Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get that right, then you have done well @BhavZ!!
You must tell us how it vapes. Will be like a stealth smoke machine

Sorry, cant advise you on the touching of the coils though :)
Thanks dude

It will be my first attempt at building nano coils so quite keen to give it a try

Guys quick question, when building dual coils, its it ok if the 2 coils touch?

I am wanting to try and build a dual coil in an evod cup and am concerned about the 2 coils touching cause it is a very tight space to work in.

So these 2 coils will be running parallel to each other so if they touch is it ok?

I really don't know how that will react. Will the coils pop because of touching? It will play up with regards to resistance. I would say try a diamond coil. Or seperate them with cotton or silica between them like a Ithaka build does. These are my limited opinions as I haven't tried something like this.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Thanks @Gazzacpt . I think keeping them separate with a piece of cotton is a brilliant idea..

Definitely take a photo @BhavZ !

If I can find the correct needle size today then I will try and build it tonight and post some pics (if I get it right lol)

Post picks anyway don't be shy if you get it wrong someone could help you right.

Post picks anyway don't be shy if you get it wrong someone could help you right.

Thanks man, will send pics once built

Definitely take a photo @BhavZ !

Once I get it to work I will give a full review on my experience. I am thinking of using my Protank 1 as the tester for this as I find that tank to be quite airy so the dual coil should perform well in there.

@BhavZ , the two coils can touch , they will not pop , or damage , you should find that it makes them heat up a bit quicker , esp once you have dry burnt them cherry red they will warm up nicely .

@BhavZ , the two coils can touch , they will not pop , or damage , you should find that it makes them heat up a bit quicker , esp once you have dry burnt them cherry red they will warm up nicely .

Thanks man, that is brilliant news, will make my life a lot easier.

Found the needles so it is definitely build time tonight.. cant wait

Going to be building coils for the first time soon and been researching for a few days. I however have a few noob questions, so please bare with me if these have been covered before.

1. So I've established that with kanthal the higher the gauge the thinner the diameter and the higher the resistance. Does the same principle apply to the diameter of the coil? The smaller the diameter the higher the resistance?
  2. It appears that the length of the coil is also key due as it determines the amount of juice that is vaporized. Is it advisable to build the longest coil possible within the resistance band being targeted?
  3. Why is it preferred to have the coils pushed close together rather than have a "spirally" coil?
  4. Is there a big difference in the vape between lets say a 1.5 ohm and a 1.8 ohm coil?
  5. If using cotton as wicking material, how do you know when to replace it?
  6. How does the position of the coil (closer to airhole vs elevated or closer to posts vs further away) affect the vape (TH and cloud)?

Going to be building coils for the first time soon and been researching for a few days. I however have a few noob questions, so please bare with me if these have been covered before.

1. So I've established that with kanthal the higher the gauge the thinner the diameter and the higher the resistance. Does the same principle apply to the diameter of the coil? The smaller the diameter the higher the resistance?
  2. It appears that the length of the coil is also key due as it determines the amount of juice that is vaporized. Is it advisable to build the longest coil possible within the resistance band being targeted?
  3. Why is it preferred to have the coils pushed close together rather than have a "spirally" coil?
  4. Is there a big difference in the vape between lets say a 1.5 ohm and a 1.8 ohm coil?
  5. If using cotton as wicking material, how do you know when to replace it?
  6. How does the position of the coil (closer to airhole vs elevated or closer to posts vs further away) affect the vape (TH and cloud)?

Ill give it a bash

1. Yes the smaller the diameter means less wire = less resistance. There is a guide to micro coils on the forum somewhere and 1.5mm is the respected diameter for a micro coil
2. A Making the coil longer or shorter at 1.5mm internal diameter will result in a higher or lower resistance
3.A micro coil when squeezed together creates more heat which vaporizes more liquid in a shorter amount of time.
4. Yes but it is subjective.
5.The general consensus is 3 days. anymore than that and it will start to break down. You will know when it breaks :)
6. I feel this has to do with controlling the temperature of the coil which in turn changes the interpretation of the vape.

Ill give it a bash

1. Yes the smaller the diameter means less wire = less resistance. There is a guide to micro coils on the forum somewhere and 1.5mm is the respected diameter for a micro coil
2. A Making the coil longer or shorter at 1.5mm internal diameter will result in a higher or lower resistance
3.A micro coil when squeezed together creates more heat which vaporizes more liquid in a shorter amount of time.
4. Yes but it is subjective.
5.The general consensus is 3 days. anymore than that and it will start to break down. You will know when it breaks :)
6. I feel this has to do with controlling the temperature of the coil which in turn changes the interpretation of the vape.

