Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
@vaalboy, I mount my Kayfun with 2 ohm coil on the Zmax V5 @ 9.5 - 10 watts. It vapes beautifully, loads of vapour and flavour, you won't be disappointed.

I wonder how many coil builders are running their rigs on electronic mods like a SVD/Vamo etc versus a Mech Mod?

Seems to me there are more electronic mods than I thought there'd be.

I wonder how many coil builders are running their rigs on electronic mods like a SVD/Vamo etc versus a Mech Mod?

Kayfun runs like a dream on SVD. 1.4 ohm at 14 watts. I have a Mech Mod and another Kayfun on the way but I can't imagine that it could be that much of a difference. I could stand corrected.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The only difference is battery life; the mech mods beat the electronic mods, although by a very small margin.

Thanks @Tornalca

I dont have any experience with this, but I suppose the difference comes at lower ohms, approaching 1 ohm and below.

At your set up, using ohms law, I calculate the current is 2.67 amps. Wonder what the current limit is on the SVD? I thought I saw somewhere it was 3 amps. Must be.

So I suppose at that power and resistance level, its fine.

Just curious.

The only difference is battery life; the mech mods beat the electronic mods, although by a very small margin.

And obviously the ability to go sub ohm.

Thanks @Tornalca

I dont have any experience with this, but I suppose the difference comes at lower ohms, approaching 1 ohm and below.

At your set up, using ohms law, I calculate the current is 2.67 amps. Wonder what the current limit is on the SVD? I thought I saw somewhere it was 3 amps. Must be.

So I suppose at that power and resistance level, its fine.

Just curious.

Answer to the question.

https://m.facebook.com/Innokin.Technology/posts/452160988188752

While I have tried one or two sub-ohm setups at vape meets, I haven't properly played with them.

I am wondering if the throat hit and flavour is worth the "cost" in terms of reduced battery life and much higher juice consumption. I can understand the cloud production but that's not necessary for me.

Anyone out there that has experimented properly with sub-ohms and then gone back to higher ohmage?

While I have tried one or two sub-ohm setups at vape meets, I haven't properly played with them.

I am wondering if the throat hit and flavour is worth the "cost" in terms of reduced battery life and much higher juice consumption. I can understand the cloud production but that's not necessary for me.

Anyone out there that has experimented properly with sub-ohms and then gone back to higher ohmage?

At this stage I get enough flavour and throat hit and clouds. I don't really see the need but will give it a go when the goods arrive.

Thanks - its the pulsing it does which confuses the issue ;-)
As long as it vapes nicely, I suppose that's all that counts.

I further suppose the nice thing about electronic mods is that they are safer. So if you connect up some dangerously low ohm coil, you should, in theory, be protected.

My SVD does not fire below 1.1ohm.

My current setup (Kayfun 2 ohm @ 9.5 watts) lasts me from 08:00 in the mornig till about 21:00 at night with heavy vaping. The current load is at 2.2 Amps. I believe the Zmax v5 is capable of 5 Amps but I have not yet pushed it beyond 2.7 A.
I have at many occasions vaped on sub ohm coils mounted on mechanical mods and feel no need to convert. Flavour and vapour wise im content that im not missing out. The only reason I would consider converting is size, and of course aesthetics.

I run my Kayfun and Russian on electronic mods and they perform beautifully for certain juices that do not like high heat - mostly fuit juices and, strangely enough, VM's banana cream. But other juices perform best at high heat (NET tobaccos, desserts like Bowden's Mate) where you cannot beat a well set up mechanical mod and rba for flavour, vapour and throat hit.

I don't own an electronic mod. I had an SVD to play with for a week and thought it was a fantastic piece of kit, still do. A mech came up for sale in the classifieds for a really good price including a trident RDA and I grabbed it. Since then I found my happy place to be 0.9 to 1.1 ohm coils and an electronic mod does not like those numbers. I was still considering getting a SVD but got gifted another mech and Aqua RBA which I have just finished fixing and rebuilding. Again happy place is 1.0 ohm flat. Then, lol, there is another mech and Aqua on the way.

Maybe at a later stage I'll look at getting an electronic but right now I'm a happy boy.

