Out And About With Your Reo!

My wife loves the Destinations but doesnt want to drive there.

And worst of all she offten gets car sick so that doesnt help in my favour either :-D

Can totally relate to that. Liking the destination but not the drive (or journey)
As for the car sick part - that is not a good thing - oh no, don't know how you going to resolve that one easily.

That's just awesome @Blu_Marlin !

I was watching Worlds greatest motorcycle rides last night on the Travel Channel with my wife.
Henry Cole (the presenter and rider) was doing a trip through South Africa.
I had seen parts of it a while back but saw more of it last night.

He saw some amazing places and encountered some glorious scenery. Am quite ashamed that I have not seen some or most of that, despite living here!

My wife and I were so keen to just put down everything and get in the car soon for a nice roadtrip somewhere. I think we may just do it soon...

I was luck enough to see a lot, not all but quite a bit, of this beautiful country of ours during my work travels. The diversity of beauty each province has is amazing.

And so we continue onto the next day. A trip to Robben Island: It was a weird and wonderful emotional tour.
The prisoners cell:

The famous 46664 inmates cell:
REO_ROBBEN3.jpg

Leaving Robben Island:

REO_ROBBEN4.jpg

Early supper at the V&A Waterfront. Lamb Bredie from the Karibu Resturant.

REO_ROBBEN_FOOD.jpg

Onwards and upwards to Tuesday. Did the City Sightseening Tour, Table Mountain and the Cape Wheel:rolleyes:.
On the bus. It kinda reminded me of the time I spent in London but the weather was completely different;).
REO_RED_BUS.jpg

On top of Table Mountain:
REO_TABLE1.jpg

REO_TABLE2.jpg

REO_TABLE3.jpg

REO_TABLE4.jpg

On the "Wheel":)
REO_WHEEL1.jpg

Supper at Panama Jacks down at the dock area. You would have never guessed that there would be such a great restaurant in the area. Up there with some of the best seafood I`ve eaten. If you are ever in CPT make your way down to Panama Jacks, great food, great atmosphere and very friendly owner.
Seafood Platter: The REO was overwhelmed by the platter and had to lay down:giggle:. Truth be told, I also had to have a siesta after that meal:D
REO_PANAMA_JACKS.jpg

Banoffee Pie for dessert (well what was left of it by the time I remembered to take the photo:oops:):
REO_PANAMA_JACKS1.jpg

No pics of the next day as we were busy doing retail therapy and enjoying Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins at Canal Walk. Stopped at Plett on the way to PE on the Thursday:
REO_PLETT.jpg
Some random pic having coffee and a baked cheese cake:
REO_V&A.jpg

Arriving at the hotel in PE late at night after stopping everywhere on the N2 between Mosselbay and JBay:rolleyes:
REO_PE.jpg

Left to JHB the next day but the Port Elizabeth, East London and Transkie coast is on the list for the next time.:clap:

That's just awesome @Blu_Marlin !

I was watching Worlds greatest motorcycle rides last night on the Travel Channel with my wife.
Henry Cole (the presenter and rider) was doing a trip through South Africa.
I had seen parts of it a while back but saw more of it last night.

He saw some amazing places and encountered some glorious scenery. Am quite ashamed that I have not seen some or most of that, despite living here!

My wife and I were so keen to just put down everything and get in the car soon for a nice roadtrip somewhere. I think we may just do it soon...

I used to do some serious road trips, car club rallies, the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach, etc and even did some road racing similar to the Silver State Classic Challenge they do here that holds the Guinness record as the fastest road race on public highways in the world. In fact the reason I bought the Elvis Stingray in 2005 was to do a long road trip. I wanted to go do the historic Route 66 again end to end like I had done one summer in the mid 60's in the '63 Corvette to relive my youth... then spend the rest of a year plus touring in it wherever my heart took me in the US, Canada and Mexico. But my health went south just a month after I got the '73 Stingray, so I never did do a road trip in it (it's been parked in my storage garage for going on 5 years now).

Reos were probably not even a twinkle in Robert O'Neil's eyes back then... but the trip would have made for some really great out and about Reo pictures.

73-7.jpg

No pics of the next day as we were busy doing retail therapy and enjoying Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins at Canal Walk. Stopped at Plett on the way to PE on the Thursday:
View attachment 81214
Some random pic having coffee and a baked cheese cake:
View attachment 81215

Arriving at the hotel in PE late at night after stopping everywhere on the N2 between Mosselbay and JBay:rolleyes:
View attachment 81216

Left to JHB the next day but the Port Elizabeth, East London and Transkie coast is on the list for the next time.:clap:

Oh that is just amazing @Blu_Marlin - thanks for sharing
What a lovely trip it appears you had - and the Reo was proudly in so many superb photos!!!
Love it

I used to do some serious road trips, car club rallies, the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach, etc and even did some road racing similar to the Silver State Classic Challenge they do here that holds the Guinness record as the fastest road race on public highways in the world. In fact the reason I bought the Elvis Stingray in 2005 was to do a long road trip. I wanted to go do the historic Route 66 again end to end like I had done one summer in the mid 60's in the '63 Corvette to relive my youth... then spend the rest of a year plus touring in it wherever my heart took me in the US, Canada and Mexico. But my health went south just a month after I got the '73 Stingray, so I never did do a road trip in it (it's been parked in my storage garage for going on 5 years now).

Reos were probably not even a twinkle in Robert O'Neil's eyes back then... but the trip would have made for some really great out and about Reo pictures.

View attachment 81219

Great photo @Spydro
I would also just love to do a roadtrip for several weeks in the US of A.
I've visited a few times, but mainly for shorter business trips.
Would love to hire a nice car and go cruising!