You guys are awesome - thanks

Added my comments in red. All the best with the coil building.
  1. So I've established that with kanthal the higher the gauge the thinner the diameter and the higher the resistance. Does the same principle apply to the diameter of the coil? The smaller the diameter the higher the resistance? No, the resistance is determined by the gauge of the wire and the length of the wire used. So, with the same length of the same gauge wire you will get the same resistance, but on the thinner diameter you will need more wraps.
  2. It appears that the length of the coil is also key due as it determines the amount of juice that is vaporized. Is it advisable to build the longest coil possible within the resistance band being targeted? Yes, you want to get enough real estate in there. The more wick that touches the coil the better. That is why a smaller diameter is also better. But, one can overdo this as the longer the coil, the more difficult it becomes to have it uniform and tight fitting, to fit it in the small space of an atomizer and to insert your wick.
  3. Why is it preferred to have the coils pushed close together rather than have a "spirally" coil? It heats up quicker and more evenly resulting in a better vape. They also last longer. The spirally coils tend to have more hot spots and hot legs. But many vapers still prefer spirally coils.
  4. Is there a big difference in the vape between lets say a 1.5 ohm and a 1.8 ohm coil? Yes, there is a difference, but as @SVS1000 says, whether you detect this as a big difference or not is very subjective.
  5. If using cotton as wicking material, how do you know when to replace it? Very much dependent on the type of juice. When using cotton I re-wick about every day or sometime day and a half.
  6. How does the position of the coil (closer to airhole vs elevated or closer to posts vs further away) affect the vape (TH and cloud)? Yes, all about air flow and direction thereof. Most flavour and vapour - right in front of the air hole as close to the edge as possible. Up the coil for more TH, less of the other 2. Closer to the posts also more TH, less of the other 2. Try to find your own happy medium.

Added my comments in red. All the best with the coil building.
  1. So I've established that with kanthal the higher the gauge the thinner the diameter and the higher the resistance. Does the same principle apply to the diameter of the coil? The smaller the diameter the higher the resistance? No, the resistance is determined by the gauge of the wire and the length of the wire used. So, with the same length of the same gauge wire you will get the same resistance, but on the thinner diameter you will need more wraps.
  2. It appears that the length of the coil is also key due as it determines the amount of juice that is vaporized. Is it advisable to build the longest coil possible within the resistance band being targeted? Yes, you want to get enough real estate in there. The more wick that touches the coil the better. That is why a smaller diameter is also better. But, one can overdo this as the longer the coil, the more difficult it becomes to have it uniform and tight fitting, to fit it in the small space of an atomizer and to insert your wick.
  3. Why is it preferred to have the coils pushed close together rather than have a "spirally" coil? It heats up quicker and more evenly resulting in a better vape. They also last longer. The spirally coils tend to have more hot spots and hot legs. But many vapers still prefer spirally coils.
  4. Is there a big difference in the vape between lets say a 1.5 ohm and a 1.8 ohm coil? Yes, there is a difference, but as @SVS1000 says, whether you detect this as a big difference or not is very subjective.
  5. If using cotton as wicking material, how do you know when to replace it? Very much dependent on the type of juice. When using cotton I re-wick about every day or sometime day and a half.
  6. How does the position of the coil (closer to airhole vs elevated or closer to posts vs further away) affect the vape (TH and cloud)? Yes, all about air flow and direction thereof. Most flavour and vapour - right in front of the air hole as close to the edge as possible. Up the coil for more TH, less of the other 2. Closer to the posts also more TH, less of the other 2. Try to find your own happy medium.
Great feedback !

Hey guys,

So I managed to build the dual coil in an evod cup (picture below)

20140304_164228.jpg ??

Only problem is that it came out as a sub ohm (0.6ohm) coil and none of my kit can run sub ohm coils.

I cant do more wraps cause I am already at the max length that will fit (14 wraps) using 28g kanthal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

View attachment 1683 ??

Only problem is that it came out as a sub ohm (0.6ohm) coil and none of my kit can run sub ohm coils.

I cant do more wraps cause I am already at the max length that will fit (14 wraps) using 28g kanthal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Great coiling there. Maybe try 32 g Kanthal.

Hey guys,

View attachment 1683 ??

WOW @BhavZ well done!!!

looks good

(now all you need is a mech mod to run that mofo :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back