in the Atlantis because the bottom hexes were covered :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 43
And I may now consider a Lukkos! :D Never say Never! :D

They're "puzzling", I like their looks.

I came close to having a custom regulated Gepetto, and unregulated a couple of Caducues and four VRM's custom made for me (and 2 Woodvil's from my 5A exhibition grade woods). Just as well I didn't even though I am a fine woods guy. I have 9 Woodvil's, don't use most of them much. Even the 4 2015's running Nuppin's that I liked so much are taking a back seat to the 4 P-67's now and maybe always will. Calamity Jane (18490 Woodie) is used at least some every day though. But then she runs my favorite Latakia NET.

There is no question that the Target Tank Ceramic coils are not all created equal. After changing the coil that has been with me since I got Target Tanks (well in fact it was the second coil because I also fought with the first coil) I put a brand new coil in my XXX Tank and was looking forward to getting that perfect vape again... I did the priming thing yesterday and the flavour was great for the first few puffs and then the dry hit... so I took the coil out and did the McGyver thing and that didn't help... so I left it all night and this morning I thought we should be good to go... but same problem.

Looks fine on the surface?
CCoil 001.JPG

So I gave up on this R80 coil and took it apart...not easy and the ceramic crumbles and it's impossible to get it out in one piece. My gut feeling is that the cotton around the ceramic was packed too tight and the juice wasn't getting to the ceramic... but this is just a theory... I now have a new coil priming.
CCoil 003.JPG

There is no question that the Target Tank Ceramic coils are not all created equal. After changing the coil that has been with me since I got Target Tanks (well in fact it was the second coil because I also fought with the first coil) I put a brand new coil in my XXX Tank and was looking forward to getting that perfect vape again... I did the priming thing yesterday and the flavour was great for the first few puffs and then the dry hit... so I took the coil out and did the McGyver thing and that didn't help... so I left it all night and this morning I thought we should be good to go... but same problem.

Looks fine on the surface?
View attachment 48969

So I gave up on this R80 coil and took it apart...not easy and the ceramic crumbles and it's impossible to get it out in one piece. My gut feeling is that the cotton around the ceramic was packed too tight and the juice wasn't getting to the ceramic... but this is just a theory... I now have a new coil priming.
View attachment 48970
Would love to see what the coil that went through 37 tanks looks like once its been retired.

Would love to see what the coil that went through 37 tanks looks like once its been retired.

It would look similar apart from the fact that the ceramic is pitch black. I have kept it aside for posterity... I may take it apart at some time but need to see if I can cut it with a precision band saw or similar.

Annoying that they are not all equal , so far i have had a lucky 2. Let's hope they stabilise on their manufacturing of these.

Full marks for persevering @Rob Fisher
Hope your next coil is a good one

My first coil gave me the intermittent slightly burnt taste
My second coil I primed like a champ and left it overnight - and its rocking nicely.
Doubt I will get 75 tanks on it but am on about tank 8 and all is still good.

It would look similar apart from the fact that the ceramic is pitch black. I have kept it aside for posterity... I may take it apart at some time but need to see if I can cut it with a precision band saw or similar.

Here comes trouble,wheres that precision bandsaw:)

Oh my God these ceramic coils are so damn frustrating... after taking out my 75+ tank refill coil I have tried two new coils and neither of them are working properly... I have a 3rd one soaking in the syringe. Thank the Pope I have two that are as close to a perfect vape as I have ever had... The one on the Minikin is perfect and the one on the Snow Wolf is sucky attempt number 2.
CCermaic 001.JPG

Oh my God these ceramic coils are so damn frustrating... after taking out my 75+ tank refill coil I have tried two new coils and neither of them are working properly... I have a 3rd one soaking in the syringe. Thank the Pope I have two that are as close to a perfect vape as I have ever had... The one on the Minikin is perfect and the one on the Snow Wolf is sucky attempt number 2.
View attachment 49002

Not the kind of new news I was hoping for at all. FWIW, I have noticed "some" vendors selling these coils on this side of the world are using the word "fresh" in their ads. Maybe that is suggesting a newer run of them on hand now?

Will take my place in this horror story by starting down the path with them by tonight I guess. I got an updated shipping notice that the two 5X CCell packets, one Target 2 Tank and the Snow Wolf will be delivered today, the second Target tomorrow.

Not the kind of new news I was hoping for at all. FWIW, I have noticed "some" vendors selling these coils on this side of the world are using the word "fresh" in their ads. Maybe that is suggesting a newer run of them on hand now?

Will take my place in this horror story by starting down the path with them by tonight I guess. I got an updated shipping notice that the two 5X CCell packets, one Target 2 Tank and the Snow Wolf will be delivered today, the second Target tomorrow.

Sorry @Spydro I know it's not what you wanted to hear but when you get a perfect coil you are in heaven... I was lucky in that my 2nd and 3rd coil was perfect and that's what got me so excited. Coil 4,5 and 6 has been awful and very frustrating.

Am I sorry I bought 4 Target Tanks? No not at all because I will find 4 decent coils and life will be just grand.

Very interesting about the "fresh" story... gonna go search that now!... I love lights at the end of tunnels!

@Spydro please let me know which vendors are advertising "fresh" coils... I want and need some. VaporDNA doesn't say fresh.

I'd have to go try to find them again... I didn't bookmark any of them because I had already ordered enough extra coils to last me for hundreds of tanks full of juice. ;)

No sorry needed, beyond your control (and there's obviously).

@Rob Fisher , @Spydro, @Kaizer (and any other cCell users) do all your coils have red grommets at the bottom (not the o-ring but the grommet underneath)? I saw my stock one which came with the tank (which started giving dry hits today :( ) had a white grommet, the new one I popped in which I am busy priming had a red grommet like yours above. Not sure if it makes a difference or indicates different batches?

The TC one that i got with the tank is going on well. Have some berrynade in there now and this tarty juice is absolute bliss!I am chain vaping with no dry hits as off yet but i do give it a shake now and then to get those bubbles out because I will always be on dry hit alert

Sorry @Spydro I know it's not what you wanted to hear but when you get a perfect coil you are in heaven... I was lucky in that my 2nd and 3rd coil was perfect and that's what got me so excited. Coil 4,5 and 6 has been awful and very frustrating.

Am I sorry I bought 4 Target Tanks? No not at all because I will find 4 decent coils and life will be just grand.

Very interesting about the "fresh" story... gonna go search that now!... I love lights at the end of tunnels!

Hi Rob. IF you ever get tired of these tanks, pleeeease sell me one. You are the devil that introduced me to that evil little bugger in the first place last weekend.

I swear to practice catch and release on all my bass from now :facepalm:, unless people are starving:)

This pic is from another international forum, not sure of I'm allowed to link, but basically go extreme!

To be fair he had wicking issues with using these in the Atlantis because the bottom hexes were covered :)

Why don't they just make them like this???

Back