Erm.... Aspire Nautilus, Not All Its Cracked Up To Be?

Mine are authentic clones, looks very legit even down to the scratch strip, but when I tried scratching it off the code gets damaged so cannot be verified, but I still don't see why the atomizer itself doesn't work.

The only other thing I'm thinking it could be, is that I got some seriously screwed coils? But that seems kinda unlikely, the 2 coils in the box sucked. and the additional one I bought, also sucked.
thats not off the table by a longshot.
As with all things mass-manufactured, your inevitably gonna get duds out there.

The story of Aspire Nautilus. Came out with a bang, but most buyers have since stored theirs for performance issues with the coils - as per ECF threads.
Now we have the BVC coils. I have tried them and after 2 duds (expensive) the third one gives a good vape, but certainly not a magic bullet. As people are beginning to realise. And one always hears the good, but never the subsequent bad. Just seen one being sold by one of the early prophets on this forum.
Give me a Mini Protank3 or EVOD any day for consistency and a more than good vape.

@WHeunis True enough I guess, I really hope that its one of the issues you brought up. Because I really want to like this thing. It's so pretty. :p

@Andre, Ye i'm picking that vibe up. TBH, i'm so new to vaping even a half decent effort on the Nautilus' part would likely blow my socks off.

Wish I could test out some of the Kanger stuff here, to see what I'm missing out on.

I'm trying to get a price out of the local supplier dude for an Aerotank Mini, but i'm kinda suspecting its going to be up there (R550-R600 ish) and its one of those sucky, buy and then try situations.

Wish I could test out some of the Kanger stuff here, to see what I'm missing out on.

Dont jump too soon!
No tank is without their faults...

I love my Aerotank Mini, but she can be quite a little cow on occasions.
You learn your device's moods.

I can't pull HEAVY draws off her, its a guaranteed flooding.
She really doesn't like when I chainvape more than 6 draws in a row (gets terribly hot).
Etc etc.

No one device is ever going to be 100% flawless for everyone.
But when you find YOUR perfect device, life will be good.

I'm sticking with my Kayfun for now, 3 months and still rocking, no gurgling, no leaking and no fekking dud coils!

@WHeunis, I hear you. As Rip would way i'm a lung hitter (given a working lung hitting device is available). I'll try cleaning out the coils, and if that doesnt work, I'll strip it down and see if anything looks a wry, step 3 would be waiting for my supplier to get BVC coils. I guess if that all fails, then i should see about finding something better.

Oh the one really amazing thing with the MP3 is not even I can flood the thing.

Edit: wait, I see someone does flood it. Maybe I just draw weakly. Hey 19 years of smoking will do that to you

@BumbleBee, I had a look at the Kayfun, looks really pretty awesome. but i'm a little bit too much of a novice for that still i think. Also, I think to buy all the kanthal, and the ohm meter and all, I'd need to do it, next time I come down to RSA on holiday.

@WHeunis, I hear you. As Rip would way i'm a lung hitter (given a working lung hitting device is available). I'll try cleaning out the coils, and if that doesnt work, I'll strip it down and see if anything looks a wry, step 3 would be waiting for my supplier to get BVC coils. I guess if that all fails, then i should see about finding something better.

If youre a lung hitter you may want to rather start looking at rebuildable dripper atomizers.
But if the hassle of actually dripping puts you off, then squonking a Reo is your future.

Inbetweener you may consider a Kayfun/Russian.

Commercial tanks like Kanger and Nauti just wont cut it if you really are a heavy lunghitter.

@BumbleBee, I had a look at the Kayfun, looks really pretty awesome. but i'm a little bit too much of a novice for that still i think. Also, I think to buy all the kanthal, and the ohm meter and all, I'd need to do it, next time I come down to RSA on holiday.

yeah, i hear ya.
Best thing right now is to see if we cant tide you over by getting that Nauti working.

@WHeunis, the Kayfun, looks like a damned interesting piece of kit. Guess if the Nautilus turns out to be a dud, I should probably start making my way in that kinda direction.