Really cool to read! Thanks for sharing @Blu_Marlin ! I know REOs are indestructible but in some of those shots they were way too precariously balanced for my liking!!

Oh that is just amazing @Blu_Marlin - thanks for sharing
What a lovely trip it appears you had - and the Reo was proudly in so many superb photos!!!
Love it
Thanks @Silver It was a lovely trip. I take a REO almost every where I go. When I go away with the family and theres no one at home the whole vape family goes with, even if I don`t use them all.

Thanks @Silver It was a lovely trip. I take a REO almost every where I go. When I go away with the family and theres no one at home the whole vape family goes with, even if I don`t use them all.
@Blu_Marlin i was lucky they broke into my house in december and stole a lot of shit but left all my vape gear. They just tossed the reo and minikin v2 on the ground.

Great photo @Spydro
I would also just love to do a roadtrip for several weeks in the US of A.
I've visited a few times, but mainly for shorter business trips.
Would love to hire a nice car and go cruising!

I would hate to drive in the US. They drive on the wrong side of the road over there:p. I tried driving in Cuba, once, when I visited but kept turning into the wrong side off the road:oops:. I gave up after a few trys. It was almost as bad as switiching between manual and automatic or driving a German car and then switching to a Japanese car :rolleyes:.

Really cool to read! Thanks for sharing @Blu_Marlin ! I know REOs are indestructible but in some of those shots they were way too precariously balanced for my liking!!
Lol Alot of time was spent before taking the photos making sure the mod was well balanced:) and that the wind would not blow the mod over.

@Blu_Marlin i was lucky they broke into my house in december and stole a lot of shit but left all my vape gear. They just tossed the reo and minikin v2 on the ground.
It`s really sad that we have to worry about things like that. On the bright side at least they left the vape stuff. That’s also one of the reasons why I take my REO with me when we go away. To me my current setup is irreplaceable.

I would hate to drive in the US. They drive on the wrong side of the road over there:p. I tried driving in Cuba, once, when I visited but kept turning into the wrong side off the road:oops:. I gave up after a few trys. It was almost as bad as switiching between manual and automatic or driving a German car and then switching to a Japanese car :rolleyes:.

So true, i forgot about that! Oh my word you are right @Blu_Marlin :eek:

I managed to convince the wife to do a roadtrip in Spain about 8 years ago. After Barcelona we caught the train to Valencia. Then we hired a car and they upgraded us to a brand new Audi A3!.

The plan was to go slowly along the coast all the way down to Malaga over 7 days and just stop and stay wherever we landed up liking.

Anyway, it didnt turn out well, we ended up in Malaga after an over night stop in Alicante and i handed the car in without a scratch but I was shaking. Also the wrong side of the road. And the gears were on the wrong side!!!! It was a very scary experience. Even the GPS unit was talking in Spanish and I could not figure out how to change it.

Ok - road trips need to be on the correct side of the road with a right hand drive vehicle :D

Last edited:

So I guess what you are saying is that you can't pick you nose with both your right AND left hands. ;) I've been driving for over 60 years, and wrong side roads, high speed, local lunatics, danger never bothered me at all. But then I've always been fearless.

For most life is about norms, what you are used to, what fits into your comfort zone. But some of us are so adventurous that stepping out of our comfort zones becomes a way of life.

So true, i forgot about that! Oh my word you are right @Blu_Marlin :eek:

I managed to convince the wife to do a roadtrip in Spain about 8 years ago. After Barcelona we caught the train to Valencia. Then we hired a car and they upgraded us to a brand new Audi A3!.

The plan was to go slowly along the coast all the way down to Malaga over 7 days and just stop and stay wherever we landed up liking.

Anyway, it didnt turn out well, we ended up in Malaga after an over night stop in Alicante and i handed the car in without a scratch but I was shaking. Also the wrong side of the road. And the gears were on the wrong side!!!! It was a very scary experience. Even the GPS unit was talking in Spanish and I could not figure out how to change it.

Ok - road trips need to be on the correct side of the road with a right hand drive vehicle :D
About five months before the Cuba trip I ended up in Munich:) for work related matters. My co-workers had hired cars. Strangely, during our trip, the most common problem was climbing curbs rather than turning into on-coming traffic. Lucky for me Munich had an excellent public transport system:D which I used for the duration of my stay.;)

So I guess what you are saying is that you can't pick you nose with both your right AND left hands. ;) I've been driving for over 60 years, and wrong side roads, high speed, local lunatics, danger never bothered me at all. But then I've always been fearless.

For most life is about norms, what you are used to, what fits into your comfort zone. But some of us are so adventurous that stepping out of our comfort zones becomes a way of life.
:rofl::rofl: @Spydro I actually had to try that:giggle::oops:. I did not notice it before but from preliminary observations it seems that I can only do that properly with my left hand:lipssealed:. The right does not feel comfortable at all:(. I am right handed btw. I used to drive professionally (no not racing cars but rather large vehicles). I drove a lot and I think that it just became second nature to turn into the left lane because of the amount of driving I did at the time. I have since learned to adapt after driving in Africa, where sometimes you drive on the left hand side and sometimes you drive on the right hand side, on the same road:cursing2:. I can now also drive my wife's automatic car with out stomping on the brake trying looking for the clutch pedal and I don`t turn on the windscreen wipers in my car when trying to indicate after driving the work vehicle for a while:clap:. I still have to work on the nose picking though:lipssealed:

Camping weekend.

GkBInRy.jpg

6Gy4yio.jpg

D5ISJdF.jpg

Back