Erm.... Aspire Nautilus, Not All Its Cracked Up To Be?

Order placed... and paid for

vapingwalrus.com (recommended by Matt from Suck My Mod)
Stillare Clone (infinite)
Kayfun Lite + Clear Tank (EHPRO)
Youde iGO - W
Astro Mod Clone (no clue, but i've watched a review on that exact clone, from that exact place)

Amazon (been buying stuff off of there for years)
Kanthal (24 & 28AWG 35 meters of each)
OHM Meter
2 X Sony VTC4's
Tobecco Micro coil jig
Nitecore i2 charger
10 meters of 3mm braided silica wick (just till i get the hang of cotton wicking)

Now the 3 week wait for the stuff to arrive begins.

The atty I'm most frustrated with after having worshipped them for so long is the Nautilus and Nautilus Mini... for some reason I can't work out why they are just not performing like I remember... maybe it's the new fancy coil? I find even Menthol Ice in them tastes almost perfumey?

@Rob Fisher I found that too. on both coils that started to do that to me, I found they had some fairly hard sticky residue on the coils, that wouldnt wash off.

Though, if you're able to get a Joyetech Delta, I'd highly recommend it, it has the nautilus beat, in every way possible IMHO.

@Rob Fisher I found that too. on both coils that started to do that to me, I found they had some fairly hard sticky residue on the coils, that wouldnt wash off.

Though, if you're able to get a Joyetech Delta, I'd highly recommend it, it has the nautilus beat, in every way possible IMHO.

Thanks for the info... thought it was just me... but I won't be buying anymore commercial tanks again ever... Bottom Fed Squonking atties for me from now on... :rock:

@Rob Fisher Fair enough, I can't wait for my vape mail to arrive, really keen to have a go at building my own coils and all. and the kayfun, from all i've seen about it, looks like an awesome daily driver :)

If you get a decent Kayfun (because a lot of the clones are complete crap) it's an awesome Vape.

Sent from my REO filled with VM Menthol Ice with a drop of coconut!

its the tobeco one, from what i've read and watched its pretty decent

I don't know if I just struck it lucky but my nautilus has been revived. @Rob Fisher try this, put the coil into the stem on the tank first, not the base. The stem needs to be tightly screwed on to the glass tank, I think this is where I was making my mistake, I was too scared to crack it but I thought seeing as it got to the stage that it was unusable I don't have anything to lose so I screwed that thing together very tightly. Result? I've hardly used my Kayfun over the last couple days. Drilling the large air hole out to 2.5mm doesn't hurt either ;)

@BumbleBee , if you read a couple pages back, i did exactly that. is a vast improvement

That said, with the Delta on the scene, my nautilus is going into early retirement till i can get a BVC head to play with. But my bet is that the delta even kicks the nautilus' ass with the BVC head.

Delta has a triple coil head, with excellent wicking, and a 6ml tank. Only gripe with it, is that it's not drill friendly, so you can't widen the draw out any further. You can still lung hit it. but at over 20 watts, its very, very warm.

Also in all my use, with all the juices, there hasn't been 1 dry hit, and zero gurgling. To give you an idea with how hard i drag it, my aerotank mini was gurgling after day 1. Havent really used it since.

Last edited:
hehehe! thats awesome!

installing the head the wrong way, over tightening, and the drilling.

Nough7 get ur self a kayfun ya a bit tricky in the beginning but worh it trust me. I got a nautilus hardly use kayfun vapes like a boss just they dont like to be tiped over leaks when done

Its a shame about the Nautilus. because it is a pretty sweet looking tank :p
Photo 6-9-2014-3.jpeg

The Delta doesn't look even remotely as good.
Photo 6-9-2014-2.jpeg

I don't know if I just struck it lucky but my nautilus has been revived. @Rob Fisher try this, put the coil into the stem on the tank first, not the base. The stem needs to be tightly screwed on to the glass tank, I think this is where I was making my mistake, I was too scared to crack it but I thought seeing as it got to the stage that it was unusable I don't have anything to lose so I screwed that thing together very tightly. Result? I've hardly used my Kayfun over the last couple days. Drilling the large air hole out to 2.5mm doesn't hurt either ;)

Roger that will give it a go... battling to see why that would make a difference but I'll give it a whizz! Thanks! :rock:

Roger that will give it a go... battling to see why that would make a difference but I'll give it a whizz! Thanks! :rock:
I'm wondering if the top seal isn't perhaps getting compressed over time and not letting a vacuum form inside the tank, if the seal is a problem then over tightening would only work for so long, at least until it doesn't seal anymore. Will see how long it lasts, again.

Aspire actually sells replacement seals for the nautilus, perhaps this is the reason, and they can't actually come out and say it, without totally killing the sales of their products?

Aspire actually sells replacement seals for the nautilus, perhaps this is the reason, and they can't actually come out and say it, without totally killing the sales of their products?
Interesting, haven't so seen any parts available locally for the aspire tanks apart from coils and replacement tanks. I wonder if fitting a small piece of plastic sandwich bag between the tank and chimney top section would work.

@BumbleBee TBH what i'd do is look for a place that does laser cutting, and get them to laser cut you a few seals out of red gasket rubber. it'll work a treat and be less prone to being squashed. Should be cheap too. would cost about R50.00 for an A4 sheet of them up here. so bet on it being a bit less down there.

I live under a rock in the bush, what is this "laser" thing you speak of? Can you eat it? I wonder if I can source some of this rubber from an automotive parts shop, I'm pretty handy with a pocket knife :)

:p s*** if thats where you live, then I'm living in the stone age :p yep, any old rubber should do the trick really.

Back