I don't own an electronic mod. I had an SVD to play with for a week and thought it was a fantastic piece of kit, still do. A mech came up for sale in the classifieds for a really good price including a trident RDA and I grabbed it. Since then I found my happy place to be 0.9 to 1.1 ohm coils and an electronic mod does not like those numbers. I was still considering getting a SVD but got gifted another mech and Aqua RBA which I have just finished fixing and rebuilding. Again happy place is 1.0 ohm flat. Then, lol, there is another mech and Aqua on the way.

Maybe at a later stage I'll look at getting an electronic but right now I'm a happy boy.
How much e-juice can you put into the Aqua? Got one I'm still eyeing to build.

How much e-juice can you put into the Aqua? Got one I'm still eyeing to build.

Didn't measure yet still playing but it doesn't hold to much for a RBA. Some reviews say about 3ml. I killed a tank and 350 batt in 2-3 hours.
Its a decent vape though makes nice clouds. rebuilt 4 times this afternoon to get it right. Fiddly getting the coils tightened up. But a pro like you will get ti going in no time flat.

Last edited:
Took pics of the build but they were shocking having a bad camera day only this one is decent.
Its a 2mm ID 30g kanthal 7wraps each 1 ohm dual coil. with cotton.

Aqua.jpg

Decided to give the Aqua a go. Use 28g Kanthal, 11 wraps for each coil on a 1.5 mm ID mandrel. Came out at 0.78 ohms.
F9hZyfB.jpg

Much easier build than I anticipated for the dual coils. Enough space to twist the wire right around each post. This keeps it in place. Repeat with the second coil and fasten the thumb screws.
kOEILW6.jpg

fxRlIV7.jpg

Love those deep grooves. Just juice up the wick a bit and stick them in there, no danger of catching when screwing the chimney on and on precisely the best place for wicking effectively. I used 2 mm silica (1 mm doubled up and pulled through with dental floss).
mK1Qfjf.jpg

Vapes like a champion on the Magneto. Pity it only takes 1.5 mm juice.
HR3Evf5.jpg

Decided to give the Aqua a go. Use 28g Kanthal, 11 wraps for each coil on a 1.5 mm ID mandrel. Came out at 0.78 ohms.
F9hZyfB.jpg

Much easier build than I anticipated for the dual coils. Enough space to twist the wire right around each post. This keeps it in place. Repeat with the second coil and fasten the thumb screws.
kOEILW6.jpg

fxRlIV7.jpg

Love those deep grooves. Just juice up the wick a bit and stick them in there, no danger of catching when screwing the chimney on and on precisely the best place for wicking effectively. I used 2 mm silica (1 mm doubled up and pulled through with dental floss).
mK1Qfjf.jpg

Vapes like a champion on the Magneto. Pity it only takes 1.5 mm juice.
HR3Evf5.jpg
See knew you would sort it out. You sure about the 1.5ml? Looks like more. I'll be glad if its 1.5 means my juice consumption isn't so bad.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Wow - impressive @Matthee - and you say you are not experienced at these things ;-) LOL yeah right! I think you need to fly up to our next JHB vape meet to give us a few tips ;-)

See knew you would sort it out. You sure about the 1.5ml? Looks like more. I'll be glad if its 1.5 means my juice consumption isn't so bad.

Yes, on your advice filled it with 2 ml, but then gurgled a lot and leaked a bit. Then checked several Google references - all say 1.5 ml. Better vape than the Kayfun/Russian for me - ultra efficient wicking imo. Air control very convenient.

Yes, on your advice filled it with 2 ml, but then gurgled a lot and leaked a bit. Then checked several Google references - all say 1.5 ml. Better vape than the Kayfun/Russian for me - ultra efficient wicking imo. Air control very convenient.

Cool noticed a bit of gurgling and turned the fluid control to as closed as possible sorted that out no dry hits so far and loads of vapour. I still have that feeling that I can get it better but that my OCD. Don't own a kayfun to compare this to but vaped one and I do like this a bit better. Maybe I'm biased :D

You must remember, mechs only became a popular trend last year. 2013 was known as the year of the mech. Before that, mechs was frowned upon due to safety issues, but newer generation batteries changed all that. So before last year, to a large extend, your only choice was regulated mods.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back