Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what ive read up on, the nemesis seems to be one of the best at the moment.

I was thinking the same thing and it is not that pricey either. Just want to make sure that I have all the knowledge about mech mod safety and maintenance down before I purchase one.. Which hopefully won't take too long then I can get on the mech mod journey.

I was thinking the same thing and it is not that pricey either. Just want to make sure that I have all the knowledge about mech mod safety and maintenance down before I purchase one.. Which hopefully won't take too long then I can get on the mech mod journey.
Nemesis does have a good reputation, but when I saw this post my thought was "Wow that is too fiddly and finicky for this untech". But I have no personal experience. Bought the Magneto from Vapeking and it really is a pleasure - smooth threading, buttery magnetic button.

Nemesis does have a good reputation, but when I saw this post my thought was "Wow that is too fiddly and finicky for this untech". But I have no personal experience. Bought the Magneto from Vapeking and it really is a pleasure - smooth threading, buttery magnetic button.

Thanks @Matthee, will have a look at the Magneto as well.

i bought both a nemisis and a magneto .. and truth be told , the magneto is 100 times a better mech . and it all boils down to the switch .On the nemisis it caused me no end of strife , the magneto is a absolute pleasure .. and that's my 2 cents worth

i bought both a nemisis and a magneto .. and truth be told , the magneto is 100 times a better mech . and it all boils down to the switch .On the nemisis it caused me no end of strife , the magneto is a absolute pleasure .. and that's my 2 cents worth
Thanks

I on the other hand don't have any problems with the nemesis knockoff - works and haven't had any misfires yet.

Igo-L: lacking the second airhole on the opposite, therefore I tried this setup. came out at 0.6 ohms, flavor and fumes are really good so far, but the topcap heats up much faster:
View attachment 901

I tried my friends Kayfun and was blown away by the flavour! so I took my Igo L yesterday and 3/4 filled it with cotton to try and reduce the size of my chamber, just had to make sure my coil was exposed on all sides and has some space for the drip tip. it punched the flavour up ten fold! and my ohms are pretty high sitting at 1.4 at the moment....who would have though that chamber size could affect flavour so dramatically.

@ BhavZ. You should remember that the ohms will be halved when doing dual coil. So try the 32g and aim for 3ohm per coil, which will give you 1.5ohm as a dual. And less wraps so should fit better in the evod cup.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

@ BhavZ. You should remember that the ohms will be halved when doing dual coil. So try the 32g and aim for 3ohm per coil, which will give you 1.5ohm as a dual. And less wraps so should fit better in the evod cup.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Thanks @Rex Smit. Definitely going to give that a try

So here are a few pics of my first coil attempt. This was the third try and came out at 1.4 ohms. I really struggled to get the coil wound close together (even with the glasses on) and couldn't really squeeze the coil after burning it as it tended to bend out wards.

I was using a 1 ohm coil CVS pre made me which made more clouds than what's in JHB at the mo, but throat hit was weak, so I decided to position the new coil slightly closer to the posts and elevated. TH is awesome, vapor and taste less. Quite remarkably so.

Comments, crit and advice most welcome.

image.jpg image.jpg

@BhavZ, well done for that coil!
I have never seen that before. Wow.

Pity about the ohms being too low. Would have loved to hear how it vapes.

So here are a few pics of my first coil attempt. This was the third try and came out at 1.4 ohms. I really struggled to get the coil wound close together (even with the glasses on) and couldn't really squeeze the coil after burning it as it tended to bend out wards.

I was using a 1 ohm coil CVS pre made me which made more clouds than what's in JHB at the mo, but throat hit was weak, so I decided to position the new coil slightly closer to the posts and elevated. TH is awesome, vapor and taste less. Quite remarkably so.

Comments, crit and advice most welcome.

