Erm.... Aspire Nautilus, Not All Its Cracked Up To Be?

I flush my coils with boiling water every time I fill my tanks, usually once a day. I'm still using the original coil that came with my mPT3 (one of the new types) after a 2 months, and my Aerotank Mega is 3 weeks old with the same coil. Bit of a schlepp maybe, but worth the effort if you want consistency.

My wife couldn't be bothered, so I soak her coils in Vodka for a couple of days at a time, and then flush with boiling water before use - I have 3 for her that I rotate, and this also works.

After flushing the coils I dab them with a paper towel and re-assemble. After re-filling it takes a couple of drags before the juice replaces the water in the wicks and normal service resumes.

My favourite is the Aerotank Mega - you can chain-vape all you want without heating up the juice (a disadvantage of small tanks), and if you prefer lung hits just open up the air-flow control.

Thanks, everyone :)

on a side note, i watched a PBursado video about the EVOD, he recommended, opening the head and taking out some of the extra wicking... for better wicking. and that crap really works :)

So i got an Aspire Nautilus... after my EVOD's wick finally burnt out, and I used the Nautilus solidly for about 2 weeks. Initially the results I got off of it blew my mind. (for like the first day or so)

But since, I've had constant issues with the wick not being saturated enough, and then when it is kinda saturated, I get burnt hits.

So then i decided to pick up a VV mod (Kangertech iPOW). to see if my issues were power related. and low and behold, the nautlius is not handling anything higher than 3.7V...

So for comparison sake, I went out and bought new EVOD coil, and stuck that sucker on my iPOW, and what do you know? instantly better flavour and vapor production, all the way up to 5V.

From all my reading, the Nautilus is meant to be something special... But I don't get why its performing so bad for me, I've been through 3 coils, and I haven't been n00bing it, i've been priming it, and making sure that the coil is as saturated as possible without drowning it.

The juices I've tried on the nautilus are NicEjuice (60PG / 40VG) and Liqua (70PG / 30VG), the Liqua really didn't agree with the nautilus. Both those juices work perfectly in the EVOD.

Anyone got any ideas?

Just for your guys interest, heres what the prices for this kinda stuff are like up here...

Aspire Nautilus = R475-R500
Fancy hollowed out Nautilus tank = R200-R220
Kangertech iPOW VV = R380-R400
Aspire BDC coils = R50.0 each (not per pack)

EVOD starter kit = R730

HI @nOugh7 _ZW

i had a similar issue when trying to run my nautilus on my svd from 4v or up. it was still a much better vape that most of the kangertech tanks i triends. i have since got me the new BVC coil. paid R200 for a pack of 5. before id burn a coil out in 3 days. ive been going strong on the same coil for 2 weeks now. ive set my svd to 12.5 watts. no issues at all. changed the seeting to valtage and ran it at 5v still no issues. no burn taste no dry hits.

best part is. the flavour comes thru alot better now

I must say that I really have mixed feelings about the new BVC coils for the Nautilus. I own both of the tanks (Steel/metal) and I thoroughly tested them out with the new coils. I started off with both of the new BVC coils being duds in the mini.
I went through almost 8 coils and can give some advice on the new coils, don't try dropping them into vodka too soon. Only use it after a few days use!
My overall impression is they out perform the previous generation coil but are just as temperamental. That's my view @n0ugh7_zw

Thanks everyone, my used problem heads are sitting in vodka right now, both were used for a good 5-7 days.
I'm a pretty bad impulse buyer (i like to think of it as pigeon syndrome, i like shiny things)
So... I picked up an authentic Kangertech Aerotank Mini... For now at least i'm really impressed with it. looks pretty damned cool too
Also pretty curious to see if a cleaning will help my Nautilus be the tank it ought to be.

Photo 14-8-2014, 6 06 00 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I've had my Nautilus for 2 weeks now. No major issues. Loving it. Obviously not performing as it did out of the box. But still digging it.

Soaking the original 1.6ohm coil at the moment and using the in box replacement 1.8 coil. There is a slight difference, but still great flavour. I did have some overflow and dry hit issues. But that was just me, being a dumbass. :D

Using with the Vision Spinner 2. 5P Gambit and Castle Long.

I'm no expert here, but can say that I do like the performance & taste from my Nautilus Mini.
I usually just rinse the coils in lukewarm water, contrary to the advice in the manual NOT to rinse the coils.

I'm still on the original coil after almost 2 weeks solid use with no performance loss, or bad / burning taste. I keep late hours so that would equate to 3 / 4 weeks to people with normal sleep patterns.

I did have one 'funny' when cleaning it once. I opened the tank and the coil remained in the top section when I unscrewed the base. Instead of just taking off the glass, I tried removing the coil as is, which I eventually managed. Upon re-assembly, the coil seemed buggered as my MVP showed NON, i.e. no atomizer / coil & I was seriously peeved.
I disassembled the tank again and turned the bottom pin on the coil (one with the rounded hole in it) about 90 degrees (1/4 turn) clockwise when viewing it from the bottom. That did the trick & the coil showed as working again after re-assembly. I'm still using that baby now, so that could be part of the issues others have with the coils - inadvertently twisting it when cleaning.
Next time I get this, I'll actually check if it shorts out on the coil legs or if it loses contact on the middle pin.

All of the 50/50 VG&PG juices I have works like a charm - no dry hits with mouth to lung puffs or the occasional direct inhale and you can virtually empty the tank to the last drop.