I guess vaping, like just about anything, is an expensive thing to get enthusiastic about :p

So! The plot thickens, I got bored, so I got a drill bit and some pliers, and i opened up the air holes on one of my EVOD tanks collars, net effect? it looks weird as hell, but the vapor is beating the crap out of anything the Nautilus has done, even when i first got it.
Also seems much more forgiving with chain vaping, and heavier drags.

Photo 13-8-2014, 8 12 09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Also tried my hand at distressing it a little, to make it look little more steampunk.
Was originally a pink EVOD (last they had in stock) so the rubbery pink stuff had to go.
Thinking i might do the same to my iPOW, they put this really crappy feeling clear coat over the stainless steel jacket, for some reason.

Photo 13-8-2014, 8 41 39 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Also tried my hand at distressing it a little, to make it look little more steampunk.

Was originally a pink EVOD (last they had in stock) so the rubbery pink stuff had to go.
I love that patina look, nice :rock:

I love that patina look, nice :rock:

It's a strange thing. they have a layer of chrome, then a layer of brass, then copper underneath. so that patina look was actually me, not sanding it properly :p

I stuck the EVOD in a drill and used 1200grit sand paper , then i gave it some irregular swipes, to give it an uneven look.

I wont lie here. I have the SVD with an Aerotank Mega. The first few days were absolute heaven. Then after exactly a week the old coil was dead! Taste was terrible and there was little or no vapor. So I put the second coil in and its just not nearly the same as those first few days. I have never even heard of cleaning the coils in Vodka or dry burning them. But I was rather dissapointed. After reading this I have hope however. My clouds are still thick but only half the size they used to be. I want to get a RBA with a mechanical mod so I can drip all the Zamplebox flavours before filling up with like 2mls and hating it

So i got an Aspire Nautilus... after my EVOD's wick finally burnt out, and I used the Nautilus solidly for about 2 weeks. Initially the results I got off of it blew my mind. (for like the first day or so)

But since, I've had constant issues with the wick not being saturated enough, and then when it is kinda saturated, I get burnt hits.

So then i decided to pick up a VV mod (Kangertech iPOW). to see if my issues were power related. and low and behold, the nautlius is not handling anything higher than 3.7V...

So for comparison sake, I went out and bought new EVOD coil, and stuck that sucker on my iPOW, and what do you know? instantly better flavour and vapor production, all the way up to 5V.

From all my reading, the Nautilus is meant to be something special... But I don't get why its performing so bad for me, I've been through 3 coils, and I haven't been n00bing it, i've been priming it, and making sure that the coil is as saturated as possible without drowning it.

The juices I've tried on the nautilus are NicEjuice (60PG / 40VG) and Liqua (70PG / 30VG), the Liqua really didn't agree with the nautilus. Both those juices work perfectly in the EVOD.

Anyone got any ideas?

Just for your guys interest, heres what the prices for this kinda stuff are like up here...

Aspire Nautilus = R475-R500
Fancy hollowed out Nautilus tank = R200-R220
Kangertech iPOW VV = R380-R400
Aspire BDC coils = R50.0 each (not per pack)

EVOD starter kit = R730

Get yourself some BVC coils - the difference in performance between the original coils and the new BVC coils are huge

I also have an original Nautilus that quickly got relegated to drawer storage when I got my Kayfun. However, when I saw GrimmGreen and other reviewers singing the praises of the new coils I decided to give them a try

Lol, now my Kayfun has been relegated to storage instead...though I still use it very infrequently nowadays. Check out my post on first impressions and tips with the new BVC coils: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/nautilus-mini.3851/page-5#post-91278 (Additional tip: Personally I prefer to vape these @ 15.5W - 17W to get the best out of them. This is impossible to achieve with original coils without getting nasty dry burns)

Hope it helps!

Oh - and something else of note - I am still using the original first coil I popped in my Nautilus, still vapes a treat!

Back