View attachment 1712 View attachment 1713
The pictures are not very clear unfortunately, but looks like a fine first coil. You have now experienced how the coil position can make a huge difference - you are on your way to find your own sweet spot with a bit of experimenting. Still too much cotton as far as I can see.
Ok, some questions. What gauge wire? What ID mandrel? Did you first pulse the coil, then fire it for at least 7 seconds and then squeeze? How long did you hold the squeeze? With what did you squeeze? Did you torch the wire beforehand?

Just on the issue of torching the wire before wrapping it.

The other day I tried that with my little Cape Union Mart blowtorch. It was 28g Kanthal. I torched it slowly in one direction so it glowed red. I moved it along a length of the wire, so the glow moved along till I had torched a piece of wire long enough to make the coil.

After it cooled, I wrapped the coil around the mandrel and after the second wrap, the wire snapped.

So I did the next one without torching it beforehand. It didn't snap.
I just fired it and did the "glow red hot, followed by the tweezer squeeze" exercise a few times. Everything seems fine.

1) Do you think it snapped because I torched it? Could I have torched it too much?
2) Why do you need to torch it beforehand if you fire it to glow it red hot anyway - once it's wrapped?

The pictures are not very clear unfortunately, but looks like a fine first coil. You have now experienced how the coil position can make a huge difference - you are on your way to find your own sweet spot with a bit of experimenting. Still too much cotton as far as I can see.noted, will scale down when I rewick tmz.
Ok, some questions. What gauge wire? 28 kanthal What ID mandrel? Not 100% sure! used a toothpick Did you first pulse the coil yes, then fire it for at least 7 seconds no and then squeeze tried to squeeze after pulsing, but coil didn't compact but started bending outwards? How long did you hold the squeeze? With what did you squeeze tweezers ? Did you torch the wire beforehand no?

Thanks for all the guidance and patience so far @Matthee. Another thing I've noted is that this coil crackles and pops whereas the new coils CVS had made me didn't. (using same juice)

Add: is there any specific technique to wind the coil closer together or is it just good eyesight, steady hand and lots of practice?

Last edited:
@BhavZ, well done for that coil!
I have never seen that before. Wow.

Pity about the ohms being too low. Would have loved to hear how it vapes.

Thanks man, will be trying it with 32g soon so no hope lost, I will get this to work and post pics once it is working

The other day I tried that with my little Cape Union Mart blowtorch. It was 28g Kanthal. I torched it slowly in one direction so it glowed red. I moved it along a length of the wire, so the glow moved along till I had torched a piece of wire long enough to make the coil.

After it cooled, I wrapped the coil around the mandrel and after the second wrap, the wire snapped.

I just fired it and did the "glow red hot, followed by the tweezer squeeze" exercise a few times. Everything seems fine.

1) Do you think it snapped because I torched it? Could I have torched it too much?
2) Why do you need to torch it beforehand if you fire it to glow it red hot anyway - once it's wrapped?

I found that torching it before wrapping makes it easier to handle. It is possible that you over torched and that is why it snapped. Also torching it before helps to sterilise the wire as well as remove the springiness out of it.

Thanks for all the guidance and patience so far @Matthee. Another thing I've noted is that this coil crackles and pops whereas the new coils CVS had made me didn't. (using same juice)

Add: is there any specific technique to wind the coil closer together or is it just good eyesight, steady hand and lots of practice?

In my experience is not as result of the coil itself but rather the way you wick it. When using cotton there is an initial crack but after a quarter tank of vaping it tends to die down. Fresh cotton has a high absorption rate and as you use it the cotton tends to lose that property slowly over time and that then decreases the crackling noise. IMO

