Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 wraps 28g kanthal 1.5 ohms. Doesnt look great but vapes much better than the clearomizers ive been using. And this is my first build.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393443961530.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393443961530.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 48
Kayfun kayfun soo good

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

8 wraps 28g kanthal 1.5 ohms. Doesnt look great but vapes much better than the clearomizers ive been using. And this is my first build.

That looks great for a first coil. You will be having many dripping sessions.

That is a superb looking coil!!

How did you get it so close together and so neat? Tweezers? Are you using a jig to wind it?
Torched the kanthal before wrapping and then just wrapped on a 2mm drill bit keeping the wraps as close together as possible. Once the coil is mounted fire, squeeze, repeat.

Well done on your first coil @AndreFerreira !
Enjoy!
What dripper is that? Is it the IGO-L?

Torched the kanthal before wrapping and then just wrapped on a 2mm drill bit keeping the wraps as close together as possible. Once the coil is mounted fire, squeeze, repeat.

Ok great. Thats impressive.

Can I ask, did you hold the drill bit with one hand while wrapping the wire around it? Or did you have some other way of securing the drill bit?

Also, what does torching the Kanthal do? I see guys in videos doing that and i even have a little torch but havent used it yet. Does it improve the coil wrapping or the vape? Or both?

Finally, are you using tweezers to squeeze? Or long nose pliers?

Sorry for all the questions ;-)

Ok great. Thats impressive.

Can I ask, did you hold the drill bit with one hand while wrapping the wire around it? Or did you have some other way of securing the drill bit?

Also, what does torching the Kanthal do? I see guys in videos doing that and i even have a little torch but havent used it yet. Does it improve the coil wrapping or the vape? Or both?

Finally, are you using tweezers to squeeze? Or long nose pliers?

Sorry for all the questions ;-)
No problem @Silver1 happy to help.
I just hold the drill bit in one hand and wrap.
I believe that torching anneals the kanthal making it a bit softer and easier to wrap, especially on smaller diameters. Don't think it does anything for the vape.
I use a pair of feeding tweezers which works well.
images.jpg

No problem @Silver1 happy to help.
I just hold the drill bit in one hand and wrap.
I believe that torching anneals the kanthal making it a bit softer and easier to wrap, especially on smaller diameters. Don't think it does anything for the vape.
I use a pair of feeding tweezers which works well.
View attachment 1587

A few guys on the tube have stated that torching it also helps to sterilise the wire as well.

Ok thanks guys. Was keen to use my little butane torch but actually forgot to do that. Will try it next time.

Ok thanks guys. Was keen to use my little butane torch but actually forgot to do that. Will try it next time.

where did you get ur torch from?

ive been looking for one.

Got mine from Cape Union Mart. But there are quite a few other places too

china town brother bought mine a year ago still working

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I think mine was about R120
It wasnt the biggest one. About the size of your hand. Quite basic. Has a lock ring on the top and a cover for the nozzle. Refillable at the bottom.

Hey guys,

So I had a few old evod coils laying around and decided to try my hand at just re-wicking them as means to get myself into modding.

My set up is a mPT2 clone known as a rev tank from vapeMOB on an ego 1300mah vv running at 3.8v with a 1.8ohm coil.

My owe my, first off the build quality of the coil in the evod coil is really cheaply done. But I managed to re-wick it with some organic cotton wool I got from Dischem. I did not boil the cotton wool as I was eager to see if I can do it and try the vape, I have subsequently boiled some cotton wool and it is currently drying.

So how was the vape, man it makes a difference over silica. The throat hit is more pronounced and I seem to hit my satisfaction point sooner than with a standard evod coil. The flavour on the way in has enhanced but have not noticed a difference on the exhale. I am very keen to try it again with my boiled cotton wool.

All in all a very positive experience and something I would do on a regular basis. Now I am keen and ready to try my hand at recoiling an evod coil, just need to get my hands on some kanthol.

Torching does nothing for the vape. What it does do is sterilise the wire, but more importantly it helps the wire hold its shape. So when you wrapping it holds the coil shape better. When you test firing after its mounted, what you doing is heating the coil red hot then squeezing the coils together and it should hold its shape, if its not wound tight enough.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

So as promised a comparison between raw organic cotton and boiled organic cotton

My setup is as follows:
Standard 1.8ohm evod
Ego VV running at 3.8vv
mPT2 running Juicy Vapor French Vanilla Custard - 40/60 PG/VG mix with 9mg nic
The control for the research done was the above mentioned setup with the standard silca wick provided in the coil upon purchase

Comparison Criteria:
1) Absorption of juice by Cotton
- Raw cotton definitely absorbs the ejuice faster and draws in a lot more juice when compared to that of the boiled cotton - Raw cotton wicks better than the boiled cotton

2) Throat Hit
- The raw cotton and boiled cotton seems to provide the same throat hit and level of satisfaction is reach in both cases with the same amount of puffs

3) Vapour Production
- The raw cotton definitely produces noticeably more vapour as to that of the boiled cotton. The vapour production of the raw cotton i would say is equal to 1.5 that of the boiled cotton

4) Flavour
- The flavour produced by the raw cotton is more than the flavour of the boiled cotton. The flavour in my opinion is double that of the flavour of the boiled cotton.
- Neither cotton has left an after taste in my mouth but I must admit that with the raw cotton the custard is a bit more pronounced and I get the creaminess better of the juice through the raw cotton than that of the boiled cotton

Conclusion:
It is through my personal observation that the raw organic cotton is the better route when compared to that of the boiled cotton. If I were to put an order of preference (from most preferred to least preferred) it would be as followed: 1) Raw Cotton, 2) Boiled Cotton and 3) standard Silica wick (which comes in the evod coil). Using cotton has given more satisfaction in fewer puffs both in terms of flavour and throat hit with the raw cotton providing the most euphoria from vaping. For me raw cotton gets me closer and faster to Nirvana than what the boiled cotton does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back