Just for shits & giggles I tried a bit of the Twisp Tobacco #1 flavor in it that I still had left over, and I was seriously disappointed. It STILL tasted like crap and after a few drags it also started gurgling on every drag. The gurgling only happened when I fired the Mod, so I'm not sure if the coil doesn't handle high content PG juices very well, or if it's just the Twisp juices that would do this. Even the inside of the glass on the tank steamed up.

I'll stick to the 50/50 juices. Not sure if someone else here has the mini that uses more PG content, but I'd shy away from those using it with the BDC coils.

Update
So the 1.6 ohm head is a dead loss, no difference after the clean. However, the 1.8 ohm one is practically back to new. Though, the vaping experience isn't as satisfying as the Aerotank Mini

Here's what it looks like now.

Photo 15-8-2014, 1 49 52 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Update :p

So the 1.6 ohm head is a dead loss, no difference after the clean. However, the 1.8 ohm one is practically back to new. Though, the vaping experience isn't as satisfying as the Aerotank Mini :p

Here's what it looks like now.

Thanks for the follow-up!
Yeah, some coils don't gain anything from a cleaning; Those are just ready for the bin or the rebuild-bench, depending how adventurous you feel...

Good to hear at least one coil got better, though!

I took the advice and while my one coil was busy soaking and cleaning I decided to rebuild my original Aerotank mega coil with the help of quite a few videos. 1.9ohms and loving every minute of it!

@n0ugh7_zw i agree i have had my nautilus for over a month now and the same happened with me. I bought the authentic one thinking that if there is so much hyper it must be good.
It just doesn't wick fast enough and i kept on getting dry hits.
Plus the glass is so thin i worry every time i have it because one small bump at it seems like its going to break.

Aspire Nautilus Mini with BVC coils is mind blowing.
Been vaping on her for a week now on my Sigelei 30W and I just cant seem to put her down.

I hear voices ...."vape me"....."vape me"...:inlove:

Another update :p

I wasn't quite happy with what the Nautilus was giving me, so i washed the head again, and dried it on a heater. Then i screwed it into the chimney as opposed to screwing it into the base. In other words I put it back together the wrong way.

Net effect? it seems to be performing a bit better. Can get up to 4V now, whereas before i was pushing my luck at even 3.4V. Vapor production and flavour are both way, way better :)

This is with the 1.8 OHM head, the 1.6 OHM was better after 2 cleans, but i can't get it past abour 3.3V without getting dry burnt hits.

Aerotank mini seems to have flooding issues, thats even with running a 35/65 (PG/VG) juice in it. I think it must be something to do with my drags being too deep, or maybe the AFC even at its widest setting is still producing too much vacuum when i take a hit. Maybe i just need thicker juice?

My guess is that you probably just hit too hard for most commercial tanks like that to keep up.
But it's just a guess.

Something else I have also noticed, is that the AeroMini has quite alot of condensation at the base of the driptip when chainvaping or vaping at higher wattages producing a warmer vape.

Whenever I hear some gurgling, step 1 is a quick removal of the driptip followed by a quick wipe of the base and tip with a single square of towel/toiletpaper.

99.9% of the time, the gurgling is then gone.
Just a drop of condensation that was bouncing around the base of the driptip...

After rebuilding my Mega i get a slight bit of a gurgle when I refill but after that its perfect! Went from only being able to hit 8w max to hitting 14 like a champ no problems! And I take drags for almost the full 10 seconds long and deep:whip: got no problem with flooding

For some or other reason, for the first time since getting it, my nautilus give me a dry hit every other toot. I have to blow into the driptip to get some juice onto the wick before it gives good vape. I even tried two new coils. ugh. hate it when it goes like that.
can anyone recommend another clearo to try?

I thought i should post this as i have been trying a while know to get my 1.8ohm BDC coil vaping porperly.
I found out that the holes on the coil was blocked and could understand why.I done more research I found out that Aspire had a lot of bad coils which had similar problems and they recalled them but i guess that the pre packed ones were much harder to recall.

So i took a 1mm drill bit and thought lets try to drill the holes on the coil open and guess what, the 1.8ohm BDC is fully functional without any burnt hits and its wicking properly not flooding.

If anyone is willing to try please let us know if this works for you.

I forgot to mention while doing my research , that the reviews i have seen they still say with the Bottom Dual Coil (BDC) and Bottom Vertical Single Coil (BVC) Aspire Nautilus that the Kangertech MEGA is still a slightly better vape.

I have had my Nautilus 5ml for a while and where not impressed. Since I put a BVC in I can’t put it down. :D

A tip to all, don’t forget to clean the contact point of your atomizer and the battery a dirty contact can reduce your vape quality tremendously.

I don't want to start a new thread, just want to ask where people might know - does the mAN perform just as well as the big AN? Or is there a drop in performance in any department?

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world

I don't want to start a new thread, just want to ask where people might know - does the mAN perform just as well as the big AN? Or is there a drop in performance in any department?

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world
I don't think I've seen a single post indicating that the big one performs better than the mini, on the contrary it seems that the mini is kicking the original's butt in every department other than overall juice capacity.

I don't think I've seen a single post indicating that the big one performs better than the mini, on the contrary it seems that the mini is kicking the original's butt in every department other than overall juice capacity.

Oh really, that's good to know.
I see the mini is more popular, but was wondering if it might be because of convenience... Or whatever.

Gave the original a good go earlier, and it's sublime.
Such a well made product and the vape is just gorgeous.

Back