Methinks the crackles and pop is possibly because the wraps were not tight or could be the wicking, but even so crackling and popping does not usually affect the vape, just makes it more interesting.
Very difficult to put tension on wire whilst wrapping on a toothpick. That tension is important for the wraps to be as tight as possible from the start before the squeeze part. Suggest you rather try a small screwdriver or a drill bit. A drill bit fastened in a C clamp works exceptionally well - see picture below.
Leave enough wire for you to hold for the wrap to be able to twist it around your finger(s) so that you can apply proper tension when wrapping or use a thin long nosed pair of pliers to wrap. The wire will also wrap around the nose of the pliers, so some waste, but great tension.
Now, instead of installing your coil, take it out of the mandrel/drill bit, take your tweezers and position the coil therein so that you can apply even pressure without the coil bending outwards. Not too much pressure is required. Hold your hand down far enough or hold the tweezers with a pair of pliers. Now torch that coil, it must glow evenly for at least 10 seconds whilst you are applying pressure. Put the mandrel back in the coil after cool down and install. Take out mandrel after installation. Check the resistance. Now pulse the coil to get the heat to the coil and not the legs of the coil. You can squeeze more if required, but be gentle. Check final positioning of coil, use mandrel to move it, if required. Check your resistance again. Put on the cap and check the resistance again. Now wick.
Not really necessary to torch the wire beforehand imo, but some peeps say it does make it more malleable for tighter wrapping. Don't overdo it. Hope this helps.
PqvHKAC.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, will give it another bash tomorrow using some different tools. Also need to figure why my iphone is taking such lousy close up pics.

Great stuff, will give it another bash tomorrow using some different tools. Also need to figure why my iphone is taking such lousy close up pics.
Great, we expect pictures. Oh yes, a 1.5 mm drill bit should do the thing. And, do not stress. Coil making becomes much easier after the first one (you do not want to see my first one) and you will be developing your own techniques that work for you.

If you find a drill bit a bit too small to work with Game has a metal precision tool set for R27. It has a 1.4mm screwdriver in it, that is what i use to build my coils and it works a treat.

If you find a drill bit a bit too small to work with Game has a metal precision tool set for R27. It has a 1.4mm screwdriver in it, that is what i use to build my coils and it works a treat.

Thanks I've got a set. Will give that a bash.

Probably a weak spot in the wire. Has happened to me as well. I do not torch beforehand, only if the gauge is below 28g.

So here was my first custom made coil on a Protank 2 Mini

PT2MiniCoil.jpg

Sorry the picture is not that much of a close-up, but you get the idea. You can hardly see the coil - that's how I felt ;-)

- Kanthal 28 gauge
- ID was 1.5mm
- 10 wraps

Luckily, my first attempt came out just where I wanted it - at 1.6 ohms.

Thanks to @Tom's suggestion of following RipTripper's video - it was surprisingly a lot easier than I thought it would be.

- Wrap the coil
- Take apart an old coil head
- put the tails down the head
- the only tricky part is making sure the coil is aligned with the vertical spaces. And not too low or too high. I left my screwdriver inside the coil for this.
- while holding the coil in the right spot, put the bottom rubber seal back with one wire inside and the other out
- insert the bottom pin
- break off the ends of the wire
- wick with cotton and cut the pieces that stick out quite short

At first, there was a problem - the juice wasn't feeding properly. I left on the rubber grommet, but then I watched the video again and saw that RipTripper rips it out. So I did that. And it worked perfectly.

The verdict

Wow, clouds like I've never seen on a PT2Mini. I used it on my SVD and pushed up the Wattage to 13 Watts. There was so much vapour it was actually unbelievable.

I have used this coil for the past 3 days (I made it this weekend). Have vaped a few juices. All 18mg around 50/50 PG/VG. The coil and wick are performing very well. No problems at all so far.

I'd say the flavour is quite a bit better than the stock coil. Hard to quantify, but I'd say about 20/30% better. The throat hit is also a little bit better (I'd say 20%).

But I think these improvements have more to do with the higher power. When I vape this coil on lower power (around 7 or 8 watts) the difference to the stock coil is less.

Even at the higher power, it's nowhere near the flavour or throat hit on my IGO-L setup, but a nice improvement on the stock coils. I found it a worthwhile exercise overall.

From what I can see in there that coil looks as perfect as can come. Well done, sir.

Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back