Erm.... Aspire Nautilus, Not All Its Cracked Up To Be?

oh! Just FYI.

My trick of screwing the coil into the chimney as opposed to the base when assembling it. seems to have gotten rid of the dry hit issues. it's also working like a champ all the way up to 5V :) still keen to see what the BVC coils are like. But I'm actually really happy with my Nautilus now.

which makes me thing, that maybe the issues were caused by a air leaking somewhere or maybe by juice not being able to get into the thing easily because of it being to constrained.

I've also found that shaking it every 5-10 hits helps too. you can see the bubbles rise as the juice wicks.

I don't want to start a new thread, just want to ask where people might know - does the mAN perform just as well as the big AN? Or is there a drop in performance in any department?

I agree 100% with @BumbleBee! The Mini does perform better than than the original Nautilus.

in other news, the more robust looking metal and glass tank fell 10cm, and broke :( so ye, not really a worth while investment. I think going full metal would be a better choice if you're worried about breakages.

more news!!!!
so on top of installing the coil wrong, I've found something else that helps the nautilus out too. drilling out the air hole. I used a 3.0 mm drill bit, and I drilled out the 0.9mm air hole (since i never used it anyway)
Net result? this thing gives me good solid hits, and touch wood, i've yet to have it give me a dry hit or gurgle. The one picture is of the stock 1.8mm air hole, and the other is of my 3.0 mm one. It feels like i could push it even further than the 5v (14w) that my ipow can do.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

For the record this thing is now completely kicking the crap out of my aerotank mini in every way possible. and with the bigger air hole, i can take lung hits pretty comfortably

It should come from the factory with a 5th air flow setting.

Last edited:
Touch wood, a few days in and I don't get dry hits. And it only gurgles for a few minutes after I refill the tank. I blow out a few times... And it's as smooth as silk.

ECiggies told me to prime the coils though. Stick a few drops in the new coil before filling it. So far, so bloody good!

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world

ye, that priming is a must!

I'm so keen to see what the bigger hole is like with the BVC coils. I'm going to check out a flea market tomorrow, just incase by some miracle someone is selling vaping stuff :p

Ok... How's this for strange.

I'm noticing a difference in the vape that the nautilus is giving me, between different tanks (pyrex, hybrid and FMJ)

The hybrid one seemed to be the worst for giving me dry burnt up hits, followed by the plain pyrex one.

The FMJ one is giving me awesome hits every time.

The only thing i can think of that could be making this happen, is the seal between the chimney and the top of the tank.

The hybrid one has its own chimney integrated into it (also has less juice capacity, and a baffle of some sort at the top).

I'm thinking that the pyrex one is giving problems because its not really possible to tighten it a lot as its threaded glass. The FMJ one can be cranked really tight. Could it be that because glass is smoother than steel, that the threads simply can't bite as well?

FMJ = The full stainless steel tank.
Hybrid = Stainless steel + pyrex + baffle
Pyrex = Full glass tank

On a side note, that hybrid one is a total waste of money. It holds less juice, and is more fragile than the plain pyrex (as verified by my own clumsiness)

The nautilus is also going through a lot more juice with the bored out hole, though i guess thats to be expected, especially with me being able to run more power through it. That said, I'm really surprised more people haven"t tried drilling their nautilus' it makes such a huge difference, and the flavour is actually better, because the power is higher.

The nautilus is also going through a lot more juice with the bored out hole, though i guess thats to be expected, especially with me being able to run more power through it. That said, I'm really surprised more people haven"t tried drilling their nautilus' it makes such a huge difference, and the flavour is actually better, because the power is higher.

I would guess that just about everyone with the resources and ability at their disposal would do that.
Hell, I would've done it to my ATm, and now to my Russian... but I do not have the tools, nor the skills, to attempt it safely and without completely farking up the whole thing permanently.

Fair enough ;) it did feel mighty scary drilling that hole with a big 1600w hammer drill.

Really hope theres someone selling vaping stuff at the flea market tomorrow.

A mech + some good 30A IMR batteries + some kanthal or nichrome, and i'll have a go at rebuilding my dead 1.6ohm head. I've watched some pretty awesome videos on rebuilding BDC heads with a single 1.2 ohm - 1.4 ohm micro coil. with the increased airflow and a mech, i think it'd be pretty crazy.

So you can still do the rinse/ alcohol treatment with the new (ceramic) coils?

I'm scared to damage them.

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world

So you can still do the rinse/ alcohol treatment with the new (ceramic) coils?

I'm scared to damage them.

Don't know...
But if you do try, let us know!

when i get my BVC coils (someday soon.... I hope). I'll defo be washing them at the first sign of a drop in performance. no matter how long that takes. I'll squeeze every last second i can out of them :p

Meh, struck out at the flea market.

Got me a shopping list on alibaba, also got half a mind, to have a go at importing more moddy type stuff and selling it.

Will see how it goes ordering stuff for myself first.

Here's whats on my list

Atomizers
Helios RDA R113.00
Kayfun Lite R195.00
Trident RDA R112.00
Stillare RDA R132.00
Tobh Atty R123.00

Mechanical Mods
SS Nemesis Clone R172.99
Private V2 R245.00
Astro Mod R265.00

Batteries
4 X Sony VTC4 R399.00

Odds & Sods
50 Meters of 28g kanthal R64.00
OHM tester R119.00
Nitecore i2 charger R160.00

Total before shipping and duties = R2107.10

A short video showing the kind of vapor production I'm getting off my nautilus, with the new hole drilled.

Meh, struck out at the flea market.

Got me a shopping list on alibaba, also got half a mind, to have a go at importing more moddy type stuff and selling it.

Will see how it goes ordering stuff for myself first.

Here's whats on my list

Atomizers
Helios RDA R113.00
Kayfun Lite R195.00
Trident RDA R112.00
Stillare RDA R132.00
Tobh Atty R123.00

Mechanical Mods
SS Nemesis Clone R172.99
Private V2 R245.00
Astro Mod R265.00

Batteries
4 X Sony VTC4 R399.00

Odds & Sods
50 Meters of 28g kanthal R64.00
OHM tester R119.00
Nitecore i2 charger R160.00

Total before shipping and duties = R2107.10

I'm afraid to tell you that these prices are likely going to result in you getting some very, very nasty quality clones shipped to you.

You are going to land up replacing/rebuying most of the items on here. I know it seems tempting, but these prices are even less than fasttech.com, and that means the quality is going to be very shoddy.

I would advise caution before you proceed. For example those "Sony" batteries at that price and from Alibaba are without a shadow of a doubt not genuine Sony.

I have to agree with @Silver here...

Really you best bet is to tie up with an SA Vendor who can supply you... buying from Alibaba or Fasttech is a crap shoot! YOu may end up with a whole pile of kak that doesn't work and that's the end of your business!

Buy original Kangertech and Aspire stuff from a distributor or tie up with an SA Vendor!

I have to agree with @Silver here...

Really you best bet is to tie up with an SA Vendor who can supply you... buying from Alibaba or Fasttech is a crap shoot! YOu may end up with a whole pile of kak that doesn't work and that's the end of your business!

Buy original Kangertech and Aspire stuff from a distributor or tie up with an SA Vendor!

LOL @Silver

I agree its not worth getting clones u end up selling them and i will never use fast tech again cause its to slow and u gotta deal with the post office ! Which are always striking cause they dont hire permanent staff!

I agree its not worth getting clones u end up selling them and i will never use fast tech again cause its to slow and u gotta deal with the post office ! Which are always striking cause they dont hire permanent staff!

There were 475 people dismissed from the post office today. Violence and intimidation during their strike action. That's quite a high number of people to "release back into the job market" in one go.

As a result of these terminations PO said it would take quite some time for regular levels of service to resume. FML

thanks gents, you've convinced me. i'm looking at other options :)

@n0ugh7_zw Unless you have access to piles and piles of money you're better off going the fasttech route, at least to start with. Check the items out carefully and read all the reviews. I tried contacting a few local retailers because I wanted to do the same thing and most pretty much stopped talking to me when I told them what I had to spend on "stock". My number was quite far below their required 5 figure startup cost. Distributors won't talk to you unless you register a dedicated vaping business.

SA vendors (for the most part) seem to have issues shipping to me. Or more specifically, their couriers do. I don't really know why. I would prefer to buy from SA, but its proving to be a bit of a stumbling block. I'm still trying to see if i can make it work.

Else i'll have to go the states route.

I half suspect, its something along the lines of SA vendors being shocked at the shipping rates to Zim. Though from my perspective, we're pretty used to having our pockets raped on shipping, so it's kinda to be expected.

There were 475 people dismissed from the post office today. Violence and intimidation during their strike action. That's quite a high number of people to "release back into the job market" in one go.

As a result of these terminations PO said it would take quite some time for regular levels of service to resume. FML

Im kinda happy they firing! However we still gotta wait :mad:

Back